Obama and Romney make closing arguments in CNN.com op-eds
November 2nd, 2012
1 year ago

Obama and Romney make closing arguments in CNN.com op-eds

(CNN) – President Barack Obama and his GOP challenger Mitt Romney, in opinion pieces published Friday on CNN.com, both write that bipartisanship is the only way to solve the problems facing the country today.

Mitt Romney: My vision for America

"We've watched gridlock and petty conflict dominate while the most important issues confronting the nation, like chronic high unemployment, go unaddressed. The bickering has to end. I will end it. I will reach across the aisle to solve America's problems."

President Barack Obama: My vision for America

"Because when hardship hits, America is at its best. The petty differences that consume us in normal times quickly melt away. There are no Democrats or Republicans during a storm - only fellow Americans. That's how we get through the most trying times: together."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. babak

Romney :high unemployment!
    Obama :storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

key world in fainal argument!s!

November 2, 2012 07:27 am at 7:27 am |
  2. Joe

This is a very straight forward and simple choice. Obama/Biden!!!! There is absolutely no point arguing with about 70% of the Romney supporters because they simply dislike Obama. This is not about policies or record this is about a black man in the white house. Now,I say 70% because I believe 30% disapprove of Obama for legitimate reasons i.e abortion, gay marriage mostly social issues. Personally, the social issues do not bother me because as they say everyone has the right and I would never dream of imposing my religious beliefs on anyone. BTW I am Catholic, remember imposing your beliefs is what the extremists do.

For anyone to sit down and tell me that Romney has presented himself as an appropriate candidate to rule this country is beyond me. Granted, Obama has not delivered on everything promised (who could when the agenda is to make him a one term president) but I would rather give him time to finish. Romney cannot be trusted. He would have had a chance if he just stuck to his honest opinion (moderate Romney) but his flip-flop strategy is crazy.

Super Storm Sandy: Has anyone stopped and imagined how we would have coped if we had the small government Romney is touting. The States or the private sector could never cope. For the private sector it would have been about the bottom line, lives would mean nothing, just profit and choosing which areas to help. We will always need government.

We were in free fall when Obama took office and I guess the Romney supporters expected Obama to take us back to before the free fall. Get real. It took Bush 8 years to cause the mess, then you expect the problems to just go away. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE can do that. It will take time. Time I am willing to give to OBAMA/BIDEN.

November 2, 2012 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  3. Gurgyl

Mitt the twit said shut down on FEMA. Paul Ryan said Eliminate FEMA.....idiots, I mean nasty idiots, nasty animals. Obama12.

November 2, 2012 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  4. Stuck_In_a_Blue_State

Yeah, we see how great the presidents bipartisan mentality works. "If the Republicans want to come along, they can, but they have to get in the back of the bus". Great concept Mr. President, way to show an effort to reach across the aisle. America ONLY has one option on Tuesday – Romney/Ryan 2012 !!!

November 2, 2012 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  5. jkane sfl a vote for lady parts romney the tax cheat and lyin lady parts ryan willcut your moms medicare and soc sec . .can you afford to pay for them???

The gop with their short memory probably forgot we were watching when they blocked all jobs bills that would have helped these states and Ryan was largely responsable and now their going to pay for it on Nov 6 . The gop party before people and their lies and no votes are their doom.voted for Obama and all dems already !!!!!

November 2, 2012 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  6. MarieMD

The twit's closing argument is that fake canned food, paid for by his campaign canned goods, and his lies about the auto industry that are being refuted by Chrysler and their CEO and he continues to put the lie out there after being found out that he is the BIGGEST LIAR ever to run for president.
    Twit, you will NOT be crowned kind on November 6th. I hope that mansion and those elevator cars keep you warm in CA.

November 2, 2012 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  7. Rick McDaniel

Obama has not a bipartisan bone in his body. That has been his true failing........he refuses to work with the Republicans, in ANY way. He expects the Republicans to bow down and become loyal servants. That isn't going to happen.

November 2, 2012 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Romney is an "I" person, President Obama is a "we" person. "I'" stands alone and "we" stand together.

November 2, 2012 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  9. Lena B

I am not endorsing any candidate primarly because it is against civil service ( cs employee) but I would like to say this. I am sick of hearing about how bad this economy is right now. The economy is better now than it has ever been. If you want to see the economy at its best, look at these record breaking events.
    Sports attendance; if the economy is suffering you can't tell during the sports events. The higher the tickets the high er the attendance. People around the country are purchasing the newest IPhones, tablets, designer clothes, cruises and more. The economy on employment, I see more and more people going to work, creating their own businesses. Healthcare. I think places such as Louisiana is going down because of its local leadership, people want jobs but if you keep cutting jobs then that makes less jobs available.
    It is my belief that some state leaders would allow their numbers to be negative to try and sway people's vote; in other words, they will do anything to get their candidate in office. I believe this saturday November 3 LSU in Baton Rouge is having a game, look at the crowd of 35+ years attending the game, buying loads of booze. The economy is doing great!

November 2, 2012 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  10. GOP = Greed Over People!

As detailed in the AJC this morning, white voter registration in GA, is 58% in 2012 down from 62% in 2008.

Also, Gallup has increased the number of white polling samples to 80% in 2012 up from 74% in 2008

Class, in those two statements is a clue as to why Gallup is showing Robme ahead, and GOP pundits are blasting Nate as a "one term celebrity".

November 2, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |