Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. Conrad Baylor

" you'll vote for me in 2016."

Indeed I will, Joe ... if Charles Manson is my only alternative.

October 31, 2012 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  2. Russ in Md.

Arch Stanton "The more Republican replies I read, the more determined I get to vote for Democrats. You folks are borderline-illiterate, desperately un-clever, and shouldn't be rewarded by being put in charge of a great country like the United States. Thanks for reminding me, I'll be voting a straight Dem ticket this time."

Someone’s new to reading CNN political blogs. This Obamabot should try reading comments that the progressive liberals leave. It's downright pathetic.

October 31, 2012 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  3. Russ in Md.

Padraig wrote: I am sure the leaders of the Democratic party realize that this is a very bad idea and behind closed doors would let him know. The only way I see them going forward with Biden is if they absolutely had no one else.

Padraig, Hears a laugh, he is the best liberals have to offer. Who else do they have to offer. Pelosi, Reed? Scarry isn't it?

October 31, 2012 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. viaquest

Biden President , that's the funnyist joke iv'e heard in a while!

October 31, 2012 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. Name

Not in this lifetime joey!.

October 31, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  6. brandonj73

Good Lord, doesn't Joe realize that he is unelectable? If the Dems want to GIVE the White House to the Republicans in 2016 (assuming they keep it this year) all they need to do is make Joe the candidate in 2016.

October 31, 2012 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. Name Pat

Joe is wonderful and he'd have my entire Irish families vote and millions more in a heartbeat..Please run 2016...we absolutely love ya in Seattle . You're pure gold..

October 31, 2012 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  8. Leonore H. Dvorkin

Biden would be a great president.

October 31, 2012 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. pkrbkr

Joe is a tell-it-like-it-is politician.....no pretense with him. Kind of refreshing it seems to me! Go, Joe! You'd have my vote! Obama/Biden 2012

October 31, 2012 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Dennis

Blue Ticket til the end of the Century. We can all sit back and watch the GOP implode into a kernel of tasty tasty insanity.

October 31, 2012 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. Liz the First

No, Joe, if history repeats itself, the country will probably be stupid enough to elect another rethug to dismantle all the progress your boss has made, just like they did in 2000. still trying to figure out why peace and prosperity were bad things and how the rethugs managed to convince so may idiots that they were bad things. people need to learn the lessons of history. when you 'elect' an idiot, you get total incompetence that turns a surplus into a huge deficit and prosperity into a near Depression.

October 31, 2012 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  12. BK

I'd rather vote for Hillary Clinton in 2016, I hope she runs.

October 31, 2012 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. Franko K.

Bin Laden thought he'd be a good president too – wanted his Islomafascist minions to knock off Obama so Joey would take over.

October 31, 2012 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  14. Anonymous

@larbo

Doesn't he realize that he is the only reason Obama hasn't been assassinated? one shot away!
    -------------------------------------------------Don't call yourself an American. You're a disgrace to those who sacrificed to make this a country of freedom and equality. Go back to your Klan meeting... they deserve you.

October 31, 2012 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  15. iBod

I love Joe. He is a good guy. If Hillary does not run in 2016, he could just be the front-runner. All assuming Hillary decides not to run, I have his only competition being Governor Cuomo - and maybe Governor O'Malley. If Biden wins the nomination in 2016, Cuomo is the likely VP. Cuomo fits well as VP under either Biden or Clinton; and he would be a great successor for either two. If Hillary does not run and Biden does not get the nomination, then I have my bets on a Cuomo/O'Malley ticket.

I know some may say, Oh well that's a whole four years yet; Well, yeah, but when you're paying attention to politics it is really easy to see who the favorable contenders are. Americans will have a general conclusion that the Obama Administration was a successful one; so Joe Biden may very well be a strong candidate when he announces he is running for President then. I have been paying attention to the right, also. I do not see anyone favorable who the Republican Party would nominate. As a Moderate Liberal, I would not mind voting for Jon Huntsman; but Republicans don't like him because he is associated with the President. I say, Huntsman looks like the right's only choice...for the remainder of the decade, at least. The White House will remain blue, I have said, at least until 2028 or 2032. So long as the Republican Party throws out contenders like Mitt Romney, they stand no chance for awhile.

October 31, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  16. Mittless is Wittless

Sorry Joe, but I think I will be voting for Hillary in 2016. You and Obama will have a successful 4 more years and lead the way for our first woman president.

October 31, 2012 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  17. Meki60

the thought of Biden running for anything will keep me awake tonight.

October 31, 2012 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  18. Tom

I would love to see Joe run! That would insure a republican victory!

October 31, 2012 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  19. Davec

You have got to be kidding!!

October 31, 2012 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  20. Ancient Texan

I can't even begin to imagine the chaos that would result worldwide with a Biden presidency.

October 31, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Clyde Lemerle

No one with a brain cell would follow this incompetent, nasty, hack to the lavatory.
    ...or Obama, for that matter.

October 31, 2012 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  22. jonesy

republicans are for some good things: right to bear arms (self defense? no argument there), pro-life (you really wanna be pro-death? forget their pro-war hypocrisy for now), but everything else they love is a load of carp.
    Biden 2016, yeah he'd get my (nomination and) vote.

October 31, 2012 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  23. claudia

What the hell kind of comment is that "larbo"? that a threat? watch it...could find yourself face to face with secret service. Cut the hate crap, intellect allows an individual to articulate their viewpoint. Your idiotic comment betrays your intellectual capacity.

October 31, 2012 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  24. andrew

I love Joe Biden. He had an outstanding Senate career and has been a great Vice President and hopefully will be for another four years. He is a bright guy and hopefully he knows that at age 74 in 2016 he will be too old to be beginning a presidency.I am 74 now and not anti old guys. Just a realist.

October 31, 2012 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  25. Reality

@larbo

That is Not a funny joke, and I think it is actually a criminal offense. I know you're upset, but calm down.

October 31, 2012 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |