Excerpts: Romney's closing argument
November 2nd, 2012
1 year ago

Excerpts: Romney's closing argument

(CNN) - In his speech Friday in Wisconsin, GOP nominee Mitt Romney will lay out the "closing argument" of his campaign. Below are excerpts of his speech, as released by his campaign.

The closing hours of a campaign have a dynamic of their own. Many voters have known for some time who they will vote for. Others are just now putting aside the demands of daily life and considering how their vote will affect their life, the lives of their children, and the course of the country we love.

We ask you to look beyond the speeches and the attacks and the ads. Look to the record, the accomplishments and failures, and the judgment. Words are cheap. A record is real and earned with effort. Change cannot be measured in speeches; it is measured in achievements.

***

The question of this election comes down to this: do you want more of the same or do youwant real change?

President Obama promised change, but he could not deliver it. I promise change, and I have a record of achieving it.

I built a business, and turned around another. I helped put an Olympics back on track. And with a Democratic legislature, I helped turn my state from deficit to surplus, from job losses to job growth, and from higher taxes to higher take-home pay.

This is why I am running for president. I know how to change the course the nation is on, how to get us to a balanced budget and how to build jobs and rising take-home pay. Accomplishing real change is not something I just talk about–it is something I have done. And it is what will do when I am President of the United States.

If you believe we can do better, if you believe America should be on a better course, if you are tired of being tired, then I ask you to vote for real change. Paul Ryan and I will bring real change to America, from Day One.

When I am elected, the economy and American jobs will still be stagnant.

I won't waste any time complaining about my predecessor. I won't spend my effort trying to pass partisan legislation unrelated to economic growth. From Day One, I will go to work to help Americans get back to work.

***

You can choose your future. You know what you need to know. You can stay on the path of the last four years, or you can choose real change.

You know that if the President is re-elected, he will still be unable to work with the people in Congress. He has ignored them, attacked them, blamed them. The debt ceiling will come up again, and shutdown and default will be threatened, chilling the economy. The President was right when he said he can't change Washington from the inside. In this case, you can take him at his word.

When I am elected, I will work with Republicans and Democrats in Congress. I will meet regularly with their leaders. I will endeavor to find those good men and women on both sides of the aisle that care more about the country than about the politics. Together, we will put the nation on track to a balanced budget, to reform our tax code, and to finally reaffirm our commitment to financial responsibility.

You know that if the President is re-elected, he will continue his war on coal and oil and natural gas. He will send billions more dollars to his favorite solar and wind companies. And all of this will guarantee higher energy prices at the pump and fewer jobs. Today, gas costs twice what it did when President Obama was elected.

When I am elected, we will change course on energy. I know just how much energymeans to middle-class families. We can help hold down prices at the pump and grow new energy jobs and manufacturing jobs.

***

I learned as governor of Massachusetts that the best achievements are shared achievements. I learned that respect and good will go a long way, and are usually returned in kind. That is how I will conduct myself as president. I will reach out to both sides of the aisle. I will bring people together, doing big things for the common good. I won't just represent one party, I'll represent one nation. I'll try to show the best of America, at a time when only our best will do.

***

I do not believe this is a moment when our big dreams will be satisfied with a smallagenda. I will lead America to a better place, where confidence in the future is assured, not questioned. This is not a time to settle!

We are four days away from a fresh start. Four days away from the first day of a new beginning. My conviction that better days are ahead is not based on promises and hollow rhetoric but solid plans and proven results.

And an unshakeable faith in the American spirit.

If there is anyone worried the last four years are the best we can do, if there is anyone who fears that the American dream is fading away, if there is anyone who wonders whether better jobs and better paychecks are things of the past, I have a clear and unequivocal message: with the right leadership, America will come roaring back.

We are Americans. We can do anything.

The only thing that stands between us and some of the best years we have known is lack of leadership. And that's why we have elections.

This Tuesday is a moment to look into the future and imagine what we can do ... to put the past four years behind us and start building a new future.

You saw the differences when President Obama and I were side-by-side in our debates. Hesays it has to be this way. I say it can't stay this way. He's offering excuses,I've got a plan. He's hoping we'll settle. I can't wait for us to get started.

Americans don't settle. We build, we aspire, we listen to that voice inside that says, "We can do better." A better job; a better life for our kids; a bigger, better country.

That better life is out there, waiting for us. Our destiny is in your hands.

***

This is much more than our moment. It is America's moment of renewal and purpose and optimism. We have journeyed far and wide in this great campaign for America's future. And now we are almost home.

One final push will get us there. We have known many long days and short nights and now we are close.

The door to a brighter future is there, open, waiting for us. I need your vote, I need your help. Walk with me, walk together. Let us start anew.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Woman In California

Willard's Closing Arguments: I've lied to you, I'll continue lying to you and I'm lying now. Once I get in office, the lies will be even bigger and much better, as I'll have a national audience, security intelligence and access to Air Force One. As a matter of fact, I'll have ALL the perks of a real president so get ready America – here we come.
    The end.

November 2, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. Leena Rita

I am not any US citizen but if I were, I would vote Mitt Romney.He means what he says. USA will be much better off with Mitt Romney than Obama

November 2, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. John

I wonder Romney even believes half of what he says.

November 2, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. Joachim

The issues are do we want to take a chance on Romney who seems (to me, in most ways) looking ahead as opposed to Obama who seems more on making people happy and short term. Different philosophical approaches, assuming they mean what they say.

November 2, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. Borderless

Just look at all the hate here. Name calling, false accusations, vicious personal attacks... Now Donna Brazille wants to throw fuel on the fire by artificially injecting racism into the election...again. At the end of the day, our choice isn't one that we should be basing on ideology or party loyalty, and certainly not on stupid things like who was friends with who or how much they paid in taxes. We are in crisis mode. We should selecting our next president based on whether or not they are able to work with congress to achieve a solution to our problems. Obama has demonstrated over the last four years that he can not. Romney demonstrated while Governor that he may be able to. The rest of this is all just hate mongering.

November 2, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Patrick in Wisconsin

borderless, don't even try to get into the liberal club. You have demonstrated time ant time again that you are an nothing more than an arch-conservative. If you were a liberal, you wouldn't go against fellow liberals with the same vigor and talking points as Republicans. Stop being a faker and stand for yourself. Like your Republican pals say "you're on your own."

November 2, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

President Obama is taking Massachussets. Double digits, single digits who cares. They are rejecting you AGAIN.
    The folks that have been governed by you are saying no to you AGAIN.
    Your home state of Michigan is saying no to you.
    All the people that know you best are saying HELL TO THE NO to you.

November 2, 2012 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. Evergreen

With his Bush policy advisors who still belief wars creates jobs...no thanks

November 2, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Tim

"I have watched over these last few months as our campaign has gathered the strength of a movement. It's not just the size of the crowds, it's the depth of our shared conviction … the readiness for new possibilities … the sense that the challenges are clear and our work will soon begin. It has made me strive even more to be worthy of the office … to campaign as I would govern … to speak for the aspirations of all Americans."

I read this portion of the speech and for the rest of the speech I could not stop thinking about his 47% comment. I just can't buy what this guy is selling. I see him completely differently as what he is trying to portray to the American people in this speech.

November 2, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  10. Anonymous

Obama's poor performance on the economy was the result of the overt and covert plot of the republican Party to prepare him for defea by frustrating every move he made to revamp tge economy. Unfortunately for the GOP, falsehood or lie is not a good replacement. Obama will do much better in his second term. And may be one of US great presidents after a second term. We are making history. God bless you Mr. President.

November 2, 2012 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  11. donaldcrane

I like what Romney has to say and am no longer an undecided...I will be voting for Romney on Tuesday. The president does too much blaming of others and does not take responsibility for his own action over the last four years. It is one thing to blame someone else and I do not believe anyone thought he could fix it all in four years, but we certainly did want Him and his administration to make it worse.

November 2, 2012 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  12. Recovering republican voter: Never again!

Mitt Romney says he cares about the auto industry. He would NEVER hurt the auto industry. Well ... so the big lie regarding JEEP could potentially cause some people to say they will never buy a Jeep or another Jeep. (I've already seen postings that would indicate this) A decline in sales due to this giant whopper of a lie? Yes, Mitt. You really care, don't you.

Ohio, please send a message to this guy that lies and fear mongering will not get him elected. Run him out of town. He is shameful beyond belief.

November 2, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. Meka

Romneys Closing Remarks should read: I OUTSOURCED MY MONEY
    I OUTSOURCED YOUR JOBS
    AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO

November 2, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  14. gcbruce

I really think Romney has bipolar!! Or he is a Manic liar!! Please America if you haven't cast your ballot yet ,please please vote Obama!!

November 2, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  15. Thomas

Borderless
    I voted for Romney. That's important because I honestly would rather vote for someone more in keeping with my liberal social views. I support many of the same things that Obama allegedly supports: gay marriage, closing GITMO, pulling out of Afghanistan, universal health care that is affordable and sensible, fair tax codes... But Obama is a horrible president. He has zero concept of leadership. He doesn't even know the word "compromise". In 2008 candidate Obama made a valid point about making big elections about small things. I took it that he was telling us that we need to focus on what was really important and not about petty attacks on each other. Then he spent the next four years tearing this country apart and setting Americans against Americans. The tone of these message boards, the hate that boils over throughout the internet...these are his legacy. Such a person doesn't deserve another four years. Such a person is a poison for our country. I voted for Romney. My conscience is clear.

=========

It's unfortunate that you don't recognize the Do Nothing Congress's and there failed ability to compromise .

What do consider great leadership ? GW Bush ?
    I'm sorry that a person with your intelligence is so narrow minded in your conscience.

November 2, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  16. UBS, WILLARD & 4000+ AMERICAN AMNESTY DEAL

Willard, it was so gratifying watching you look like a sore loser when you lost the primary in 2008. I think this time when you lose the general, it will be even more satisfying. You and Ann can drift away into the political abyss.

November 2, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  17. walvo

President Obama is the ultimate definition of a child, he always has to put the blame on someone else. whether it's bush or all the republicans in congress. he decided to run for president at this time knowing that America is in a recession. if he can't fulfill the duty of being president and leading this country out of trouble in these last four years than there is no reason to beleive he will do it in the next four years. Reagan had it just as bad and was able to make a recovery within two years of his first term. The President lacks leadership and and loses my respect. Romney\Ryan 2012

November 2, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. kyphi

Did Romney just say "portions of the country we love" in Wisconsin? I thought presidential candidates should love all of American.

November 2, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. wendy

I voted for Mr. Obama four years ago – I believed the things he said about cutting the deficit in half, etc. etc. I don't think he's a bad man – I think he just came at the wrong time. He wasn't able to fix the mess he was handed. I believe Mitt Romney can. What I would really like is to let Romney have four years, and then let Obama have his second four. By then maybe we'll be able to afford all his wonderful ideas. One other thing: I have always been a democrat, but I have been ashamed of the hateful and vitriolic discourse spewed by democrats toward Romney. I always thought democrats were the good guys, but the comments on this website have been repulsive. I've also noted a distinct bias in the press coverage – I never noticed it before. Makes me wonder how many times I've been manipulated before.

November 2, 2012 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  20. no sense

lol its gonna be the same congress and possibly an even more balanced senate. If Obama couldn't get anything done before he definitely wont now. Man doesnt know what compromise means. That whole debt ceiling crisis really blew up when the two sides had a deal and then Obama asked for more concessions. It took BIDEN to get the deal done, not the president. That is TERRIBLE leadership right there.

November 2, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  21. truth hurts

Romney/Ryan is the ONLY SANE CHOICE. Romney is the perfect candidate for the problems facing this country. His track record is one of success at whatever it is he takes on. Obama has been given 4 years and has failed, EVEN BY HIS OWN STANDARDS. Unless you want 7-8% unemployment, record poverty, record people on food stamps and 1-2% GDP growth to be the new norm for this country, you're only choice is ROMNEY/RYAN. If Obama is re-elected, you will see the continued slide of this country into a fiscal DISASTER.

All of the goodies and freebies the government redistributes are provided by a ROBUST THRIVING ECONOMY. Without that, it cannot happen. Obama has proven he is incapable of turning the country around. Unemployment STILL at record levels, a STAGNANT economy barely creating ANY jobs and now a looming fiscal cliff he has set us up for. And all this OVER THREE YEARS AFTER the recession ended!!

End this long national nightmare called Obama and get this country TRULY moving forward again. ROMNEY/RYAN – the only SANE CHOICE for your future and the future of your children.

November 2, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Carol Fairweather

If Romney was such a successful governor, explain to me why is not winning his State?

November 2, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. Voting Democratic

Mormon church is run by mobsters. Mittwitt says my take home pay will increase – If companies make more profit, they aren't going to share with employees... greedy. If anything they hire more at the non-living wage they pay the rest of us; it's how they control us – fear of loosing the little we have.

November 2, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Walk with me, walk together
    -------------------------------------------------
    You and your cohorts have made a mockery of our political system for all the world to see. You were allowed to lie with impunity. You stood for everything and nothing in order to get one more vote. You were an international wrecking ball. A man with no moral compass, no convictions, no core. No dice.

NOBODY is walking anywhere with you.
    You're going to take that walk on November 6th into political OBLIVION all by yourself.
    And good riddance to bad rubbish.

November 2, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Sniffit

"Four years ago, candidate Obama promised to do so very much, but he has fallen so very short."

Four years ago, the GOP promised to obstruct everything in order to make Amurikans suffer so they could blame it on Obama.

FIFY

Bye Mittens. I hope your public life is 100% over after Obama pimpslaps you like you're late with his money next Tuesday.

November 2, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |