Portman and Kasich dismiss Ohio poll numbers
Mitt Romney, Rob Portman, and John Kasich campaign together in Ohio on August 14.
November 3rd, 2012
1 year ago

Portman and Kasich dismiss Ohio poll numbers

Columbus, Ohio (CNN) – Two of Ohio's top Republicans on Saturday waved off a spate of polling that shows President Obama with a small but steady lead in the pivotal state.

"I am not worried about the public polls," said Sen. Rob Portman.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I don't think it will be close to what the polls are saying," echoed Gov. John Kasich.

Portman and Kasich, clad in Buckeye red, were attending a tailgate party organized by Mitt Romney's campaign outside Ohio Stadium, where an undefeated Ohio State team was preparing to host the University of Illinois.

A CNN/ORC poll released Friday showed Obama ahead of Romney by 50%-47% in Ohio heading into Election Day. Another Wall Street Journal/NBC News/Marist survey released Saturday showed Obama with a larger, six-point lead among likely voters here.

Internal Republican tracking shows the race much tighter, with Romney even holding a tiny lead in Ohio as recently as a few days ago, according to multiple GOP sources.

Kasich said GOP enthusiasm is being underestimated by public pollsters who are forecasting a Democratic turnout on par with the 2008 election.

"I don't feel the kind of enthusiasm among Democrats that I see among Republicans," he said. "The turnout models that show a bigger Democrat turnout than what is likely to occur, that's why I think Romney is going to win. It's intensity."

Portman noted that recent public polls in Ohio show Romney winning independent voters, and most are within the sampling error. He said Republican enthusiasm here reminds him of the 2000 election, when George W. Bush won Ohio by about 165,000 votes.

"We had in 2000 a lot of the energy and enthusiasm that we do today," he said. "In 2004 we won, but it was because we over-performed in small towns and rural areas. This year, I see it everywhere. People are really fired up."

Portman admitted that Hurricane Sandy "wasn't helpful" to the Romney campaign at a time when it had some momentum, but suggested televised images of frustrated storm victims in New York and New Jersey might have an impact on a small number of undecided voters this weekend.

"As usual in a major disaster like this, there are a lot of people who are concerned about the government not providing the assistance they deserve and need," Portman told CNN. "People are feeling like, 'Hey, where's FEMA? Where's the help that I was promised?'"

Filed under: 2012 • John Kasich • Mitt Romney • Rob Portman
  1. Name Riri

Keeep dreaming Ohio for Obama go Barack Ohio is your State

November 3, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Mittless is Wittless

Why is the governor of Ohio saying that jobs created in the auto industry have not helped his state? Why does he think that Mitt's plan of letting those plants go belly up would have been a better plan? Do you wonder if he has been promised a big promotion if he sticks with Mitt?

November 3, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Barry king

This guys will of accept because the said President Obama is leading in Ohio , but if the poll say Rommey is leading they agree. That is stupidity . Senators go to hell Obama is leading.

November 3, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. Barry king

How can u guys don't accept defeat, u guys are leaving in a dream world. Please dismiss ur self.

November 3, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. I Voted Early In NC

Why don't they dismiss the jobs report that was released yesterday. More people were hired than last month but it went up from 7.8 to 7.9. I think I will dismiss the scale my Doctor uses for my weight because in my mind I think I weigh 10 pounds less ha ha.

November 3, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  6. walleye46

THey are both in DENIAL

November 3, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  7. Macollins

Really....looks like the republicans have muzzled their boy so he can't do interviews going into election day. They have to be scared to death he will say something awkward so they are playing safe instead of sorry.

November 3, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. Thomas

Ok ,
    if you have one ex GW Bush official , One Mormon ,and they hand the microphone to an active alcoholic what do you get ?

John Kasich.

Three Dog Lite !

November 3, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. James

I'd disregard the polls too if I were a republican. Ignorance is bliss...

November 3, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. Jon

The polls are wrong!!! Romney will carry Ohio by 5-10 points in the vote count. All these liberal media types are posting internet nonsense that will expose them next Tuesday... Alabama, my state will give Romney a landslide!! Please save our country and vote for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan!! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

November 3, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  11. david

1% Romney will wreck America like Sandy. Vouchers for medicare, privitize soc. sec., 500 Mormon fed. judges, war with Iran, no rights for pregnant women. Jesus help us!

November 3, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. giftedgirl77

These people are so far from reality that they will say anything to keep hope alive for the republican party and to not make Mitt the Twit look like a complete and utter failure. I guess they missed their Robme's wing man giving the President and FEMA such great praise. News flash fellas FEMA doesn't have a magic wand to fix everything over night. Of course all of the polls must be wrong now because they aren't leaning Willard's way, if they were this would be a moot point.

Sorry guys you picked the wrong tool to run this time better lick in 2016.

November 3, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. Slightly Left of Center

Ohio should dismiss Portman and Kasich...

November 3, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. Truth Hurts

Would you expect anything else from a moron, I mean a mormon Wake up America...Santa won't be coming to the White House if Mitt moves in and what will we tell the all the unwanted children which there will be an abundance of once Mitt overturns Roe vs. Wade. VOTE OBAMA!!!!!

November 3, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. jane

Of course they do. They probably have lots of information regarding GOP plans to lie, cheat and steal their way to victory. Ain't gonna work, fellas.

November 3, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  16. Marry

"I am not worried about the public polls," said Sen. Rob Portman. “We’ll fix them!”
    President Obama 2012! Ohio, yes you can! We know you come through for us all, yes, Ohio, you will!

November 3, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |