November 6th, 2012

Obama: 'fired up, ready to go' one more time

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered his final campaign speech in a chilly Des Moines, Iowa Monday night in remarks peppered with references to his 2008 campaign and the Iowa caucus victory that helped catapult his political career.

"I've come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote," Obama told the battleground crowd. "Help us finish what we started because this is where our movement of change began."

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Iowa voters who "showed up at town hall meetings in 2007," know what "real change" looks like, the president said.

"You taught me to bet on hope," he added.

He even recounted the story of the Greenville, South Carolina woman, Edith Childs, who inspired the "fired up, ready to go" chant of his first presidential campaign.

"Iowa, in 2008 your vote changed the world and Edith Childs asked me to ask you that if you're willing to stand with me tomorrow ... she's pretty sure we'll win Iowa," Obama said. "She's pretty sure we'll win this election, and she just has one question for you and that is, are you fired up?"

To which the crowd of 20,000 chanted, "Ready to go."

Nostalgia was a theme throughout the day for the Obama campaign. Members of the 2008 campaign team joined their former boss on the trail and Obama aides were clad in vintage 2008 clothing. His 2008 campaign Hawkeye State headquarters also served as a backdrop to Monday's rally, in addition to the score of "Forward" signs and oversized American flags.

Michelle Obama, who introduced her husband at the event, recalled the time her family spent in the state four years ago: the house parties, local campaign headquarters, celebrating their daughter Malia's birthday and seeing "my husband's face carved in butter."

"Long before most people even knew his name, you saw what I saw," she said. "Tomorrow we get to finish what we started here."

While the president showed his feelings through a few tears streaming down his face, the first lady also acknowledged it is an "emotional time" for her family.

"This is the final event of my husband's final campaign," she said. "This is the last time he and I will be on stage together at a campaign rally. That is why we wanted to come to Iowa tonight because truly this is where it all began, right here."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • President Obama
  1. Sheila Sewell

What a rally. I cried, I laughed, I was re-energized by President Obama's message.
    I pray that God will allow every person that is willing to vote, a chance to do so. I live in Elkton, Maryland when I voted early on Friday, the process took ten minutes, there was line around the block. How can a few Republicans turn our hard fought right to vote into a third world event with a waiting line of six hours curved around the block. How could any person who claimes to love God purposely inflict that on their on constitutes, does that not look like communism.

November 6, 2012 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  2. MH

Today the decision is in the hands of the American voters. Let's pray that each person steps back, takes the long perspective, and recognizes the impossibly difficult, messy task that Obama/Biden were handed in 2009 and just how much they have accomplished with steady perseverance. No republican, democrat, or independent could apply an instant "fix it" mentality to the 8 years of Bush mismanagement. Slow and steady wins the race. Americans are quick to forget the complexity of the mess he inherited. He has done an excellent job. Please give him four more years to continue the healing of the divisions and the economy..

November 6, 2012 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  3. ray

GET"EM MR. President!! You're the best man for the job!!!

November 6, 2012 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  4. Brian

No Mr. Obama...not fired up....just fired. Please pack your bags now.

November 6, 2012 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  5. Karen

I love that they closed in Iowa! President Obama has REAL feelings and it was almost a picture perfect closing! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012!!!! No matter what happens...he has done a fantastic job in SPITE of all the obstructionism and all the crap Bush left behind! I hope he will continue his journey and us with him for the next four years. We're getting off to a better start already.

November 6, 2012 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  6. the infidel

I agree with him getting fired bit!

November 6, 2012 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  7. Michael

I am fired up and ready to vote you out of office.

November 6, 2012 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  8. stephen

I'm going for Mr, Obama

November 6, 2012 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  9. Scott

"Fired up, ready to go"? I'd settle for fired, ready to go.

But then again, it would be interesting to see what kind of deal he is going to make with Putin if he gets re-elected. Obviously it isn't something that he would own up to on the campaign trail. Scary stuff.

November 6, 2012 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  10. BetterDaysAhead

Please dont help him finish the job he started destroying the nation as we know it. Just like your family, the government cant live without a budget either!

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!

November 6, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  11. ROMNEYRYAN2012

"Obama Fired Up and Ready to Go"?
    Right. He's laying low today (per CNN's headline)
    yet Romney is out campaigning. Who's working harder? ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!
    TIME FOR A GOOD CHANGE!

November 6, 2012 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  12. anonoymous

Im fired up.....getting ready to go vote now.....OBAMA 2012

November 6, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  13. SokrMom

Go, 'Bama, go! Roll, Sapphire Tide!

November 6, 2012 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  14. Namebritney

Go obama he's the only won that truly cares

November 6, 2012 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  15. tomj

today i pray that the gods of everyone will smile down upon the earth and it inhabitants and grant them the knowledge, strength and faith to allow the president to continue to work to make our people and our country good citizens of the world.

November 6, 2012 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  16. DAY

Awesome... looking forward to his next term.

November 6, 2012 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  17. Fernando

Don't let us down Iowa.

November 6, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  18. ForGoodOfAll

I was so fired up this morning when I voted President Obama and the full Democratic ticket!!!!

November 6, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  19. sunsudo

They got the headline wrong. it should say Obama fired go home " Michelle get the passports ready I'm sure one of the arab nations will take us in"

November 6, 2012 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  20. bill Fitzgerald

We are so ready for you to go away.

November 6, 2012 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  21. Marry

"fired up – ready to go!" Yes, Mr. President we are!!!!

November 6, 2012 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  22. Bryce

That was truly emotional for me

November 6, 2012 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  23. Terri

that was a fantastic speech, Mr. President! Love you and your family – we are ready to go and fired up to be with you the next 4 years – then Clinton for the next 8 years – let's keep the GOPER'S out of office for the next 100 years!!!!

November 6, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  24. Gurgyl

I already voted for OBAMA AND DIRECT DEMOCRATIC TICKET. Obama12.

November 6, 2012 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  25. GAPA

Mr. President, thank you for you sacrifice to serve and make the tough choices for "the least of these". I feel your heart. God Bless you and The United States of America. I am fired up! Ready to Go! Praying and voting for you today in Chester County (Surburban Philly) PA.

November 6, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |