Excerpts: Romney's closing argument
November 2nd, 2012

Excerpts: Romney's closing argument

(CNN) - In his speech Friday in Wisconsin, GOP nominee Mitt Romney will lay out the "closing argument" of his campaign. Below are excerpts of his speech, as released by his campaign.

The closing hours of a campaign have a dynamic of their own. Many voters have known for some time who they will vote for. Others are just now putting aside the demands of daily life and considering how their vote will affect their life, the lives of their children, and the course of the country we love.

We ask you to look beyond the speeches and the attacks and the ads. Look to the record, the accomplishments and failures, and the judgment. Words are cheap. A record is real and earned with effort. Change cannot be measured in speeches; it is measured in achievements.

Four years ago, candidate Obama promised to do so very much, but he has fallen so very short.

***

The question of this election comes down to this: do you want more of the same or do youwant real change?

President Obama promised change, but he could not deliver it. I promise change, and I have a record of achieving it.

I built a business, and turned around another. I helped put an Olympics back on track. And with a Democratic legislature, I helped turn my state from deficit to surplus, from job losses to job growth, and from higher taxes to higher take-home pay.

This is why I am running for president. I know how to change the course the nation is on, how to get us to a balanced budget and how to build jobs and rising take-home pay. Accomplishing real change is not something I just talk about–it is something I have done. And it is what will do when I am President of the United States.

If you believe we can do better, if you believe America should be on a better course, if you are tired of being tired, then I ask you to vote for real change. Paul Ryan and I will bring real change to America, from Day One.

When I am elected, the economy and American jobs will still be stagnant.

I won't waste any time complaining about my predecessor. I won't spend my effort trying to pass partisan legislation unrelated to economic growth. From Day One, I will go to work to help Americans get back to work.

***

You can choose your future. You know what you need to know. You can stay on the path of the last four years, or you can choose real change.

You know that if the President is re-elected, he will still be unable to work with the people in Congress. He has ignored them, attacked them, blamed them. The debt ceiling will come up again, and shutdown and default will be threatened, chilling the economy. The President was right when he said he can't change Washington from the inside. In this case, you can take him at his word.

When I am elected, I will work with Republicans and Democrats in Congress. I will meet regularly with their leaders. I will endeavor to find those good men and women on both sides of the aisle that care more about the country than about the politics. Together, we will put the nation on track to a balanced budget, to reform our tax code, and to finally reaffirm our commitment to financial responsibility.

You know that if the President is re-elected, he will continue his war on coal and oil and natural gas. He will send billions more dollars to his favorite solar and wind companies. And all of this will guarantee higher energy prices at the pump and fewer jobs. Today, gas costs twice what it did when President Obama was elected.

When I am elected, we will change course on energy. I know just how much energymeans to middle-class families. We can help hold down prices at the pump and grow new energy jobs and manufacturing jobs.

***

I have watched over these last few months as our campaign has gathered the strength of a movement. It's not just the size of the crowds, it's the depth of our shared conviction … the readiness for new possibilities … the sense that the challenges are clear and our work will soon begin. It has made me strive even more to be worthy of the office … to campaign as I would govern … to speak for the aspirations of all Americans.

I learned as governor of Massachusetts that the best achievements are shared achievements. I learned that respect and good will go a long way, and are usually returned in kind. That is how I will conduct myself as president. I will reach out to both sides of the aisle. I will bring people together, doing big things for the common good. I won't just represent one party, I'll represent one nation. I'll try to show the best of America, at a time when only our best will do.

***

I do not believe this is a moment when our big dreams will be satisfied with a smallagenda. I will lead America to a better place, where confidence in the future is assured, not questioned. This is not a time to settle!

We are four days away from a fresh start. Four days away from the first day of a new beginning. My conviction that better days are ahead is not based on promises and hollow rhetoric but solid plans and proven results.

And an unshakeable faith in the American spirit.

If there is anyone worried the last four years are the best we can do, if there is anyone who fears that the American dream is fading away, if there is anyone who wonders whether better jobs and better paychecks are things of the past, I have a clear and unequivocal message: with the right leadership, America will come roaring back.

We are Americans. We can do anything.

The only thing that stands between us and some of the best years we have known is lack of leadership. And that's why we have elections.

This Tuesday is a moment to look into the future and imagine what we can do ... to put the past four years behind us and start building a new future.

You saw the differences when President Obama and I were side-by-side in our debates. Hesays it has to be this way. I say it can't stay this way. He's offering excuses,I've got a plan. He's hoping we'll settle. I can't wait for us to get started.

Americans don't settle. We build, we aspire, we listen to that voice inside that says, "We can do better." A better job; a better life for our kids; a bigger, better country.

That better life is out there, waiting for us. Our destiny is in your hands.

***

This is much more than our moment. It is America's moment of renewal and purpose and optimism. We have journeyed far and wide in this great campaign for America's future. And now we are almost home.

One final push will get us there. We have known many long days and short nights and now we are close.

The door to a brighter future is there, open, waiting for us. I need your vote, I need your help. Walk with me, walk together. Let us start anew.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Dallin

Go Romney!

November 2, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  2. Mitt Robme_DRAFT_DODGING, TAX_EVADING_POS

This ididot Mitt Robme just dont get itl Nobody is buying what you're selling!!!....so why dont you & your SuperPac billionaires lackeys go count yall money to SWISS & CAYMEN ISLAND BANK ACCOUNTS!!!

OBAMA 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 2, 2012 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. rr

Just remeber Romney's comments about the 47%ers because this is what he truly believes. Enough said. Romney go home!

Obama/Biden 2012

November 2, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. Gurgyl

Even MASSACHUTTES DOES NOT WANT THIS IDIOT. Period. It tells all. Shut down FEMA. Mitt the twit.

November 2, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  5. luke,az

Gov Romney is NOT presidential material. President Obama has three reasons he deserves four more years; saved GM and Chrysler, passed Obamacare, and giving the order to take out Osama bin Laden. President Obama is truly a leader for the 21st century.

November 2, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. luke,az

By the way Gov Romney SHOW US 10 YEARS OF TAXES.

November 2, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  7. St. James Place

Willard I remember. You think that us senior don't pay taxes. Well I do pay taxes and I vote.

Obama 2012

November 2, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  8. SaintM

The best closing argument is yet to come. It is when the feds indict this criminal for his illegal financial exploits that netted him millions resulting from the auto bail out. If he does win, and the investigation is initiated, he will be forced to resign or will be impeached because felons are not allowed to be president. Insider trading and financial manipulation are felonies in this country–look what happened to Martha Stewart and Leona Helmsley.

I hope the feds respond quicly to the UAW's request for federal investigation into how Romney made so much money off the auto bail outs by stock buying schemes. As if you don't have enough money, you filthy, criminal plutocrat.

November 2, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. Go Romney

What have we seen in the last 4 years? Obamacare and Osama Bin Laden?

November 2, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Expat American

Romney’s closing argument should be:

“My campaign has never been dictated by fact checkers.”

November 2, 2012 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  11. marty

I'll take the same, it continues to get better with Obama.

November 2, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Borderless

I voted for Romney. That's important because I honestly would rather vote for someone more in keeping with my liberal social views. I support many of the same things that Obama allegedly supports: gay marriage, closing GITMO, pulling out of Afghanistan, universal health care that is affordable and sensible, fair tax codes... But Obama is a horrible president. He has zero concept of leadership. He doesn't even know the word "compromise". In 2008 candidate Obama made a valid point about making big elections about small things. I took it that he was telling us that we need to focus on what was really important and not about petty attacks on each other. Then he spent the next four years tearing this country apart and setting Americans against Americans. The tone of these message boards, the hate that boils over throughout the internet...these are his legacy. Such a person doesn't deserve another four years. Such a person is a poison for our country. I voted for Romney. My conscience is clear.

November 2, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. reginaldb6

Romney you are not what this country needs, You are out of touch with most Americans and the sad part you don't know it or you don' t CARE.

November 2, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. rs

More lies, punctuated with a lack of facts, policies or plans.

No thanks, Mr. Romney, returning to the heady days of G.W. Bush isn't quite our plan.

November 2, 2012 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. carlos

now I am for it.....when I was really against it.....biggest mormon bishop PREVARICATOR (just ask the french people he tried to convert) and with a name willard or mitt whatever it is.....NO THANKS

November 2, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  16. swingstater

Just more lies...

"I built a business, and turned around another."

–You mean you got rich founding a company that destroyed American companies and shipped American jobs overseas (which Bain still does, even right now.)

"I helped put an Olympics back on track."

–Nobody cares about this, at all. When you run for the Olympics committee, maybe that would be relevant. Save it for then.

"And with a Democratic legislature, I helped turn my state from deficit to surplus, from job losses to job growth, and from higher taxes to higher take-home pay."

–More BS. Massachusetts was worse off for you having been there and the Massachusetts voters decided not to give you another term. You were a ONE-TERM governor, during which, you bitterly fought with the Democrats. No one wants you in Massachusetts even now–you are losing by double digits there.

Just more BS.

November 2, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  17. giftedgirl77

I see Romney is getting his spray tans from the same place Trump does. At least he will be able to get a role as an Oompa Loompa (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) after President Obama cuts him off at the knees on election day.

November 2, 2012 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. NML

Mitt offers the best course. The country is failing in so many phases and we need leadership that can work with both parties. We need a President that will take charge of the Economy and get us back on track even it means making the tough decisions. The Governments Credit Card is maxed out and are credit rating has been downgraded. The jobless rate is higher than when Obama took over and there seems to be no solvent plan brought to the table. The vote is clear folks....we need to get Mitt in there.

November 2, 2012 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  19. Lisa P

Words are cheap. Plenty of "I will"'s in there with no evidence in Mitt Romney's campaign to support them. Name a single "good man or woman" from the other side of the aisle that Mitt Romney reached out to in the two years he's been campaigning for the Presidency. His dismissal and trash talking of the 47% "who will never vote for me" rang much more true. As with his personal wealth, the road to the "brighter future" he promises will be built on the broken lives and dreams of working people and small business owners - the ones who don't have a couple of thousand to spare to promote his lies and vicious attacks on the "good men and women" on the other side of the aisle. You know, the same "good men and women" Mitt Romney says he "will" work with - no, really, he really means it this time! [*wink, wink*] - if America is foolish enough to elect him President.

I believe we can do better. We already are. Obama/Biden 2012

November 2, 2012 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  20. I. arthur MICHAELSON

The ex-go v. of MASS. has a selective memory supported by outright dishonestly and LIES. He claims the POTUS has been a failure!!!! However, he avoids the fact that the minority leader of the SENATE, after the mid-term election, vowed yhat his FIRST priority was to make sure that Pres. OBAMA will be a ONE TIME PRESIDENT!!!! The record will show that the Republican controll voted agains each and every initiave OBAMA put foward. The GOP earnd the label of the party of NO!!!! Come on ERomnesia try telling the TRUTH.

November 2, 2012 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  21. Dave

The GOP motto, "forget the future we want to go back 100 years" is perfectly suited to the Romney campaign. Or they could use..."forward, into the past", but I think that Firesign may have it copywritten (not that that matters a whit to Republicans).

November 2, 2012 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. Michigan patriot

I will vote for Romney, because I know he is the only one that can get us out of this mess. He is a moral man, and has character to lead. Obama is the worst president this country ever had. He is an embarrassment to the american people. He has no clue what's he doing. He still doesn't answer what happened in Benghazi, we are still waiting for "his investigation." What about the people that died? Oh! I forgot "they are bumps on the road." We are the laughing stock in the world. Under his presidency the U.S. is not what it used to be; we are not respected anymore.
    ROMNEY is what this country needs!!

November 2, 2012 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  23. 4moreyears

You are a liar when you left Mass there was a deficit, you were number 47 out of 50 for job creation and you blocked over 800 pieces of legislation not to mention you blocked off a public elevator in the states building and made it you own private one. You didn't even know the names of the statesmen that worked there with you. Lets now lastly forget how you were pretty much MIA the last 2 years there. The only good thing that came out of your time as governor was Healthcare and you want to take that away from them. YOU LIE MITT ROMNEY, TELL THE TRUTH FOR ONCE

November 2, 2012 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  24. Bill

I would call it a farewell address.

November 2, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. Dave

Mitt uses the Olympics as a reason for his management abilities. Heck, he went to the Government for the bailout money that saved the Olympics. He's good at begging but rotten at management.

November 2, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |