November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama: 'fired up, ready to go' one more time

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered his final campaign speech in a chilly Des Moines, Iowa Monday night in remarks peppered with references to his 2008 campaign and the Iowa caucus victory that helped catapult his political career.

"I've come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote," Obama told the battleground crowd. "Help us finish what we started because this is where our movement of change began."

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Iowa voters who "showed up at town hall meetings in 2007," know what "real change" looks like, the president said.

"You taught me to bet on hope," he added.

He even recounted the story of the Greenville, South Carolina woman, Edith Childs, who inspired the "fired up, ready to go" chant of his first presidential campaign.

"Iowa, in 2008 your vote changed the world and Edith Childs asked me to ask you that if you're willing to stand with me tomorrow ... she's pretty sure we'll win Iowa," Obama said. "She's pretty sure we'll win this election, and she just has one question for you and that is, are you fired up?"

To which the crowd of 20,000 chanted, "Ready to go."

Nostalgia was a theme throughout the day for the Obama campaign. Members of the 2008 campaign team joined their former boss on the trail and Obama aides were clad in vintage 2008 clothing. His 2008 campaign Hawkeye State headquarters also served as a backdrop to Monday's rally, in addition to the score of "Forward" signs and oversized American flags.

Michelle Obama, who introduced her husband at the event, recalled the time her family spent in the state four years ago: the house parties, local campaign headquarters, celebrating their daughter Malia's birthday and seeing "my husband's face carved in butter."

"Long before most people even knew his name, you saw what I saw," she said. "Tomorrow we get to finish what we started here."

While the president showed his feelings through a few tears streaming down his face, the first lady also acknowledged it is an "emotional time" for her family.

"This is the final event of my husband's final campaign," she said. "This is the last time he and I will be on stage together at a campaign rally. That is why we wanted to come to Iowa tonight because truly this is where it all began, right here."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • President Obama
  1. don

Forward we go...

November 6, 2012 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  2. wolfpackbob

It is The Econoomy, Mr. President. Your Economy, Mr. President. You built that.

November 6, 2012 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  3. dem209

lets fire Obama tomorrow

November 6, 2012 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  4. Andrew Bennett

God's speed and blessing President Obama I hope your victorious later on tonight!

November 6, 2012 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  5. Richard Wad

We are glad you are ready to go Mr. President.

November 6, 2012 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  6. John Balbi

Fired is the right word as in YOUR FIRED Obama!!!!

November 6, 2012 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  7. Jim whalen

I'm still loking for what change he is talking about? I guess I was asleep the past 4 Yrs because for sure I'm not better off now than I was.

November 6, 2012 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  8. carrol

I will give my vote to obama for four more years.for a second term

November 6, 2012 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  9. MN

Yes Obama, you are fired and ready to go into retirement! Free at last.....

November 6, 2012 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  10. trinimum

Gee the headline got my hopes up- thought it said Obama Fired...oh well I heard this speach & the man used 4 letter words...really this is who the media feels should be our president? Time for a man who has taken on tough challengs, prospered and picked winners

R& R 2012

November 6, 2012 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  11. Lungisa

I think Barack deserves a second term,he could not change all the peoples lives in one term

November 6, 2012 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  12. Marry

America and the President are "fired up and ready to go" not just today but for four more years!
    We do not want to get trickled down on again and we do not want our country to get harvested!
    President Obama 2012! And a strait "D" ticket! The way to go forward!

November 6, 2012 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  13. alan fischer

Obama has to go

November 6, 2012 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  14. lila

God Bless. His tears, like memories rolled down his face like my own. He touched my heart tonight.

November 6, 2012 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  15. Joe

Fired up and ready to go? Lol where has he been the last 4 years! I love the simpletons that still support him- Forward with failure. Worst president in modern history- lets give home 4 more years to see the damage he can really do.lol

November 6, 2012 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  16. tylenol

Why do rich people think they can buy the White House? it doesnt work like that so Romney ,, Mccain,,,Rudy,,Bush,,, Trump, go play some Golf,, and buy another hair piece or two,,,They're on Sale,, Buy one Get one Free,,,We Got a Country to fix from your Mess!,,,, Obama-Biden! FORWARD!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  17. temmybest

President obama has done a great job since his assumption in the office,the concept and clearity is there and I believe his going to win

November 6, 2012 04:06 am at 4:06 am |
  18. Name Robert

Good Luck, God Bless Foward Mr.
    PRESIDENT.

November 6, 2012 04:16 am at 4:16 am |
  19. Gurgyl

America middle class need OBAMA. USA, please vote for OBAMA12. Period.

November 6, 2012 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  20. sir

please lord not 4 more years of this wimp.

November 6, 2012 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  21. ABDULLAHI

I wish obama 2 b d presdent of us 4 d next 7yrs

November 6, 2012 05:09 am at 5:09 am |
  22. fernace

So, let's finish it by putting him back in the White House, already! He took us off the cliff, fought his way through obstruction & the GOT-Party trying to make him 1 term & stands up for every American's future, not just the cherrypicked few! Romney has nothing to come with, except old failed policy "leftovers" from the W days & some really extreme proposals from T-Party folk he endorses! Not to mention wanting to cut budgets of everything we need, like healthcare & education! Obama is the Real man of the people, for the people! 4 More, Obama/Biden!!

November 6, 2012 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  23. taxweary1

Were all ready for him to go too!If not hello greece were doomed!

November 6, 2012 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  24. mike

The headline is way too lengthy. It should read Obams "fired".

November 6, 2012 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  25. NONOBO

yeah, you sought right Mr Obama " YOU ARE FIRED AND READY TO GO BACK TO CHICAGO" . American people will send you a notice of vacate today, Nov 6 2012.

November 6, 2012 05:36 am at 5:36 am |