November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama: 'fired up, ready to go' one more time

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered his final campaign speech in a chilly Des Moines, Iowa Monday night in remarks peppered with references to his 2008 campaign and the Iowa caucus victory that helped catapult his political career.

"I've come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote," Obama told the battleground crowd. "Help us finish what we started because this is where our movement of change began."

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Iowa voters who "showed up at town hall meetings in 2007," know what "real change" looks like, the president said.

"You taught me to bet on hope," he added.

He even recounted the story of the Greenville, South Carolina woman, Edith Childs, who inspired the "fired up, ready to go" chant of his first presidential campaign.

"Iowa, in 2008 your vote changed the world and Edith Childs asked me to ask you that if you're willing to stand with me tomorrow ... she's pretty sure we'll win Iowa," Obama said. "She's pretty sure we'll win this election, and she just has one question for you and that is, are you fired up?"

To which the crowd of 20,000 chanted, "Ready to go."

Nostalgia was a theme throughout the day for the Obama campaign. Members of the 2008 campaign team joined their former boss on the trail and Obama aides were clad in vintage 2008 clothing. His 2008 campaign Hawkeye State headquarters also served as a backdrop to Monday's rally, in addition to the score of "Forward" signs and oversized American flags.

Michelle Obama, who introduced her husband at the event, recalled the time her family spent in the state four years ago: the house parties, local campaign headquarters, celebrating their daughter Malia's birthday and seeing "my husband's face carved in butter."

"Long before most people even knew his name, you saw what I saw," she said. "Tomorrow we get to finish what we started here."

While the president showed his feelings through a few tears streaming down his face, the first lady also acknowledged it is an "emotional time" for her family.

"This is the final event of my husband's final campaign," she said. "This is the last time he and I will be on stage together at a campaign rally. That is why we wanted to come to Iowa tonight because truly this is where it all began, right here."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • President Obama
  1. Virpar

Mr President will win this election and will have continued growth for next four years. In last fifty/sixty years no president has accomplished everything in four years. With so much he has done so far to stabilize the economy and USA's international standing, we need Mr Obama for four more years.

Good luck President.

November 6, 2012 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  2. JM

What a wonderful man. So blessed to have him as a president.

God bless him.

November 6, 2012 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. wolfpackbob

It is still The Economy, Mr. President. Your Economy, Mr. President. You built that.

November 6, 2012 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Canuck

@KarenFaye
    " Why would you vote for a man who blatantly let 4 Americans die and then lies to hide the truth???? "

Not to say that this wasn't a screw up by Obama but I'd be interested to hear why you voted for Bush again (i'm guessing) when he told lies to the American people that led to THOUSANDS of dead Americans. Why was that OK?

November 6, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Mohamed Billow

Go Obama.Fired Up and Ready to Go!! We are with you Mr. President.

4 More for 44!!!!! Even though am in KENYA and i have not voted i believe U CAN MAKE IT FOR A 2ND TERM.

November 6, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  6. Malory Archer

Ace

It is nice Obama exterminated his cousin.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WHAT???!!! You may wish to invest in a better "whatever language you butcher on a daily basis-to-English" dictionary because while I've no clue what you're trying to say I'm pretty sure "exterminate" is not the right word.

November 6, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. andy

Right out of Putin's playbook.

November 6, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  8. Middle Class Independent Swing State Voter

Everyone I know (men and women) including myself, are voting for President Obama. Our President has the majority Middle Class, Black, Latino, Gay, Women, and Educated white vote which leaves Romney with the super rich, racist, and ignorant vote. I can't wait to see the GOP's head explode when he wins again! I look forward to coming on the Ticker tommorow to read their excuses lol

OBAMA/BIDEN!!! FORWARD!!! 4 MORE YEARS!!

November 6, 2012 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Foaming Mad American

I voted for Romney, so did my wife, 4 children, their spouses, and my parents.

November 6, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  10. LMC

I want 4 more years of progress and change (Yes! There has been change!), not a return to the the '50s! Go President Obama!

November 6, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. BostonianNTheWoodlandsTX

It's like the people who call Obama the worst president ever slept through the entire George W Bush presidency or were either born in January 2009.

Otherwise how do you argue that comment and rationalize that.

Also nice to see the Romney ticket basically rip the Presidents 2008 campaign for slogans and ideas. . Now Romney is the candidate of change. Now they are using "do you want more of the same" I mean nothing original. The sad part is they rip him for it on one hand, and shamelessly campaign with it on the other hand.

Whaaaaaaat ?

November 6, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. 777

I have to say I was ticked off to get an email from Franklin Graham this morning telling me to vote for family values.

I did. I voted for Obama since he is pro life (i.e., he cares about his fellow humans exemplified by his life spent in service to others rather than, like Romney, serving himself whatever he wants on a silver platter with a silver spoon).

That man, Romney, does not represent anything that Christ taught.

November 6, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. Disgusted

Of course it is an emotional time. They are lamenting the possible loss of all those free vacations.

November 6, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  14. Davis

He doesn't need to be fired up....he needs to be fired!!!

November 6, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  15. SC

May God Bless You and Give you strength for the next four years. Obama/Biden 2012.

November 6, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

The couple – Romney dressed in a blazer and slacks and his wife, Ann, in a long blue coat, black boots and pearl necklace – filled out their ballots in voting adjoining voting booths at the Beech St. Center.
    ---

Oops. I missed this my first time around. Just to keep the conversation going ... I wore blue jeans, a flannel shirt, and my "Uggs".
    -------------------------------------------------
    LOL!
    I wore my pearls too. Charcoal pinstripe skirt suit, dusty pink blouse and just a spritz of Flower Bomb by Viktor and Rolf!

November 6, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. BetterDaysAhead

Impressive! He gets fired up every election season and then goes back to accomplishing absolutely nothing!

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012!

November 6, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  18. Teacher Mom

I just cast my vote for my President – Barack Obama. It felt great to vote, to participate in this democratic tradition.

November 6, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  19. ronb

Foaming Mad American

I voted for Romney, so did my wife, 4 children, their spouses, and my parents.
    -----------------------
    Veterinarians have a shot for that. Or you could just come to grips with the fact that President Obama will be President for the next four years and Willard Romney will NEVER be POTUS!!! Your choice...

November 6, 2012 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. yogi

@ ROMNEYRYAN2012
    The president is honoring a tradition not to campaign on election day. R&R are still campaigning because they are desperate, they know their chance has slipped away. Their "hard work" is nothing more than to show their wealthy donors they were serious in trying to win.

November 6, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. Ace

Malory Archer

Ace

It is nice Obama exterminated his cousin.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

______________________________

I'm sorry Molly I grew up in the south and went to high school and college in the northeast so I know I should be a converted Democrat. I stand by the wording but if you prefer you can substitute – kill, assissinate, eradicate, dispatch....

November 6, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. yogi

@Foaming Mad American
    Your madness should be directed to the man who was the cause of the terrible shape this country was in when he left office: W
    Obama 4 more years!

November 6, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. saraph

The big question is who will the right blame when they lose tonight? Was Mitt too conservative? Not conservative enough? Was Ryan a bad choice?

November 6, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. cosmo6

@KarenFaye

I guess you think it is okay instead to vote for a man (Romney) who has no integrity and makes lying a habit and who thinks it is okay to change his story line to suit the occasion. What makes you think that Romney would not do what Bush did – cheat the Americans into going to a war, lying about the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and killing hundreds of thousands of Americans in the process. A man who lies and changes his story now would not hesitate to change his story when he gets into office. Do you have a choice?? Not for me!

November 6, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  25. Babyboomer

I just returned from voting for President Obama and Vice President Biden. Next to my voting for them in 2008, this is my proudest moment as a US citizen. Our precinct was organized even though there were a lot of people and I was in and out in about 20 minutes. If you haven't gone to vote, PLEASE DO SO NOW.

Thanks citizens of Iowa for starting us on this path to recovery from the Bush era (Or I should say BUSH ERROR.).

Thank you Mr. President for being one of the best leaders of the free world we've had in a long time. Love that you signed into law equal pay for women (Lily Ledbetter law), got us Affordable Health Care (Obama Care), ordered the end of the Iraq war and the ending of the war in Afghanistan. Thanks for helping our college kids by cutting out the middle man Banks for their loans, for bailing out GM and Chrysler (just bought a new 300) and for getting Bin Laden. If ever a President deserved 4 MORE YEARS it's you. Thanks for all you've done and keep up the good work. Obama/Biden 2012

November 6, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |