Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012
1 year ago

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. Hillcrester

I seriously doubt he will run in 2012.

October 31, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. JoyB

When my insurance rates go down? What ozone is he sniffing. Ours is up 50% and our agent says we haven't seen anything yet, wait for 2014!! He doesn't have a clue.

October 31, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. janelle

That's a little presumptious, isn't it. Why doesn't Biden wait to see if he is even still VP come next Wednesday before he decides he's going to run in 4 years. Besides, everyone knows it's Hillary's turn in 2016, not Biden's.

October 31, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. Craig from Pa.

Lot of gullible people out there voting for Romney...guess common sense isn't as abundant as it once was....This guy will promise anything that comes down the pike to get a vote....first he is against something, then he is for it...can't seem to nail him down on anything...reminds me of a kid running for high school class president who would promise to bring beer to the water fountains in school...what a bunch of losers you all are!

October 31, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. lovespandas

@vote2012 – flipflopping – are you kidding? seriously? have you seen/heard/watched/noticed how many times Obama has lied, flipped his flop,etc.? You libs are not only dUmB but just plain ignorant.

October 31, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  6. John/kc

I would vote for Biden and his democratic ideals over the Christian Taliban candidates any day. Isn't it odd that 30 years ago these Evangelical holy rollers were pro choice, and at the beckoning of Jerry Farwell, they changed their interpretation of the Bible and claim now that abortion is wrong. Do you really think Jesus Christ ever heard of the word abortion in his time? How then does the Christian right base their complete flip flop on abortion in the last 30 years?

October 31, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. DJESQ

$16 Trillion in DEBT and climbing ...

Elect BO and see it climb faster ...

GO BO – need my Free Stuff

October 31, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. Expat American

Guest-
    In all fairness, no one is dumber than Palin.

And to think Sarah Palin was briefly ‘heiled’ as the leader of the Republican Party for a short while.

Some of the dollar store crossburners still think she is the Republican Party Leader!

October 31, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  9. danita

CNN you have gone to low with this one... I can only laugh out loud.... I guess you want you turn watching folks die at the White House. You and obama are turly dumb and dumber...

October 31, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. Gurgyl

It is DARN LOUD AND CLEAR "WE LOVE YOU, JOE". Hit hard on 47%, shut down FEMA, LET DETROIT GO BANKRUPT, BIN LADEN KILL A SUCCESS, GM SAVE ETC., I am tired today, I will post tomorrow. God bless U, Obama, USA...

October 31, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Romney is NOT My Hero

ROFLMAO - Uncle Joe sure is funny!!!

OBAMA 2012! Clinton 2016!

October 31, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. what a bunch of crap

A lot of gullible people out there voting for Obama. I guess common sense isn't as abundant as it once was. This guy will promise anything that comes down the pike to get a vote. First he's against something, then he's for it. Can't seem to nail him down on anything. Reminds me of a kid running for high school class president who would promise to bring beer to the water fountains in school. What a bunch of loser you all are!

October 31, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  13. joe

no surprise here CNN on bias alert. All negative post goes to Romney and Obama is getting the praise close to election time..Lets not be fulled by these bias networks do your own research about these two candidates and go vote...All we need is good paying full time job in this country not part time and seasonal job..I live in Florida and for the past 4 years it is getting harder for me to get full time job..During Bush years it was easy and I was well off than the last 4 years..And i dont care who wins but it is getting harder for me every year..

October 31, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  14. Romney is NOT My Hero

I guess if horse-Mitt can run for president (for 6 years), anyone can. Biden vs. Horse-Mitt 2016!!!

October 31, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Chris

Are you kidding me Joe? You will not even get your party nomination in 2016 because you have nothing, zero, nada, to offer this country. On top of that it's easy to see that you have a temper and who would want a President in charge that could push the big button just because he lost his self control? No way Jose, I mean Joe!

October 31, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. CryBabies

Obama campaign in desperation mode as the media all in the tank for him. The "hunt" is almost over for that "dog". MSLSD with the Rev. Al Sharpton spouting off with his usual petty, racist remarks against Romney. Whats interesting is the many people I have talked to that voted Obama last time that are voting Romney this time. Couple that with the fact that no one who voted McCain last time are jumping on the Obama sinking ship. Tuesday will be fun.

October 31, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  17. Anonymous

you are out of your mind joe

October 31, 2012 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. thetruthandnothingbutthetruth

am open question to any repub with the brass to answer: Why isnt W stumpn fer Romney? (crickets)

October 31, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  19. Saboth

No way Joe, gotta vote for Hillary in 2016 when Obama gets out of office.

October 31, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  20. Christian

Hillary is the more likely choice. But Biden would make a better president than Romney. Romney isn't even a step up from George W. He's a bit smarter, but slicker, more dishonest.

October 31, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  21. Yankee Doodle Dandy

Joe, you really are dumber than you look. Here is my Nov. 6 prediction:
    I would like to announce the new President of the United States Willard Mitt Romney!!! Congrats on smacking the DEMS in their head. The Silver Platter Generation will have to find work to support themselves as the free ride is OVER, FOOLS!!!!!

October 31, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. Jack Be Humble

Clinton in 2016.

October 31, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  23. Matt

If the Democrats want a guaranteed Republican victory then they'll run Biden in 2016.

October 31, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  24. Pravda

Wow, not likely. Obama and Biden are like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb. America is taking a turn for the good in a few days, putting Obama and Biden WAY behind them...

October 31, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Whatever

The Dems won't let this loose canon headline their 2016 ticket. They barely let him out to been seen as it is.

October 31, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |