November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Biden makes surprise stop in Ohio

(CNN) – Mitt Romney's campaign plane and Air Force Two, which carries the vice president, crossed paths at a Cleveland airport Tuesday morning after Joe Biden made a previously-unannounced but long scheduled stop in Ohio, according to pool reports.

Biden was en route from Delaware, where he voted Tuesday morning, to Chicago to join the president in an election night watch party.

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

The vice president descended the plane's steps at 11:49 a.m. ET, with the Romney campaign plane a couple hundred yards away. The plane for Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney's running mate, was also landing as Biden's motorcade began rolling on the tarmac.

Around 12:15 p.m. ET, Biden arrived at Landmark Restaurant for a campaign stop, where he greeted and took photos with supporters.

One woman asked if he had plans to run for president in 2016.

"Oh, I'm going to go back home and run for county council," he said, drawing laughs. Another women stood up and shouted that Biden had her vote. Earlier Tuesday, he hinted that he could appear on a future ballot.

The vice president was also asked if he saw the Romney and Ryan planes on the tarmac, but Biden's answer was unclear

"They told me they were going to–," Biden said, cutting himself off. "I mean, when we landed they said, said they were there," Biden continued, as he posed for a photo with a supporter.

The vice president has campaigned in Ohio, a crucial battleground, more than any other state this cycle. Romney and Ryan were also in the Buckeye State for last-minute campaign stops.

Meanwhile, back at the airport, Ryan's children, nephews, and wife Janna played football on the tarmac between the two campaign planes.

– CNN National Political Correspondent Jim Acosta contributed to this report.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Filed under: 2012 • Joe Biden • Ohio
  1. Disgusted

Why is Biden in Ohio? I thought that state was all sewed up for Obama. Makes no sense.

November 6, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. RobK

Optical scan voting is the way to go. Provides an automatic paper trail. Can be used even if power goes out. Notifies voter if they made a mistake by filling in more than one circle. Touch screens are bogus.

November 6, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. BeemsinNYS

First of all I was surprised they required absolutely no ID to vote, and even more suprised that we were filling out paper ballots with a Sharpie that was then fed into some kind of machine that reads the ballot. Hopefully this is an accurate method, first time I've ever done it this way.

November 6, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. Megamimi

having voted early myself, I had no problems, however I feel sorry for those people in precincts where GOP poll watchers have been physically thrown out; where NBP members are marching in front of voting precinct doors; where Obama posters and pro Obama poll workers are by their presence, an intimidating force.

November 6, 2012 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Malory Archer

No Magic Underpants

What happened to CNN's "Electoral College Map With Polls" that they had up about an hour ago? Why did they take it down? It clearly showed Obama as the likely winner. What's going on, CNN?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You answered your own question my dear: It clearly showed Obama as the likely winner.

November 6, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. Tired of republican lies

I voted straight blue!!! Obama/Biden!!! I refuse to go back...I voted for my young daughter's rights!!!

November 6, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. truth hurts

Is Crazy Joe back in Ohio for some more pictures with the biker women?! I thought sanity was a pre-requisite for holding the office of VP. If the Republicans had somebody as nutty as Biden on the ticket they'd be attacked and mocked relentlessly. But Crazy Joe just keeps getting a free ride from the press, just like Obama.

November 6, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Karina

I have dual nationality and in my life time I have voted in three countries.
    Never have I been able to vote without being a registered voter and that is how it should be.
    Nor have I ever witnessed such circus like campaigns and obscene amounts of money spent.
    Be reminded that politicians are public servants and we the taxpayers are their employer.

November 6, 2012 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. Vicki Caraffi

I think filling in the ovals and having the ballot scanned is a much more reliable system than the touch screen. If they set the system up properly, it could also do the counting.

Why do we not use the technology that is available to make voting a secure, reliable process?

November 6, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Vicki Caraffi

Go Obama!

November 6, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Malory Archer

Matt

No doubt air force 2 must of run out of miller high life ~ Biden will put it down anywhere to pick up another sixer ~

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So he buys American. Good on him!

November 6, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  12. Buckeye

GOP clowns need to remember this - we in Ohio remember who was for SB5 and who's been lying to us about the auto bailout. We welcome VP Biden and will send Willard and Lyin back home sad as the losers that they are.

November 6, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

ory Archer

No Magic Underpants

-----------------–
    My bet is that CNN didn't want anything to be misconstrued as premature election results.

November 6, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. Bye Bye Mitt Witt

"So ummm.. what should we have Congresman Ryan do while you are making a speech?" Mitts Campaign asked him.
    "I don't know.. just keep him away from the microphone.. give him a football to throw around or something." Mitt replied.

November 6, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. Sherlock

Gee, Biden had to go looking for votes. Not a good sign for team obama.

November 6, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. truth hurts

Malory Archer
    Matt
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So he buys American. Good on him!
    ================================

"The Miller Brewing Company is an American beer brewing company owned by the United Kingdom-based SABMiller."

As clueless as ever Malory... but you ARE consistent if nothing else.

November 6, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Mary Martin

President Obama / Vice President Biden you have my support 100%. I cannot wait for your RE-ELECTION as the President of the United States!

November 6, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. Malory Archer

truth hurts

Malory Archer
    Matt
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So he buys American. Good on him!
    ================================

As clueless as ever Malory... but you ARE consistent if nothing else.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

wikipedia is your friend huh, truthy? While Miller Brewing is OWNED by a British corporation, all operations are conducted IN AMERICA BY AMERICANS.

November 6, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. Badgering and Harassment over ID in Chambersburg PA

Although ID isn't required for other than 1st time voters in PA, they announce at the polls to have your ID ready and those who know the law and refuse are badgered and harassed. Also had cases of 3 people that I know of that were turned away and not allowed to vote for wearing Obama t-shirts, which is also NOT a rule for voters but for poll watchers and poll workers. It's so sad that the GOP has to stoop to this level of BS because they know they can't win at a fair contest and treating people fairly. I hope that when, WHEN romney loses this, he goes back to Utah or the Caymans or China and leaves the decent folks of this country alone. We don't need him or his witchcraft/voodoo religion. And the GOP is just a bunch of scared, racist idiots that hopefully be filing for unemployment very soon. I've got your 47% right here!!!!

November 6, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. TS

Unbelievable that this is even close. After the total incompetence and failure on EVERY SINGLE front by Obama for the past 3 1/2 years, nearly 1/2 of the country still want more of him. Utter insanity.

November 6, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Anne

GI Joe
    Machines in PA and WV are changing Obama votes to Romney. Double check your machine. It's been reported, but it's still going on.
    -----–
    It's been reported the other way too, so stop the stupid rumors. Of course you have to check your vote! You never know what the Chicago political machine is able to do.

November 6, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Mary Martin

I will NEVER forget Romney's behind the closed door comment about the" 47% " or Ann Ronmey's comment of "you people." Romney isn't for the people of the United States period.

November 6, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. j

I voted in PA. The voter ID law (which I do support) isn't yet in effect for this election. They may still ask for it, but they're not supposed to turn you away. Example: I was asked for my ID, as was the couple in front of me, but they didn't have theirs and were still allowed to vote. The problem is that apparently in some districts including Harrisburg a fake mailer was sent out at the end of September telling voters that they must have their IDs. So, although there wasn't any confusion at the station where I voted, there are stories of issues elsewhere.

November 6, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. hilroy

CNN is at it again and will cost the president votes. Stop the unfair reporting Erin. While in the gym, I saw the misleading headline "Romney campaigns and Obama plays basket ball" I saw the president and he was on the phone and still directing his various staff members and not playing basket ball. Given all the racism that he had sent his way, he is
    still under stress control and has been for the past year and a half so what is wrong with releiving some stress with basket ball.? Time to stop the bias reporting CNN

November 6, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  25. truth hurts

Malory Archer
    ============================================================================================
    Yeah Malory.... I didn't have to go too far to prove you don't know much. And all the profits get sent to the UK OWNED COMPANY so if you support this model then you support everything that Romney did as a private businessman. Welcome to a global economy. Something you, the Democrats and Obama just don't understand.

November 6, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |