Election takes over American conversation on Facebook
November 5th, 2012

Election takes over American conversation on Facebook

(CNN) - With Election Day just hours away, the election has dominated Facebook chatter among users in the United States.

According to data provided to CNN by the social media giant, the four terms or phrases used most in posts or comments from users in the United States are vote, Obama, Romney, & election.

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

To put that further into context, Facebook says that typically the top terms on a Sunday and Monday in the Fall are related to football. With more than 170 million people, over half the U.S. population, actively using Facebook, this gives a glimpse into how the elections are taking over the American conversation.

Follow CNN Politics on Facebook

The fifth most popular term is "Remember the 5th of November," a reference to Guy Fawkes Day, an annual commemoration of a seventeen-century attempt to blow up the British parliament. In modern day, the phrase has been adopted by anti-government protesters and activists as a rallying cry. The next three terms, Sunday football, Falcons & Doug Martin, all relate to the NFL.

The top terms are over a 24-hour period (12pm Saturday to 12pm Sunday).

Top 8 Trending terms/phrases in the US right now:

- Vote (remember to vote, vote tomorrow)
- Obama (Obama, President Obama, Obama's record)
- Romney
- Election
- Remember the 5th of November ('gunpowder treason' and other terms around Guy Fawkes Day)
- Sunday football
- Falcons (Beat Cowboys in the Sunday Night Football game)
- Doug Martin (Rookie Buccaneers" running back rushed 251 yards and scored 4 touchdowns in Sunday's win over the Raiders)

Filed under: 2012 • Facebook
  1. Sniffit

Not. News.

November 5, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. REDFIRESTORM

the angry blues

November 5, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. St. James Place

Seniors should be scared to death. The election of Willard will be the first step in the Republicans plan to reopen the Medicare donut hole. Willards day one killing of the affordable care act will include zero funding for high presciption costs for us seniors. The fact is seniors will die because of the greed of the republican party.

Please people vote like the life of your mother and father depends on it. Because it does.

November 5, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Ind.

I see a lot of liberals threatening to riot if Obama's not reelected.

The liberal hatred is strong.

November 5, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  5. Malory Archer

I see a lot of neocons threatening second amendment solutions if Obama's reelected.

The reichwing hatred is strong.

November 5, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. UBS, WILLARD & 4000+ AMERICAN AMNESTY DEAL

The liberal hatred is strong.
    -----------------------------------------
    You're kidding right? I guess that's why there is a model of President Obama hanging from a noose at a Shell gas station here in Virginia Beach. We know who the hateful people in our American society are. They're called republicans.

November 5, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. BetterDaysAhead

Obamas administration is already wasting our money, dont let them waste your vote as well. You know he has failed, take off the blinders.

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!

November 5, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  8. Borderless

My first step every day when I check Facebook is to hide any and all political comments. Lets face it, no one is going to change anyone's mind by posting their hateful garbage on Facebook. After all, no one is changing anyone's minds here, are they? But this is a political forum. The whole purpose of this is for us to post our opinions, even if it is a rather pointless and futile thing to do. Facebook should be immune to such rantings.

I have been pretty clear on here that I'm no fan of Obama. However, I do think he will win the electoral college. If that's the case, I will wish him success in making this a better nation for everyone. I will hope that I have been wrong all along in supporting Romney because my future and my children's future is tied to the success of this president. I would hope people on each side will try to see it the same way, regardless of who wins.

After this, the most hateful and contentious election in more than a generation, we need to heal as a nation. We aren't going to do it by being poor sports on November 7th. We aren't going to do it by assailing our family and friends with our political rhetoric on Facebook. I think it's time we all start to relax a bit.

November 5, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"Democrats are casting multiple votes in different polling places. How is THAT being prevented?"

Sorry, as much as I want to agree with you, four years of "number one priority" means the GOP/Teatrolls DESERVE everything they ahve coming to them. Every bit of it. Enough is enough.

November 5, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Social media is all part of new innovation as we move FORWARD and the good news is we will have a President Obama who believes we must move FORWARD.

November 5, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. Joe public

President Obama won’t tell the voters of the Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania the truth about his plans to shut down the coal industry. Even after he loses on Tuesday, it appears that the President will still try to continue his efforts to kill their jobs and drive up their energy prices. Mitt Romney is committed to reversing the damage caused by the Obama Administration’s disastrous liberal agenda as soon as he takes office.

November 5, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  12. Commensense

I hope for the sake of the US that our President is re-elected, Romney will put us in a crisis that will be so devastating, you will be saying GOODBYE to your freedom, he would lead this country into total ruins! He won't be a President, he will be a Dictator and I believe he will be the one who will start world war III !!

November 5, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. BillC

Come on guys, we are the cheerleaders of democracy around the world! Let us set good examples to the onlookers from around the world! It's time you started speaking like civilized people! We are Americans first, Republicans and Democrats in the same country! Put away the hateful intentions and let's live as one! God bless

November 5, 2012 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  14. Anonymous

i hope obama win the election

November 5, 2012 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  15. Mr. Lee

I hope that we will be able to retain the right to bear arms, because on the 17th I am gonna go hunting. I do not hunt for sport, for the challenge, or anything else besides the fact that one deer can feed me and my family for a month at the least. I hope that whoever elected will let us retain thoes rights. I do not believe that guns kill people, but rather the person holding the gun is responsible.

November 5, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  16. 22

Democrats get out the vote,fired up ready to go!I can't wait to express my support for the president with my vote.I can'wait to make some phone calls,give somebody a ride,knock on doors get out the vote!Game on....

November 5, 2012 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  17. Squigman

The hands holding the smart phone must be attached to someone that looks like a manatee. Probably never broke a sweat, except when eating pie.

November 6, 2012 07:10 am at 7:10 am |