November 6th, 2012

Biden makes surprise stop in Ohio

(CNN) – Mitt Romney's campaign plane and Air Force Two, which carries the vice president, crossed paths at a Cleveland airport Tuesday morning after Joe Biden made a previously-unannounced but long scheduled stop in Ohio, according to pool reports.

Biden was en route from Delaware, where he voted Tuesday morning, to Chicago to join the president in an election night watch party.

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

The vice president descended the plane's steps at 11:49 a.m. ET, with the Romney campaign plane a couple hundred yards away. The plane for Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney's running mate, was also landing as Biden's motorcade began rolling on the tarmac.

Around 12:15 p.m. ET, Biden arrived at Landmark Restaurant for a campaign stop, where he greeted and took photos with supporters.

One woman asked if he had plans to run for president in 2016.

"Oh, I'm going to go back home and run for county council," he said, drawing laughs. Another women stood up and shouted that Biden had her vote. Earlier Tuesday, he hinted that he could appear on a future ballot.

The vice president was also asked if he saw the Romney and Ryan planes on the tarmac, but Biden's answer was unclear

"They told me they were going to–," Biden said, cutting himself off. "I mean, when we landed they said, said they were there," Biden continued, as he posed for a photo with a supporter.

The vice president has campaigned in Ohio, a crucial battleground, more than any other state this cycle. Romney and Ryan were also in the Buckeye State for last-minute campaign stops.

Meanwhile, back at the airport, Ryan's children, nephews, and wife Janna played football on the tarmac between the two campaign planes.

– CNN National Political Correspondent Jim Acosta contributed to this report.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Ohio
  1. REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST

Mitt Romney wins in a landslide. This is 100% certain. Will Barack Obama need a teleprompter for his concession speech.

November 6, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. Wilson

SC from Canada
    What I find incredibly scary is that the race is close at all.
    ----------------------------------–
    Agreed, I can't believe how many people still have blinders on concerning Obama. That must have been some strong koolaide. That being said, I think Romney is "obama lite," but Lite is better than full blown Obama.

November 6, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  3. Lu-Ann Barry

Has CNN caught wind of the youtube video of someone going into a Pennsylvania digital voting booth, choosing Obama but the machine automatically switches the vote to Romney???? I hope this will be a topic of discussion today because this can drastically offset the results in this state as well as many others. If this election is to be won by either party, please make a fair win whereever possible.

November 6, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Inde Di

Remember Romney and his sons owns most of the voting machines. This guy is really going to buy the presidency. It will all be in vian because tomorrow we are giong to swear in our Presdient Obama for a second term.

November 6, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. Brook

abmri60

Voting machines in PA will not let me vote for Obama ..... What is going on ??

God help us, the game people play to steal the election. You know whats going on. God watch over this country because it is acting like a third world country. If Romney wins we know that he stole the election.

November 6, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  6. DP

My biggest concern in Ohio is the Secretary of State Husted authorizing a "last minute" software update on ballot machines. Typically you don't do that. It seems suspicious because it corresponds to the areas where Obama has a chance of winning .... So if those machines are deemed inoperable or faulty during the election process, those ballots could be thrown out, costing Obama the election. Wow ..... this is yet another reason why people don't trust GOP's dishonest, deceptive and criminal identity and persona!

November 6, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. Big Daddy Butler

I went to vote and the election worker directed me to pick up my free donuts/coffee donated by the Obama campaign. I thought this wasn't allowed. I did enjoy the French Cruller I had though.

November 6, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  8. dee123

You need more than a business background to run America. You must first understand the needs of the people. That would be hard for Romney to understand what "needs" meant because he grew up with a gold spoon in his hand. They never had the opportunity to experience hardship as a citzen of the United States. President Obama can relate to the needs of the people because he was not born into wealth like Romney..........

November 6, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. 2016 Prediction

Malory Archer

2016 Prediction

it will be a slam dunk ~ but not for Biden. Romney will get a second term.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Time to change the batteries in your crystal ball. mittens isn't even going to get a FIRST term!

****
    You think. I see.

November 6, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Really??

Jane Smith... Common sense tells us the only plan Obama has is to run the nation on fast forward into further economic despair. He had 4 years for his hope and changey thing and all we got is more government control and more debt.

November 6, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Shae

...or should I say lack of coverage.

November 6, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. truth is stranger than fiction

When I pressed the Obama button on the voting machine the machine threw up a message that said "Seriously? 4 more years of failure?" I pressed the YES button and then men in white jackets took me away.

November 6, 2012 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  13. Steve- Illinois

The only hope Biden has to win an election in 2016, is if he runs for dog cathcher, and his opponent is a dog.

November 6, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Cass

Biggest problem in the Baltimore Metro area that I am hearing is the lines are too long and so far 2 people I know just said forget it and went about their day. I voted by absentee ballot because I wasn't sure I would be in town.

November 6, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. 2020

When Romney said he is winning, he remind us all Sarah Palin. All day dreamer !!!!

And, we all know the result of it.

If you watch Romney closely, you see a loser. He doesn't have the character, the X factor that is convincing.

November 6, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Matt

No doubt air force 2 must of run out of miller high life ~ Biden will put it down anywhere to pick up another sixer ~

November 6, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. Tim

The Obama campaign must really dislike Ohio to send Biden to annoy them.

November 6, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. GI Joe

Machines in PA and WV are changing Obama votes to Romney. Double check your machine. It's been reported, but it's still going on.

November 6, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. voter FLA

Just waited 4 and 1/2 hrs to vote in cape coral fla police had to be called because the line was'nt moving and almost had a riot. The church which had 2 precints there 1-50 ratio of people voting. Our side only had 1 achine which was not working as it should very slow and the other had 2 machines. The other line completely went down and we had not moved very frustrating. I will eary vote nomatter how long the line is. Terribly run election. The supervisior of elections of course was unavailable and she is retiring not looking for re-election. Good thing. So disappointing. Never had to wait this long in my life to vote and I am not a young chick...... Hope it gets better or people will be voting till Midnight.

November 6, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. California Gary

@Matt.........wouldn't you?

November 6, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. James Hartman

First of all, I want to thank all of my fellow countrymen that have taken the time and gone to the effort (some by waiting in line for hours) to vote, regardless of who they cast ballots for. Democracy is a participatory.
    Second, if any official is found to be tampering with the legitimate vote tally, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. (That includes any state secretary of state).
    Finally, lets tone down the vitriol. We all care about this country. Let us work together for a better government of the people, by the people and for the people.

November 6, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. LOTR

American Citizens. My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you, stand, fired up, ready to go, charges, forwards, and VOTE for OBAMA 2012!

November 6, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. VoteforR

Biden in Ohio- yes! As a republican I can't think of a better place for Biden to campaign, while he still has a chance. Run Joe Run!

November 6, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. BigE

What a job creator! Massachusetts placed 47th of the 50 states in new job creation over the course of Romney’s term. What a great success he was!

November 6, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  25. Disgusted

Why is Biden in Ohio? I thought that state was all sewed up for Obama. Makes no sense.

November 6, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |