President Obama to wrap up election campaigning in Iowa
November 1st, 2012

President Obama to wrap up election campaigning in Iowa

Washington (CNN) – President Obama will wrap up his re-election campaign Monday with a rally in Des Moines, Iowa, his campaign announced Thursday. Early Monday, Obama will be stumping in Wisconsin and Ohio before heading to Iowa. The Monday stops will cap a weekend of cross-country campaigning.

Iowa was crucial to the president's 2008 victory – both his win in the state's caucuses that helped propel him to the Democratic nomination, and he captured the state in the general election with a 54%-44% victory over John McCain.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter @KevinBohnCNN.

He has visited the state at least 11 times this year.

While the state only has six electoral votes, they could be key depending on how some of the larger states break.

Obama was at 50% among likely Iowa voters, and Romney at 44%, according to a NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist poll released Thursday. That's slightly tighter than earlier in October, though the result was just outside the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points. A poll released Wednesday indicated a much tighter race in the Hawkeye State – the University of Iowa survey had Obama at 42.7% and Romney at 41%.

Mitt Romney will be ending his campaign Monday with an event in Manchester, New Hampshire – another small state whose four electoral votes could be pivotal. Romney, who has visited Iowa at least 14 times this year, will be stopping in Dubuque, Iowa on Saturday as part of his last weekend campaign blitz. Republicans think Romney's campaign was got a boost from the endorsement of the state's largest newspaper, the Des Moines Register, last weekend.

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Ohio • Wisconsin
  1. Southern Moderate

I am with Iowa , they know what jello tastes like and do not want a President that is full of it. I live in a reddest of red states and I am a retired white woman and for the life of me cannot understand my fellow neighbors who vote for anyone as long they are a republican, locally , and nationally And they do not watch the news , debates , the issues because they know Obama is bad because they heard it and believe it . Romney is going to cure us all.of all ills. No President can do that , and with the congress we have , we all got screwed .When I speak of issues they agree with me on many points and are suprised to find out that is the democratic platform. And I hear well "Romney really does not mean what he says ", so they are not worried what he stands for .He is a republican that is all that matters.

So thank goodness for the purple states where people watch , listen and learn before voting., even
    if Romney carries Iowa these people are not in lock step , they have their own ideas and know the issues.
    Not so in the deep south.

Thank goodness for swing states that watch the issues . Thank you Iowa for paying attention!

November 1, 2012 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. Annirich

He wants this election over before everyone finds out that he and Hillary have co mitted treason and are complicit in the deaths of Ambassador Stevens and 3 other men! They were involved in gun running in Benghazi! That's why the insulting "it was the Video" coverup! Naturally the MSM won't cover this but it's out there now! He and Hillary have now put our country at risk!

November 1, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Mitts Dad

@Todd P.

These kids won't even listen to their parents or bosses,

-----------------------------------

I wish my son would listen to me and show his tax returns for the last 10 years.

November 1, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Maeve

I look at the comments on these boards, and I don't even recognize my fellow Americans. You all must be heartburned with your diets of vitriol. Whoever is elected, I'm hoping for moderation and compromise in Washington at long last. I'm hoping the voters will gracefully swallow either the win or loss of their man and will aim for putting aside their differences for the sake of the common good. I'm hoping all will step up and be real honorable Americans.

November 1, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. Joan

God love American, he will not unleashed a liar to take over this great country. Romney and is rich friends want to have the Power to crush the middle class. It is a shame that because of the racism many middle class people not seeing the true picture. With all that money the special interest is puring into a Romney Presidency they will have the say in Congress without a doubt. Speical interest is going to be running the country if Romney win. Can't wait for this election to over and the President will win and must win for the people sake. My prayer that God will keep him and his family safe. Continue to give him wisdom and patience to carry out this great tasks. This man has accomplish great things withou the help of congress and God knows him. Blessings from the almighty Mr. President on your next 4 years journey. We know it is going to be even better than your first.,

November 1, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. gladiatorgrl

GO BAMA!! NO DRAMA OBAMA has shown nothing but grace and thoughtfulness and the GOP can't stand it.

November 1, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

-K8RF

Think gas for $2 a gallon after Keystone pipeline is approved and drilling in Gulf is resumed. Food prices will fall after gas prices drop. Tax cuts will supercharge the economy. Government doesn't create jobs, it destroys them by taking dollars out of the private sector. Vote Romney
    ************************************************
    Been there with the tax cuts: did not work in creating consumer demand or in creating jobs. All it did was shift more capital out of the country, along with jobs. Oil prices are controlled by an international commodities market, not the president, and domestic oil production is actually up over what it was 4 years ago. Oil prices are sset by speculators, not by the normal laws of supply and demand. Voting for Romney will ensure that we become little more than a society of Wal-Mart greeters unless you are of Romney's class. Romney does not care in the least about you after you cast your vote for him.

November 1, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. joe

i pray to GOD our country has the wisdom to vote for president obama again. he is an outstanding father, husband and role model for all of our children. he has been a steady and reliable leader who slowly but surely brought our country back from the abiss. good luck mr. president and God bless you and your family.

November 1, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Thomas

They don't want Romney in Michigan , Massachusetts , nor California .

So let him go to Iowa for a visit .

November 1, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  10. Hidingandwatching

Iowa, The people who gave us Jimmy Carter.

November 1, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. us_1776

Final Obama strategy.

Take Ohio = Game Over for Romney.

November 1, 2012 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. Red will be Blue

Of the 'toss up' states, Romney will win North Carolina and perhaps, Florida (remotely possible). Obama in an electoral landslide! Can't wait for the celebration on 11/7 and for Romney to vanish from the public's eyes!

November 1, 2012 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. The Real Tom Paine

-middleclass women

When Obama took office, gas was approximately 1.85 a gallon, it is now hovers between 3.50 and 4.00 a gallon. When Obama took office I had recieved a raise every year. I have not recieved one since, and i consider myself lucky because I have a job. When Obama took office, one great benefit of the Flexible Spending Health Plans, allowed me to purchase over the counter drugs with my Flexible Spending. His great health plan, (that he and the rest of congress are exempt from) took that away.
    Please explain why I would ever want to vote for him again?
    **********************************
    Gas was not $1.85/per gallon, it was at about $4.35. Your company's health care plans are based on experience, and it is the decision of your employer and your health insurance company to offer Flexible Spending Plans, not the ACA: if you have not received a raise in 4 years and your health care sucks, then look for another job: its what Romney would tell you to do. By the way, had the ACA not been passed, you could have lost your coverage if you had a pre-existing condition, and your kids can stay on your health insurance longer.

Now, why would you go vote for a man who wants to get rid of it one day, and changes his mind the next? Romney wants the corporations to make money, not you.

November 1, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. ONLY 5 more days until Obama is RE-ELECTED

@Mike W – The American people have seen differently. Not all of them, but enough of them, have seen that Romney is not a bad guy – that the image put forth in the ads and the media simply aren't true.
    -------------------------------------
    This just exemplifies shows the ongoing dumbing-down of the right wing electorate. I'd guess Romney is not a bad guy. But he will BE TERRIBLE as a President. The ONLY things he has been consistent on over the last YEAR, is that Obama is bad. He has flip-flopped on every issue, catering his position to the audience in attendance. That was never more apparent than in debate #3 where he agreed with the POTUS on every foreign position, in spite of being against those positions the day before. Why would anyone with more than 2 functioning brain cells vote for a man that changes his position more frequently than we change our socks. That is REALLY SCARY !

Obama's visit to Iowa or WI is merely to rally the troops and let then know that they need to get out and vote. It's got nothing to do with being scared. Romney is the one who has tried to gain political traction on every recent event, as in open mouth remove foot. He'll be doing that Wed during his concession speech!

November 1, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. Circle R

Great point, Southern Moderate. As a (VERY red state) Georgian, I am embarrassed by the lockstep mentality of the right wing in my state. I would agree that so-called "swing states" are actually that way because much of their population are critical thinking individuals who do their own homework before blindly following the herd.

November 1, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  16. Jessie P.

Why hasn't CNN been reporting on the republicans in Florida and other swing states that are getting people going door to door "asking to pick up your mail-in ballots" and sending robo calls that state to "vote on November 7 instead of November 6" and the list goes on and on? A friend of mine got one of these situations, but knew better, of course. If Mitt Romney is "so good lol" then they would not need to resort to these kind of tactics to win! This sure makes the republican party look weak and stupid. We are registered republicans and will be voting for Obama on Tuesday, November 6,,,,,,,,,,so please join us!

November 1, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. MichaelEd

A liar is no better than a thief. I wouldn't vote for a thief, so why in the world would I vote for Romney?

November 1, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  18. Southern Moderate

I am with Iowa , they know what jello tastes like and do not want a President that is full of it. I live in a reddest of red states and I am a retired white woman and for the life of me cannot understand my fellow neighbors who vote for anyone as long they are a republican, locally , and nationally And they do not watch the news , debates , the issues because they know Obama is bad because they heard it and believe it . Romney is going to cure us all.of all ills. No President can do that , and with the congress we have , we all get screwed .When I speak of issues they agree with me on many points and are suprised to find out that is the democratic platform. And I hear well "Romney really does not mean what he says ", so they are not worried what he stands for .He is a republican that is all that matters.

Not so in the deep south.

November 1, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. Dean

Worst. President. Ever.

November 1, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. Annirich

Where is my comment CNN? Huh? You can't hide this story forever. Obo and Hillary were gun running through Ambassador Stevens. That's why the cover-up of "it was the video"! Obo countermanded standing orders to protect Americans. Are you people going to stand for this? Obo and Hillary were complicit in the murders of those Americans and now they're trying to cover it up along with the MSM

November 1, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Claudia, Houston, Tx

NEW GOP AD: STOP OBAMA, he saved the auto industry, umemployment is down, everyone has healthcare, the economy is recovering, he's ended the war in Iraq, our troops are returning from Afghan, not one U.S. soldier killed in Libya, he supports the Lilly Ledbetter equal pay act for women, he supports women rights, he supports equal rights for gays/lesbians, he supports teachers and our schools, he killed Osama bin Laden, there hasn't been an attack on U.S. soil since 9-11, families get tax breaks, the jobs market is recovering. THE GOP PLAN FAILED TO STOP PRESIDENT OBAMA AND AMERICANS ARE RECOVERING DESPITE THE GOP PLAN TO DO NOTHING.

November 1, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  22. Mario

Anyone who thinks Romney care about them is incredibly stupid. His record speaks for itself, he's a liar, he's selfish, he's heartless, and he has nothing but hatred and disgust for anyone less fortunate than himself. If he wins America will pay a huge horrible price for allowing it to happen. President Obama has shown courage, compassion, and concern for all Americans and yes I am better off now than I was four years ago. President Obama is the first and only president to truly help the GLBT community and it means the world to me to finally have a president than does not demonize me or turn away in disgust.

November 1, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Matt- Iowa
    Nothing left but to wait and see Matt. Thanks for your civil response, and tell your brother, the Obama supporter, thanks for me!

November 1, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. luckjoe

Obama has done everything he can to take down America. If given another 4 years is good bye forever to our country.

November 1, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. laura ashley

Yes, Where is my comment. How is it that 50% of the nation is for Romney but only 10% of comments are pro Romney. You are pathetic CNN. Sorry I clicked over.

November 1, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |