Excerpts: Romney's closing argument
November 2nd, 2012

Excerpts: Romney's closing argument

(CNN) - In his speech Friday in Wisconsin, GOP nominee Mitt Romney will lay out the "closing argument" of his campaign. Below are excerpts of his speech, as released by his campaign.

The closing hours of a campaign have a dynamic of their own. Many voters have known for some time who they will vote for. Others are just now putting aside the demands of daily life and considering how their vote will affect their life, the lives of their children, and the course of the country we love.

We ask you to look beyond the speeches and the attacks and the ads. Look to the record, the accomplishments and failures, and the judgment. Words are cheap. A record is real and earned with effort. Change cannot be measured in speeches; it is measured in achievements.

Four years ago, candidate Obama promised to do so very much, but he has fallen so very short.

***

The question of this election comes down to this: do you want more of the same or do youwant real change?

President Obama promised change, but he could not deliver it. I promise change, and I have a record of achieving it.

I built a business, and turned around another. I helped put an Olympics back on track. And with a Democratic legislature, I helped turn my state from deficit to surplus, from job losses to job growth, and from higher taxes to higher take-home pay.

This is why I am running for president. I know how to change the course the nation is on, how to get us to a balanced budget and how to build jobs and rising take-home pay. Accomplishing real change is not something I just talk about–it is something I have done. And it is what will do when I am President of the United States.

If you believe we can do better, if you believe America should be on a better course, if you are tired of being tired, then I ask you to vote for real change. Paul Ryan and I will bring real change to America, from Day One.

When I am elected, the economy and American jobs will still be stagnant.

I won't waste any time complaining about my predecessor. I won't spend my effort trying to pass partisan legislation unrelated to economic growth. From Day One, I will go to work to help Americans get back to work.

***

You can choose your future. You know what you need to know. You can stay on the path of the last four years, or you can choose real change.

You know that if the President is re-elected, he will still be unable to work with the people in Congress. He has ignored them, attacked them, blamed them. The debt ceiling will come up again, and shutdown and default will be threatened, chilling the economy. The President was right when he said he can't change Washington from the inside. In this case, you can take him at his word.

When I am elected, I will work with Republicans and Democrats in Congress. I will meet regularly with their leaders. I will endeavor to find those good men and women on both sides of the aisle that care more about the country than about the politics. Together, we will put the nation on track to a balanced budget, to reform our tax code, and to finally reaffirm our commitment to financial responsibility.

You know that if the President is re-elected, he will continue his war on coal and oil and natural gas. He will send billions more dollars to his favorite solar and wind companies. And all of this will guarantee higher energy prices at the pump and fewer jobs. Today, gas costs twice what it did when President Obama was elected.

When I am elected, we will change course on energy. I know just how much energymeans to middle-class families. We can help hold down prices at the pump and grow new energy jobs and manufacturing jobs.

***

I have watched over these last few months as our campaign has gathered the strength of a movement. It's not just the size of the crowds, it's the depth of our shared conviction … the readiness for new possibilities … the sense that the challenges are clear and our work will soon begin. It has made me strive even more to be worthy of the office … to campaign as I would govern … to speak for the aspirations of all Americans.

I learned as governor of Massachusetts that the best achievements are shared achievements. I learned that respect and good will go a long way, and are usually returned in kind. That is how I will conduct myself as president. I will reach out to both sides of the aisle. I will bring people together, doing big things for the common good. I won't just represent one party, I'll represent one nation. I'll try to show the best of America, at a time when only our best will do.

***

I do not believe this is a moment when our big dreams will be satisfied with a smallagenda. I will lead America to a better place, where confidence in the future is assured, not questioned. This is not a time to settle!

We are four days away from a fresh start. Four days away from the first day of a new beginning. My conviction that better days are ahead is not based on promises and hollow rhetoric but solid plans and proven results.

And an unshakeable faith in the American spirit.

If there is anyone worried the last four years are the best we can do, if there is anyone who fears that the American dream is fading away, if there is anyone who wonders whether better jobs and better paychecks are things of the past, I have a clear and unequivocal message: with the right leadership, America will come roaring back.

We are Americans. We can do anything.

The only thing that stands between us and some of the best years we have known is lack of leadership. And that's why we have elections.

This Tuesday is a moment to look into the future and imagine what we can do ... to put the past four years behind us and start building a new future.

You saw the differences when President Obama and I were side-by-side in our debates. Hesays it has to be this way. I say it can't stay this way. He's offering excuses,I've got a plan. He's hoping we'll settle. I can't wait for us to get started.

Americans don't settle. We build, we aspire, we listen to that voice inside that says, "We can do better." A better job; a better life for our kids; a bigger, better country.

That better life is out there, waiting for us. Our destiny is in your hands.

***

This is much more than our moment. It is America's moment of renewal and purpose and optimism. We have journeyed far and wide in this great campaign for America's future. And now we are almost home.

One final push will get us there. We have known many long days and short nights and now we are close.

The door to a brighter future is there, open, waiting for us. I need your vote, I need your help. Walk with me, walk together. Let us start anew.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. California Gary

My favorite part is where he says he won't waste time on any legislation that is not directly related to the economy. That's a good one! I wonder if he consulted with all those Tea Party Republicans in the House about that......they came into office in 2010 promising the very same thing. And what did we get? Jobs, jobs, jobs turned into abortion, abortion, abortion. And I think "woman in california" offered up what this speech is really saying......spot on woman.

November 2, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  2. Election Watcher

Just turned the TV off because Romney was speaking. I can' t stand stand the guy and if you look he looks like a corrupt and evil person. Good luck Dems and I am sure the world is with you and we are all watching.

November 2, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  3. Buckeye

So Willard, what exactly is in the 2009 tax returns that you are hiding? No way we'll elect someone who will not honor the time honored tradition of releasing 10 years of tax returns.
    Ohio is going to Obama, please stay out of my state forever more you tax dodging creep.

November 2, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  4. proud canadian

No matter what Romney says he cannot be trusted. His Millionaires and some Billionaires friends cannot win against the will of the people. Canadians looking forward to work with Obama another 4 years. The race is not that close as the pundits want you to believe. It will a landslide with Obama getting over 300 electoral college votes.

November 2, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. Sniffit

Wow...the "I'm a Dem/liberal/Obama voter who is voting for Mittens" fakers are out in force today it seems. Haha...NOBODY BELIEVES YOU. Even Mittens and other GOPers, like LIngle in Hawaii, who tried to make ads selling this silly meme of "disaffected Obama supporters are all switching to Mittens" had to use fakers and got caught doing it. Why? Because they couldn't find the real thing. It's a fabrication. Next, they'll have the freekin Easter Bunny and a Leprachaun telling you to believe in trickle down economics too.

November 2, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. tim

will the oil . help the usa and go to us ??????????

November 2, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Anthony

Romney's argument boils down to this. I won one debate. I won't change my mind again before the election. Vote for me.

November 2, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. Darryl

Mitt Romney is the most lieing, evil man I've ever wittnessed in someone trying to be the POTUS ever. He is a Wolf in Sheeps clothing. Discusting how he can trick and decieve people the way he does even when he's caught in deception and blaten lies.

November 2, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. California Gary

Another month of positive job numbers.......and the past two months were revised upwards as well. Our recovery is on track......why in the world would we want to return to the policies that put us in the hole in the first place? Does anyone out there actually have a "clue" as to what Romney would do about anything if he were to actually win the presidency? Do you really want an etch-a-sketch president? One that is totally beholding to the Koch brothers? Really?

November 2, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Recovering republican voter: Never again!

@ Wendy

Democrats on this post repulsive? What makes you just assume that if someone doesn't like Mitt Romney they're a democrat? Does the likes of Donald Trump, John Sununu, Allen West, Michelle Bachman, etc. not bother you at all? Mitt Romney, his campaign and surrogates have done enough dividing of this country to last us several lifetimes.

Bias media? I used to watch Fox, so give me a break. Not only are they bias, they've mastered fear mongering, bigotry and hate. Wendy, I think you're a fraud.

November 2, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. Borderless

@Thomas
    I absolutely recognize the Do Nothing Congress. Consider a quote from Anton Chekhov: "Take my word for it, the silliest woman can manage a clever man, but it needs a clever woman to manage a fool." Congress is a collection of fools from both sides of the aisle. My point is that Obama has proven is inability to manage them. He simply can't do it. We need someone who can in order to avert disaster, even if that person is Romney.

November 2, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. Jerry Ekiert

Shame on you CNN. I was watching Romney's speech and you cut away from it. You didn't do that with Obama's speech. I will not watch you any more. Again ...same on you!!!!

November 2, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. PNWjim

I hope those of you who have already voted for Morph Romney a are rich and part of the top 5% because only a stupid person votes against their own best interests.He was against the auto bail out but worked it to make millions of $$$$$$$ from the saving of workers jobs .Morph Romney only looks out for himself.

November 2, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. Newme1

All I heard was blah..blah..blah from Mitt. It's hard to look at him and believe one word that is coming out of his mouth.

November 2, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. Ed FL

Romney you can use every possibility about you ,.The fact is you are BORING AND DISLIKED.You can not get enough votes to beat the President Barack Oboma.

November 2, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  16. Ray E. (Georgia)

Wow,
    Romney will speak the Cold Hard Facts of life of which some of you can't stand. You can stick your head in the sand and hope things get better or do something about it. Obama and the Liberal's promise you the moon, but want somebody else to pay fot it. So far all we have is a 16 Trillion Dollar Federal Debt to show for it. It's your vote. Vote anyway you want to. Sooner or later you will figure it out. But it may be too late.

November 2, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  17. ghtbad

Romney wouldn't be my first choice for the GOP candidate, but I'll vote for him any day over Obama.

November 2, 2012 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. compendium

For all of you that say you are watching the election you should also listen. Stop listening to what Obama and his backers say to attack Romney and start listening to what Romney actually has said and look at his record of success. Every time CNN has someone on that likes Romney, it is like they have to debate the talking heads as though the moderator from CNN was working for the Obama campaign.

Obama puts down people constantly. Putting down people and not taking responsibility for anything so you look better is not leadership. Obama is a very divisive President and clearly unqualified to fix the problems we face.

November 2, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. 2HHEELS2

Romney changes would be the exact same as Bush, no change except turn everything back to the failed policy that got us hear. No one in their right mind would or should believe a word that Romney says. Romney is the most morally corrupt, personally irresponsible candidate ever to run for President.

November 2, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Nsikan

Has anyone ever considered that the United States had the best economy in the world the last two years? Recession has been global for a while now and yet our economy is growing. I remember the somalia pirates, I remember Osam Bin Ladin, I remember the financial crisis, I remember the auto bail-out, I remember death panels and I can go on an on. I all these, the decision of this administration has been prudent is not outwright excellent. When the tea party and others were drumming beats of one-term presidency for Mr Obama, when congress concentrated on abortion and women issues, when all these and other obstructions were going on, the president was working for you and I and it beats me that some of us have short memories to all these or pretending to. "Do not call a dog a bad name in order to hang it". This president has kept faith with all of us 99, 1 and 100%

November 2, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. Anthony

Borderless, Romney can't even manage a campaign. Romney won one debate, because Obama essentially did not show up in the first debate, but Romney returned the favor by not showing up in the third debate. Obama was debating foreign policy with an empty chair. If Romney cannot stand up to Obama, how can he stand up to foreign leaders? How can he be commander-in-chief?

November 2, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  22. michael

WOW......that's inspiring !!!!!! obama couldn't deliver a speech like that with TWENTY teleprompters !!!!!!!!!!!!

November 2, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  23. Nsikan

Has anyone ever considered that the United States had the best economy in the world the last two years? Recession has been global for a while now and yet our economy is growing. I remember the somalia pirates, I remember Osama Bin Ladin, I remember the financial crisis, I remember the auto bail-out, I remember death panels and I can go on and on. In all these, the decision of this administration has been prudent if not outwright excellent. When the tea party and others were drumming beats of one-term presidency for Mr Obama, when congress concentrated on abortion and women issues, when all these and other obstructions were going on, this president was working for you and I and it beats me that some of us have short memories to all these or pretending to. "Do not call a dog a bad name in order to hang it". This president has kept faith with all of us 99, 1 and 100%

November 2, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |