November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama: 'fired up, ready to go' one more time

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered his final campaign speech in a chilly Des Moines, Iowa Monday night in remarks peppered with references to his 2008 campaign and the Iowa caucus victory that helped catapult his political career.

"I've come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote," Obama told the battleground crowd. "Help us finish what we started because this is where our movement of change began."

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Iowa voters who "showed up at town hall meetings in 2007," know what "real change" looks like, the president said.

"You taught me to bet on hope," he added.

He even recounted the story of the Greenville, South Carolina woman, Edith Childs, who inspired the "fired up, ready to go" chant of his first presidential campaign.

"Iowa, in 2008 your vote changed the world and Edith Childs asked me to ask you that if you're willing to stand with me tomorrow ... she's pretty sure we'll win Iowa," Obama said. "She's pretty sure we'll win this election, and she just has one question for you and that is, are you fired up?"

To which the crowd of 20,000 chanted, "Ready to go."

Nostalgia was a theme throughout the day for the Obama campaign. Members of the 2008 campaign team joined their former boss on the trail and Obama aides were clad in vintage 2008 clothing. His 2008 campaign Hawkeye State headquarters also served as a backdrop to Monday's rally, in addition to the score of "Forward" signs and oversized American flags.

Michelle Obama, who introduced her husband at the event, recalled the time her family spent in the state four years ago: the house parties, local campaign headquarters, celebrating their daughter Malia's birthday and seeing "my husband's face carved in butter."

"Long before most people even knew his name, you saw what I saw," she said. "Tomorrow we get to finish what we started here."

While the president showed his feelings through a few tears streaming down his face, the first lady also acknowledged it is an "emotional time" for her family.

"This is the final event of my husband's final campaign," she said. "This is the last time he and I will be on stage together at a campaign rally. That is why we wanted to come to Iowa tonight because truly this is where it all began, right here."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • President Obama
  1. FrankA

If I was getting ready to lose my mansion, servants, helicopter, jet, and taxpayer funded luxury vacations, I'd get emotional too.

November 6, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. akorage

Up till this election morning, what does anyone casting a vote for Romney know about him? He still has not come clean of all that he has been hiding and it seems he knows we are stupid, so he is getting even some of the 47% voting for him this morning. Pathetic.

November 6, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. RobK

70 Republican poll watchers kicked out in Philadelphia by Democrats. The dirty tricks are starting.

November 6, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. IDontBelieveIt

I'm an intelligent professional woman and I DON'T vote for 24/7 irresponsible sex - the destruction of family values - and the murder of the USA tally of 53 MILLION abortions!
    I vote for an economy that's NOT in ruins - jobs - an effective foreign policy and a STRONG leader [unlike Obama of the rubber spine!]
    ROMNEY RYAN 2012 for REAL CHANGE and respect for PEOPLE!

November 6, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. GOp Hate America

To Independent - all the woman I know are voting for Obama. Its not birth control. They just do not like the idea that the Republicans are cool with rape.

November 6, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. darren

President Obama is wnning the women voting by double digits. Romney is winning the white male vote. More women vote in elections that men. 10-12 million more women are expected to vote in this election compared men.

November 6, 2012 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Nice job Me IN HOUSTON!!
    Fear not our efforts will pay off and give 4 more 4 44!!!

November 6, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  8. chupacabra

Win or lose...I'm proud to say "I voted for Obama"...........................

November 6, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  9. BostonianNTheWoodlandsTX

Hoping the president wins.

Should Romney win I hope the rest of the country gets what they deserve and want in him.

I predict a war with Iran in the very near future with a republican in office. Then everyone will sit around and whine and complain about the death and debt it will cause,only to sit around four years from now and then apologize for Romney.

November 6, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

It felt like Christmas this morning!
    My President is going to be RE-ELECTED!!

November 6, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. KarenFaye

I have to laugh at CathyinMN being an "intelligent" woman – so she'll vote for Obama. Apparently, she's not planning on ever having kids that will have to pay dearly for her and Obama's economic sins. Why would you vote for a man who blatantly let 4 Americans die and then lies to hide the truth???? CNN is right there with him all the way, along with NBC, CBS and ABC. Wait - when they're all struggling to stay on the air and wondering why, a lot of us will be laughing.

November 6, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  12. Uncle Wes

I suspect that we will see an embattled reaction between teams from the electoral college and the Supreme Court. I cannot believe that a close race will be tolerated in a converse fashion by the GOP if one candidate has the popular vote and the other the electoral. In some ways it resembles the voting organization of other world powers that pick their leaders by a choice of a small contingency of selectors. I voted, but I am dubious about my inclusion by the process. As a perpetual paranoid, I am always suspect of a conspiracy.

November 6, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. gt

glad its over one way or the other

November 6, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  14. Mary

independent – All women I know are voting for Romney/Ryan. The intelligent women I know don't whine about "free birth control."
    THANK YOU. That is exactly right!

November 6, 2012 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  15. Expat American

Republicans inject their extremist fascist ideology into the horrible crime of RAPE as if the victim is merely an inconvenience. This is what Paul Ryan believes in. Romney, as expected, is too much of a spineless coward to take any kind of stand.
    This is the GOP of 2012.

OBAMA 2012

November 6, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  16. Name joslie remy

I listened his speech he is good president I haven't seen in my life.i hope American people give him another 4 more years

November 6, 2012 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  17. Mary

GOp Hate America,
    Republicans are not cool with rape. And if you and your women friends think the entire Republican party thinks that way, then you are sadly mistaken. Use your actual brains.

November 6, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  18. blake

Obama will be far more emotional tomorrow when he is a lame duck. Romeny will defeat him decisively tonight. In the months ahead it will become increasingly clear that this was a failed presidency on multiple fronts. An amazingly corrupt, divisive, and deceptive administration.

November 6, 2012 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  19. akorage

@ Independent: The So called "Independent" is actually a GUY. That the main reason why he comes off on the wrong side of the equal pay-for-equal-work equation. No intelligent woman would vote for any ticket that opposes the Lily .... bill. That is the GOP Cloak & Dagger phoniness. We can see through you.

November 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Romney/Ryan lie so much until they've gone as far as to "steal" Obama's campaign slogan, they even stole the blue paint off Obama's sign.

November 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  21. Jonathan

Everyone cries when they get a layoff notice. Nothing to see here folks. Carry on.

November 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  22. Harry From Pa

Obama has the electoral votes. No republicant has one the whitehouse without Ohio, and Obama is up there even if by a few percentage points. He doesn't have to win by much, he just has to have enough electoral votes. I just can't believe people can't wake up and see the chaos and turmoil we were in, and Obama, fought against congress, against everyone that didn't want change, and they are afraid of change and want to take us back. Well we aren't going back, we are moving Forward with Obama.

November 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  23. tam

Can't imagine what good could have been done for the country and people with those over $6 billion that went for campaigning and advertising. Shame. What a loss for the country. I thought Americans were good and compassionate, not angry and mean.

November 6, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  24. FredKelly

You'd be emotional too if, in 24 hours, you had to explain to union bosses how you wasted billions of dollars they invested in your campaign.

November 6, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  25. Clarke

I am behind you Mr. President. Voted for you already!

November 6, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |