November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama: 'fired up, ready to go' one more time

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered his final campaign speech in a chilly Des Moines, Iowa Monday night in remarks peppered with references to his 2008 campaign and the Iowa caucus victory that helped catapult his political career.

"I've come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote," Obama told the battleground crowd. "Help us finish what we started because this is where our movement of change began."

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Iowa voters who "showed up at town hall meetings in 2007," know what "real change" looks like, the president said.

"You taught me to bet on hope," he added.

He even recounted the story of the Greenville, South Carolina woman, Edith Childs, who inspired the "fired up, ready to go" chant of his first presidential campaign.

"Iowa, in 2008 your vote changed the world and Edith Childs asked me to ask you that if you're willing to stand with me tomorrow ... she's pretty sure we'll win Iowa," Obama said. "She's pretty sure we'll win this election, and she just has one question for you and that is, are you fired up?"

To which the crowd of 20,000 chanted, "Ready to go."

Nostalgia was a theme throughout the day for the Obama campaign. Members of the 2008 campaign team joined their former boss on the trail and Obama aides were clad in vintage 2008 clothing. His 2008 campaign Hawkeye State headquarters also served as a backdrop to Monday's rally, in addition to the score of "Forward" signs and oversized American flags.

Michelle Obama, who introduced her husband at the event, recalled the time her family spent in the state four years ago: the house parties, local campaign headquarters, celebrating their daughter Malia's birthday and seeing "my husband's face carved in butter."

"Long before most people even knew his name, you saw what I saw," she said. "Tomorrow we get to finish what we started here."

While the president showed his feelings through a few tears streaming down his face, the first lady also acknowledged it is an "emotional time" for her family.

"This is the final event of my husband's final campaign," she said. "This is the last time he and I will be on stage together at a campaign rally. That is why we wanted to come to Iowa tonight because truly this is where it all began, right here."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • President Obama
  1. Joan

Thanks for writing this article. I was once again in awe of this man Barack Obama and his beautiful talented wife Lady Michelle. I watched it last night and that was a very moving sincere ending to this campaign. I know the Lord God in heaven who is the only judge of onces' heart saw the true and honest Leader Mr. Obama last night. Throughout his speech last night he did not even mentioned Mitt Romney. He just talked to people from the dept of his Loin ( as Mr. Biden said). If you have a good heart beating in your chest you could feel it and it shows a clear choice between this man and Romney. I hope people you will all go out and vote. We must give this man another 4 years for him to finish what he has started. American please, please pray that God will touch the hearts of the people in Congress and that they will step and put their hate for Obama aside and do the work that we the people send them their to do. To work together to pass bills that will help people back to work and better the economy. This will set American back on track. Please pray and may
    God bless you all as you go Vote....

November 6, 2012 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  2. 4 More Years

Mr Obama you have done a wonderful skillful job navigating out country through hard times, the auto industry thanks you, the people of America thank you, and you will indeed be rewarded with 4 more yrs, kudos to you kind sir, you are a class act

OBAMA 2012 !

November 6, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. independent

Voted for Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan this morning. Go Romney/Ryan 2012!!!

November 6, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. No trust in polls

Say what you want about his policies, but with that tear and emotion, Obama just TOTALLY WRAPPED UP THE WOMAN VOTE!!!

November 6, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. Philip Kaaret

Obama gave a great speech, a very inspiring recollection of his early days and his achievements over the past four years. I am proud to have been an Iowan who caucused for Obama in 2008. I have already voted for Obama in 2012 and encourage everyone to get out and do the same.

November 6, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

We are not so much excited to vote you back in for a second term Mr. President as we are DETERMINED to give you the second term that you have EARNED.

4 more 4 44.
    Obama 2012. Seriously America.

November 6, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. independent

All women I know are voting for Romney/Ryan. The intelligent women I know don't whine about "free birth control."

November 6, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  8. Harry From Pa

Voted for Obama/Biden, Lets get out the vote, lets keep moving forward. Lets unite and make sure we get another 4 years. Fired Up, and Ready to Go.

November 6, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  9. Bengt Stenstrom

The WORLD wants Obama! The World NEEDS Obama!!!

November 6, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. jnpa

I don't trust Romney. He is a pathetic phoney and a fraud. There is something about Bain and his tax records that just doesn't sit well with me.

November 6, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. Ancient Texan

If Obama wins...America loses!

November 6, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  12. DC Observer

Obama gets emptional - WAH WAH WAH I did a lousy job for 4 years and now I am going to lose my job - WAH WAH WAH

November 6, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  13. sammieb51

Go Obama!!! The perfect man for the times we are living in. I saw a sign yesterday that said vote for HOPE or vote for HATE. Romney/Ryan represent the HATE in America, the part of our country we like to think is gone or at least silenced. They are scared little people that cling to archaic beliefs and live unexamined lives; they want it all for themselves and balk when others say they need some of what they put in back. They are the guy in line who votes against retail expansion in his neighborhood but then complains he has to drive so far to the store. They don't think long term. Small brains. Perfect victims for folks like Bush, Cheney, Rush.

Please vote for HOPE, that is the future.

November 6, 2012 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  14. CathyinMN

To independent – ALL the women I know are voting OBAMA/Biden. No one is whinning about free birth control! It's about being able to make our own decisions. Maybe you don't know as many intelligent women as you thought you did.

November 6, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  15. blake

Tomorrow you will be a lame duck. It will be official that you are another one termer. We already know it has been a failed presidency built around a failed ideology.

November 6, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  16. conrad

Voted Obama and straight Dem ticket this morning!

Go President!

November 6, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  17. Critical Thinking

@ fernace: I would think this election like none other had taught us how government works! But still people make uneducated statements as to who is responsible to rebuild our economy! If a president is hampered by a congress w/a 2 point agenda,(no tax for 1%, Obama 1 term), who throw tantrums like toddlers & obstruct at every turn if they don't get their agenda pushed thru, we have the slow recovery we've experienced!

How soon we choose to forget that this President had 2 Full YEARS with a democratic house, and a democratic senate and he choose, he only, to focus on health care and not the economy. He made that decision as executive-in-chief, no one else forced him to do that. So fast forward and the democrats complain that he hasn't gotten the cooperation from republicans after the President shoved his health care policy down their throats. Are you kidding me? Would you cooperate with someone who shoved something down your throat?

November 6, 2012 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  18. IDontBelieveIt

Obama's been taking acting lessons from his rich, Hollywood actor friends! A few forced tears are CHEAPER than an expensive TV Ad!!!!!!

He's crying because Big Michelle will leave him high and dry if he loses this election.

November 6, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  19. Grady

you did alright Mr.President...4 more years...

November 6, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  20. ThinkAgain: All of the GOP's policies are proven failures!

@Sid: "Why should Iran have an interest in President Obama's reelection ???"

Let's consider the source for the DEBKA story. According to Wired's Noah Shachtman, DEBKA "clearly reports with a point of view; the site is unabashedly in the hawkish camp of Israeli politics," adding that Debka had partnered with the right-wing news site WorldNetDaily.

Yediot Achronot investigative reporter Ronen Bergman states that the site relies on information from sources with an agenda, such as neo-conservative elements of the US Republican Party, "whose worldview is that the situation is bad and is only going to get worse."

Israeli intelligence officials do not consider even 10 percent of the site's content to be reliable.

Thanks for playing, Sid; I'm going to stick with reality and vote Obama/Biden!

November 6, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Joi Gibson

Fired Up and Ready to Go!! We are with you Mr. President.

4 More for 44!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN/FIRST LADY MICHELLE 2012!!!

November 6, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  22. TFB

@independent...My wish for you is that you get to know a few more women. The intelligent women I know don't vote just one way: in other words, it's not the case that all intelligent women vote for x or y. Rather, "intelligent" women thankfully all have separate opinions about what matters and doesn't matter to them. From one intelligent woman to another, you should know that I proudly voted for the Obama/Biden ticket. #4moreyears.

November 6, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. alexus

obama has done nothing but goood for this contry and your letting him down? come on.

November 6, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. alexus

you will win obama.;)

November 6, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Me IN HOUSTON

OKAY!
    I have done all that I can do
    I have contributed to the campaign (more than once)
    I have talked to my friends and neigbors
    I have made a few phone calls
    I have knocked on doors
    I VOTED
    I even got a few extra people to the polls
    AND I DID THIS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS (talk about acts of futility)
    I have done ALL that I could do
    now, it's time to sit back and hope that my efforts and the efforts of millions of others just like me will give us the desired result
    OBAMA 2012!