Long lines, sporadic snags in U.S. election
November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Long lines, sporadic snags in U.S. election

(CNN) - Long lines and sporadic problems with voting machines caused snags in some key states during Tuesday's closely watched U.S. election.

Voters waited for two hours in northern Virginia and three hours in some parts of south Florida, leading some people to walk away before casting a ballot.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012
  1. Marianne Menter

How many billions does CNN need to make from this election? It has not gone unnoticed that your sponsors are banks, drug companies, and insurance giants. This, bad enough. But on ELECTION DAY to run ads upon ads as your audience attempts to find enough clarity for an intelligent vote is unconscionable. There are equal time requirements as well. what happened to those? To hear a Koch-financed transplant prattle on about "Socialism" every hour upon the hour is frankly offensive. The USA in 2012 has much more to fear from the fallout if the lunatic right takes over than from any imagined threat from the left. This morning's airing of Romney's shameless election day campaigning followed by Giuliani was just too much. The combination of racism and rivers of money- enough to make a serious dent in the much-discusses "debt" was just too much. With the exceptions of Anderson Cooper, Fareed Zakaria, Don Lemmon, Dr. Sanjay, and a handful of others, CNN will no longer claim its former air time in my home. There are other news outlets, and I will find them. I will turn off Gloria Borger on sight. I will not let my living room be a cheering section for "what Romney needs to win." OBAMA/BIDEN 2012! So take that you pharmeceutical panderers!

November 6, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. kayla

am with you marianne, enough of cnn fox 2, cnn is nothing but fox 2. what cnn should be doing is reporting on voter supression, bad voting machines and the humongous lines of people waiting. do your job and stop trying to help the twitt win.

November 6, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Bill from GA

" northern Virginia ... south Florida "

Aren't these heavy Democrat areas of states with republican governors?

Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

November 6, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Marja d'Hollosy

Bravo Marianne Menter!

November 6, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. Rocket

Voted in Lorton, VA today. Fairfax County is part of the highly coveted, and progressive, northern Virgina coalition which provided Pres. Obama with the margin he needed to turn VA blue four years ago.
    I went to my precinct at 0900 and 1100 and it was too crowded, 200 people in line and an hour wait. Went again at 1400 and it only took my wife and I about 10 minutes to get through.
    We have been here for 20 years, as the area has grown we've moved precincts for every general election. We have NEVER had lines like we saw today. I believe this is good for Pres. Obama and I'm optimistic that VA will be called for him at about 1905, setting the stage for a long republican night of dissapointment.
    I am proud to be an american and even if Obama doesn't win, as long as it was a legal victory for Romney, I will still be proud to be an American. Folks on the left and right, we're different okay? No one wants to ruin this great country and we all want a bright future for our kids.
    We're not opressed, our freedom is the greatest in the world, and it's okay to be different in our values. Take heart and get along with your fellow americans regardless of their political leanings. We can do it!

November 6, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. al in memphis

I know that machine will occasionally mess up and maybe not count a vote, but this machine took it away from Obama and gave it to Romney. Who knows what happen when they go through their audits, as long as there were 100 votes and we have 100 cards– it must be correct.

not so fast– I think we can see thru this.

November 6, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. 297 electoral votes for Obama

You saw it here first.
    I'm proud to be a Virginian. Tonight we lead the way for our President to earn his second term

Oh yeah. GO STEELERS

November 6, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People!

PSA: On this Election Day, please note that in FL if it is raining, the large metal mass from all the Buick LeSabres and Lincoln Town cars, coupled with the number of metal walkers, could pose a lightening strike threat.

Be safe, wear sneakers!

November 6, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  9. MDNA = MaDge Not Applicable!

Folks are voting that is the important thing.

Also, I will watch Fox Lite from 5-6 since you will be reporting on exit polls, the rest of the night, not so much.

November 6, 2012 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. William

I disagree with this— because not only is it a cheesy gimmick for ratings, it is a cheesy gimmick that suggests it is okay to split the whole country into trenches of red and blue. CNN touts right-left neutrality, yet they are fully complicit in the biggest problem our country faces: the political polarization of right and left, to the extent that nothing can get done. Maybe CNN should focus on accurate reporting, and rebuild their brand in a more sincere way.

November 6, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. Sniffit

"Long lines, sporadic snags in U.S. election"

Long lines, systemic GOP-manufactured snags in U.S. election.

FIFY

November 6, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. Wake up People!

@Marianne!! I agree with every word you typed. I have been saying the same things for months now. Cnn is now FOX lite.

@GOP, Too funny!!

OBAMA 2012!

November 6, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. Thomas

Thanks GOP , you make us look like a third world country with a 1% elitist voting system .

Romney = BW Bush x 2.