Axelrod: Obama closing argument 'from his loins'
November 2nd, 2012

Axelrod: Obama closing argument 'from his loins'

Lima, Ohio (CNN) – David Axelrod described the message coming from President Barack Obama days before Election Day as "coming from his loins."

"I've never seen him more exhilarated than he is right now. He believes in what he's doing. He believes in what he's fighting for," Axelrod told reporters Friday after the president's event in Lima, Ohio. "You can see in the speech that he's delivering that this is coming from his loins."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Axelrod's comments followed Obama's third campaign event of the day in Ohio, the latest example of the emphasis Team Obama is putting on the state.

The auto bailout is something the president cites as a major first term accomplishment. It has taken center stage here after TV and radio ads from Mitt Romney's campaign criticized the president over saving companies that are now expanding in China. Obama's campaign and auto CEOs have pushed back hard against the charge that Jeep (owned by Chrysler) and GM are now shipping jobs overseas, a message Axelrod perpetuated.

Axelrod said the ads were slipped on Ohio residents "like a thief in the night," and that Romney "got caught." He described the spot as a "risk" for the Romney campaign, necessary because of their precarious path to 270 electoral votes.

"It backfired horribly," Axelrod said.

"A few ads at the end of a campaign isn't a campaign," senior adviser David Plouffe, standing next to Axelrod, told reporters.

Plouffe, exuding electoral confidence, called recent efforts by the Romney campaign in Pennsylvania "fairytale" and said the auto ad will only serve as a reminder of the president's steps to rescue the industry, which provides a significant number of jobs in the Buckeye State.

An "utterly confident" Axelrod said come Tuesday, the Romney campaign "will be left to wonder why the mythical wave never came."

Filed under: 2012 • David Axelrod • President Obama
  1. josh rogen

is there anyone less honest than Axelrod?

November 3, 2012 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  2. Javi

Voting for Romney. Obama has offered no new vision for our United States; he has not offered new ideas. Romney is going to work with the other side to create a strong economic recovery. Romney all the way!

November 3, 2012 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  3. Javi

Voting for Romney because he is offering ideas, solutions, and is a centrist who is going to bring economical confidence back to our nation.

November 3, 2012 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  4. Javi

President Obama's comments are un-inspiring. Romney's closing arguments make sense, we can have a strong comic recovery with Romney as President of these United States. He is offering new ideas, a new refreshing vision, strong economic growth, and has proved as Governor to work well with Democrats. I'm a moderate, and Romney is who I am voting for! Romney all the way!

November 3, 2012 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  5. Javi

As a latino, Romney has captures my attention by talking about the economy. He wants a strong economic recovery as latinos understand this truth. Latinos want a strong economic recovery, a responsible economical country, and the United States to remain a strong economical force for our future children. Romney all the way!

November 3, 2012 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  6. MesaMax

And yet, when all is said and done, we are looking at the last days of a failing, flailing presidency.

November 3, 2012 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  7. Name TSOT

Well, havin been born in
    Ohio, Cuyahoga co, i know
    about the auto industry, u can bet darn well I
    would NOT VOTE for a
    man who had No
    intentions of helping me
    keep my job or livelyhood. Thankyou , Mr. President.I voted for you. A good
    man DESERVES A SECOND
    CHANCE.

November 3, 2012 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  8. Name TSOT

Also, Romney was handed wealth. He actually does not understand not ever
    havin money. He tells one to go ask parents for
    money? He said, his
    father gave his mother a
    rose eveyday, excuse me, my father gave my
    mother smiles, hugs &
    kisses. Any extra money
    Went to family needs.
    Thats IF there was any at all.

November 3, 2012 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  9. TJC

Classic Romney. Still hasn't figured out that it's hard to lie day in and day out on the public stage without someone noticing.

November 3, 2012 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  10. RudyG

Maybe his loins are doing the thinking and he can't come up with any new ideas! So he saved 1 million union jobs in the auto industry. If he hadn't he would have been castigated by his own party. The unions are their get-out-the-vote machine! There are 14 million unemployed. They have no hope of employment in this economy. At 171,000 new jobs per month we're just barely keeping up with population growth. TIME'S UP!! Back to Chicago goes the socialist, with loins and all.

November 3, 2012 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  11. honest marie

Erin Bennett should realize that this economy was in the "toilet "when Republicans left the stage in 2008.Both good paying jobs and not too good paying jobs were fast downward slope. Our industries both manufacturing and technological were in utter neglect as we fought two wars under the leadership of the Republican party who lacked the ability to chose or fight these wars sensibly. They left Wallstreet unchecked and neglected our infractures. Now we are beginning to have some structure and we are beginning to see evidence of growth. Remember the world moved on with 21st technology and skills while our leadership left us in technology darkness. Now that are economy is healing we need to train iour citizens in the new skills needed in this 21sf century economy. The jobs are there but at this time we do not have enough qualified worker to take up jobs in these organizations no matter how high or how low. This obviously explains the seemly high unemployment rate. We definitely are in the right direction in every agenda has presented. Now our economy is no longer bleeding. It is growing no matter how modest. We all know that the world wide inflation did not help either. In all we are moving forward in the right direction . We must continue to move FORWARD for the good of our country America and more importantly for the good of our people, the American people.

November 3, 2012 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  12. silvertop

The president's closing statement: the best revenge is to vote. Revenge?
    Romney: I want you to vote for love of country.
    Come to think of it, in all the talks of hope and change, did the president talk to his people about love of country?

November 3, 2012 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  13. Jerry

Mr. Obama's Missions Accomplished:

o Jobs screw up
    o Economy screw up
    o Foreign policy screw ups (Benghazi, etc., etc., etc.)
    o Sandy screwup (Doing a good job, yeah)
    o American people screw ups (lies, lies, and more lies) [Blame it on his "loins", or Bush?]

November 3, 2012 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  14. CryBabies

Message to Axelrod...Too bad for him that the American people don't believe in his message. You'll see come early Wednesday morning Davey.

November 3, 2012 04:00 am at 4:00 am |
  15. Jennifer

Obama had no passion at the first debate-until he thought HE MIGHT LOSE HIS JOB LIKE THE REST OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2012 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  16. wolf

obama 2012!!!

November 3, 2012 04:49 am at 4:49 am |
  17. Name

The president need to break it down for the american people and informed them that if you and or ur spouse aren't making 250,000 then you are cutting ur on throat voting for Willard Romney

November 3, 2012 05:10 am at 5:10 am |
  18. Linda E Nebr

First off, I find Mr Axelrod's use of "from the loins" beyond offensive in this context!! I know every US Pres has chosen their advisers. I DO NOT believe Axelrod was directed to say this by Pres Obama. I would have to hear & see on a video Pres Obama's use of this type of word phrasing to believe he condoned Axelrod's word use. IF I believe CNN's reporting is factual (which is still a ? in my mind!) Axelrod's admission of: "I just wanted to see if I could get the word "loins" in the story" is PROOF enough for ME that it was only Axelrod's choice of words!! For what purpose Mr Axelrod?? Are you aspiring to be a "shock joke" down the road in your carreer?? Maybe I'm nieve, but I believe in God too so someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding something!?!?!? I voted for Obama/Biden in 2008 & will AGAIN in 2012!! I cherish the PRiVELEDGE my country gives me to vote & I have exercised that right since age 21.

November 3, 2012 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  19. mtiger

>"I just wanted to say loins," the president's senior adviser added with a smirk. "I wanted to see if I can get loins in the story."

Nice to know how seriously he takes the election.

November 3, 2012 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  20. JMoore

Obama is an empty chair, don't forget the dictator forced American car dealerships to close! The company didnt decide, the dictators czars decided! His attorney general decided who to prosecute based on race. Remember the black panthers that walk free after voter intimidation! America is not Europe and its not the EU! When corporation don't run their business correctly they should go out of business! Whoever heard of supporting a losing business and telling a working private business they cannot continue but the must close. This is backward and stupid. To reelect Obama and his group is to approve of this kind of government and encourage it continual take over of the United States! Give me liberty of give me death!

November 3, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  21. crazeelegs

That was another Myth with egg all over his face by his lies of Jeep moving overseas & losing jobs; that the CEO of Chrysler had to correct such a lie. Mitt has to be corrected often with his many lies: factcheckers (he hates–no wonder), Candy Crowley (2nd debate about president calling Libya attack it an act of "terror"), and now the Chrysler CEO. If you don't catch Mitt in his lies–at least listen to those who do and who have. Mitt will always be known for lying–that will be his lasting image–forever.

November 3, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  22. kevin

From his loins? How about from the heart? Axlerod is an idiot to say that kind of crap and excuse it away by saying just want to see if you would include it in a story. Axle dummy if he speaking from his lions from his lions where then, anatomically, do you think his brains are? So Axle does Obama even have a heart to speak from?

November 3, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  23. Dar

He believes his lies is what Axelrod is really saying. Libis ring a bell with anyone?

November 3, 2012 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  24. just_a_moderate

That reaffirms what ever poll says...people generally trust Obama as more genuine, more sincere.

Tip of the hat to Axelrod...he worked loin in...I fortunately had innards in the drinking game.

November 3, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  25. BillofRight

I really used to like Axelrod when he was on "Simon & Simon".

November 3, 2012 08:38 am at 8:38 am |