Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'
October 31st, 2012

Biden: 'You'll vote for me in 2016'

Sarasota, Florida (CNN) - Did Vice President Joe Biden court his first voter Wednesday for a possible 2016 presidential bid?

While he has previously hinted at a potential run, Biden smiled as he mentioned–perhaps jokingly–a White House run on the phone with a voter during a campaign stop at a Sarasota, Florida restaurant.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As he mingled with fans and supporters, one woman handed the vice president a cell phone at the event, urging Biden to speak with her brother, a Republican.

Biden took the phone, immediately saying: "I'll tell ya what, you may be a Republican but I love ya."

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses inside the restaurant, the former 36-year senator quickly got into a serious discussion with the relative about the health care law. A man standing nearby said, "I think he met his match," referring to the detailed conversation.

After nearly two minutes on the call, Biden moved to end the conversation. "Look, I'm not trying to talk you into voting for me, I just wanted to say hi to you."

"And after it's all over, when your insurance rates go down," he continued, "then you'll vote for me in 2016. I'll talk to you later."

It was unclear whether Biden was kidding or not, but a few supporters standing around him did not seem to laugh. One person, however, could be heard clapping at the 2016 remark.

The vice president moved on and continued to take photos with fans at the restaurant.

While Biden would be 73 in four years, the vice president stirred speculation last year when he left the door open to a 2016 campaign.

And his wife, Jill, fueled more rumors when she told NBC this summer that she wasn't sure whether "this is his last campaign."

"Joe would make a great president," she added.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Florida • Joe Biden
  1. Kenji

And you think people hadfun making fun of george bush?...... slam fest

October 31, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  2. kiwisepp

I like him. he is a great person.

October 31, 2012 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  3. Philip

Say it ain't so Joe.

October 31, 2012 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  4. R.F. Burns

And if my cat had wings, he'd be an eagle.

October 31, 2012 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. Thomas Weaver

That this crazy BiteMe would actually 'think' about being president makes me wonder if this loon shouldn't be in the white jacket with the extra long sleeves, right now.

October 31, 2012 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  6. t3chn0ph0b3

Jason Sudekis is praying for this, as are all other political comic actors and comedians. Go Joe!

October 31, 2012 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  7. Leslie

I'll vote for him – if he's running for dog catcher!

October 31, 2012 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  8. WOW Permanently moderated by CNN

Bad form larbo... I can't believe that CNN let that one by... Not that anyone will see this

October 31, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  9. WOW Permanently moderated by CNN

One word Joe.... Nope!

October 31, 2012 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  10. Meatloaf

Silly man.

October 31, 2012 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  11. Oregon

I like Biden, but I think he'd be too old. My mind goes more toward Clinton, Warren, or Feingold.

October 31, 2012 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  12. aaron

Biden is going to be too old for it. Reagan was up there in the years when he was elected. He snoozed for 8 years, let Nancy and her astrologers make all the decisions.

October 31, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  13. JJ

Biden is a freaking embarrassment and a joke. He's not any more qualified to be in the white house than Obama was. Neither one of them are qualified to be janitors. Thank God that neither one of them will be around come February!!

October 31, 2012 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  14. Smeagel4T

Like Joe a lot. He's a real honest American. I'd rather Hillary run, but I'll take her word for it that she won't. I'd vote for Warren, but she won't be ready by 2016. Warren is the only one in politics that articulates true honest free market capitalism in which the consumer is placed on a level playing field with the supplier. The GOP hates it because it contradicts their false pro-corporation capitalism agenda.

October 31, 2012 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  15. Smeagel4T

Joe's amazing. I dno't know how anybody can keep their sense of humor when having to deal with an increasingly ignorant and obstinent GOP. Joe's been around long enough to remember when there was a legitimate opposition to strike bi-partisan deals with. The GOP has now increasingly become the party of ignorant and obstinent RINOs.

October 31, 2012 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  16. John

larbo, probably the worst comment ever. You are a pretty awful human being.

October 31, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  17. Hallmark

If that's not a good enough reason to vote for Romney...

October 31, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  18. Sonic10158

I may prefer Obama over Romney, but I would never vote for this looney.

October 31, 2012 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  19. Namehorsetrackwidow

Biden v Christie debate in 2016 will be AWESOME!

November 1, 2012 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  20. Chris T

Joe 2016. He is a wealth of knowledge.

November 1, 2012 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  21. Ap

Please lord no!!! I think I can't stand good old joe, more than I can't stand Obama

November 1, 2012 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  22. teen against obama

If Biden goes to a press confrence, they have to raise his chair to increase his IQ. Lord knows what trouble this idiot would get in to sitting in the Oval Office.

November 1, 2012 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  23. Anonymous

You got to be kidding me if he think he could be a president .

November 1, 2012 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  24. Orlando

That's not funny very disrespectful

November 1, 2012 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  25. Listen to me young padawan

Yeah, no way in hell would Biden ever win an election for President

November 1, 2012 12:43 am at 12:43 am |