November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama: 'fired up, ready to go' one more time

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - President Barack Obama delivered his final campaign speech in a chilly Des Moines, Iowa Monday night in remarks peppered with references to his 2008 campaign and the Iowa caucus victory that helped catapult his political career.

"I've come back to Iowa one more time to ask for your vote," Obama told the battleground crowd. "Help us finish what we started because this is where our movement of change began."

Watch CNN's comprehensive coverage of Election Day starting at 6 p.m. ET Tuesday on CNN TV and follow online at CNN.com or via CNN's apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. For up-to-the-minute results, go to cnn.com/results and for our real-time Election Day live blog, check out cnn.com/conversation. Need other reasons to watch Election Day coverage on CNN's platforms? Click here for our list.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Iowa voters who "showed up at town hall meetings in 2007," know what "real change" looks like, the president said.

"You taught me to bet on hope," he added.

He even recounted the story of the Greenville, South Carolina woman, Edith Childs, who inspired the "fired up, ready to go" chant of his first presidential campaign.

"Iowa, in 2008 your vote changed the world and Edith Childs asked me to ask you that if you're willing to stand with me tomorrow ... she's pretty sure we'll win Iowa," Obama said. "She's pretty sure we'll win this election, and she just has one question for you and that is, are you fired up?"

To which the crowd of 20,000 chanted, "Ready to go."

Nostalgia was a theme throughout the day for the Obama campaign. Members of the 2008 campaign team joined their former boss on the trail and Obama aides were clad in vintage 2008 clothing. His 2008 campaign Hawkeye State headquarters also served as a backdrop to Monday's rally, in addition to the score of "Forward" signs and oversized American flags.

Michelle Obama, who introduced her husband at the event, recalled the time her family spent in the state four years ago: the house parties, local campaign headquarters, celebrating their daughter Malia's birthday and seeing "my husband's face carved in butter."

"Long before most people even knew his name, you saw what I saw," she said. "Tomorrow we get to finish what we started here."

While the president showed his feelings through a few tears streaming down his face, the first lady also acknowledged it is an "emotional time" for her family.

"This is the final event of my husband's final campaign," she said. "This is the last time he and I will be on stage together at a campaign rally. That is why we wanted to come to Iowa tonight because truly this is where it all began, right here."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • President Obama
  1. truth hurts

yogi
    @Foaming Mad American
    Your madness should be directed to the man who was the cause of the terrible shape this country was in when he left office: W
    Obama 4 more years!
    ============================================================================================
    He was hired four years ago becaus he conned the country into thinkin ghe had the solutions to the problems. Over three years after the recession ended, THINGS ARE WORSE, and he hasn't a clue about how to make them better because that would require him putting the country ahead of his social justice redistributionist ideology. Clinto was able to change directions and succeed. Obama is hell bent on taking us all over the cliff with him.

November 6, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. Name Mystique

I firmly believe that God has a plan for the USA and he has begun using Barack Obama to fulfill that plan and will not quit until his purpose is fulfilled. I also believe part of the plan is yo teach all of America to truly accept and respect each other irrespective of their race, color of their skin, religion or language they speak. It's simple things like these that are keeping the country back.

November 6, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. California Gary

If this country was willing to give George Bush a second term........how can we not give Obama a second term? It just stands to reason that if it took Bush 8 years to screw everything up as badly as he did.......it will take Obama 8 years to fix it.

November 6, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. blessourprez

We love you, Mr. President!
    You brought us back from the brink of disaster.
    We know it has been disheartening for you, for we know what great heart you have.
    Take heart in the light emanating from the faces who look upon you in those rope-lines.
    Be restored by the kind words of encouragement they offer as you touch hands and fist-bump your way through them.
    We who respect and love you see you for the wonderful, deeply committed, caring man you are.
    You have been a splendid president and have accomplished great things in one of the single-most tumultuous times in American history.
    Thank you for devoting yourself to the American people through such difficult times and thank you to your beautiful family.
    No matter what, you've been a resilient, strong and steadfast leader.
    God bless!

November 6, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Critical Thinking

This just in : Romney Won Ohio's Early Vote 697,143-605,546 [Plus 91,597!!!]

It's over : BO WILL GO !

November 6, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  6. Woman In California

I was teary-eyed watching it and had to just listen instead. Didn't sleep well last night, but I'm hoping I will tonight.

Millions of us are praying that people won't let their hatred determine their vote.

Love from California.

November 6, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  7. Woman In California

I voted a straight (D) ticket this a.m., and just the sight of the Ryan/Romney ticket actually made me sick to my stomach.

We are pulling for you here in the office and around California.

November 6, 2012 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. SJones

I am a deep south Masters degree holding black pro athlete and the logically decision is for obama.. I voted for him and it seems like everyone else with sense has too.. Romney tactics on election day is proof enough that it is over with...

November 6, 2012 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. yogi

I find it interesting that the majority of those who post here in favor of Obama are well thought through, caring commentaries, whereas the R&R followers suffice with empty slogans as if they are just copying and pasting what was given to them by the Romney campaign.

The one republican comment that Obama did not accomplish anything while in office must have been on vacation in Switzerland or the Cayman islands, because it is a long list that could have been even longer if the Congress would not have been blocking everything the democrats proposed.

Compassion never has been the strength of the republicans but it is exactly what we need much more of in the country.

Obama 4 more years!

November 6, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama
    LOL!
    I wore my pearls too. Charcoal pinstripe skirt suit, dusty pink blouse and just a spritz of Flower Bomb by Viktor and Rolf!
    -----------–

Oh, my! What a lovely ensemble, to be sure!

Mind you ... the flannel shirt I'm wearing? It WAS purchased in Paris. Rust, with a hint of cream and beige ... Autumn in Minnesota.

November 6, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

truth hurts confabulated

These are capitals gains rates that have always been lower, even when Clinton was president. I though tall you Obama clones were for going back to the tax rates in the 90's?
    ---------------
    No, no, no, no. The capital gains rates under Pres. Clinton were around 36%. The first round of Bush Tax Cuts reduced the rate by 50%.

November 6, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  12. Dejavu65

Funny how anytime a Republican does not agree with Obama, you get this feeling of anger, meanest and bigotry,, not just people disagreeing with Obama's policies!!

November 6, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. Deborah/Maryland

I guess he figured the "vote for revenge" angle didn't or wouldn't work, so he tried the "crocodile tears" angle. Momma always said that desperate people do desperate things. He's desperate and despicable, and a miserable failure. I hope today ends the tyranny of Obama and his socialist agenda.

November 6, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Bingham

If we get Obama just know Obamacare will destroy healthcare. It will cement the legacy of Obama's ineptitude with our decling economy, rising debt, and America's pivot to a European state.

November 6, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Romney is NOT My Hero

@Critical Thinking

It's time : BO WILL GO !
    ----------------------------

What exactly do you have against the President's dog, Bo? BO will stay AND so will our PRESIDENT....

OBAMA 2012!!!!

November 6, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  16. i'm confused

After President Obama wins this election, I just really hope the extremist Congressional republicans who spent the last two years doing everything they could to sabotage this nation's recovery just so they would have something to blame on the President will give up their childish little game since there is no chance of President Obama getting elected to a third term anyway. Hopefully they'll remember they have to live in this country too and just because they're frustrated that a black man got elected President doesn't justify their pathetic attempts at national self destruction....

November 6, 2012 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. Critical Thinking

@ Romney is NOT My Hero
    ----------------------

It does say alot about a man who would name his dog after his own initials. I guess that his only true friend is his dog

November 6, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. yogi

@truth
    I really don't know what your definition of truth is, certainly not the one from the dictionary. We are in a better shape than 4 years ago but you seem to be thinking that such a man made catastrophe can be fixed in less than 4 years.

Romney is the man who is clueless, who has no idea how to fix the economy, and surely his Bain template won't work, it would be even worse for those looking for employment since they have to relocate to China to find work. Remember while he was governor in MA and at the bottom nationwide in job creation? The man is an automaton with no original thinking of himself.

IF Romney would be president we would be going over the cliff, his policies would guarantee that.

November 6, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. Scottish Mama

@I'm confused- I think Obama will not be so nice to the congress and I hope he calls them out and tells the people exactly what they are trying to pull. Boehner better start standing with the prez and grow some against the Tea Party. Norquist pledge needs to go.

November 6, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. cedar rapids

"Over three years after the recession ended, THINGS ARE WORSE"

how are they worse? unemployment shot up to 10% its now down to 7.9%. We were losing 700,000 jobs a month, we are now gaining 125,000 jobs.
    Come one now, you cannot in all honesty say things are worse because we all know they certainly are not. You want to moan they arent as good as you hoped, then thats fine, but dont claim things are not better because they most certainly are.

November 6, 2012 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Woman In California

Love from California
    -------------------------------------------------
    Babe I soooo feel you!! Love from Maryland.

@Lynda/Minnesota

... Autumn in Minnesota.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAchoke!gasp!wipe!

@ Romney is not my hero

OBAMA 2012!!!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Good one babe!! That sums it ALL up doesn"t it!

November 6, 2012 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Scottish Mama

@Critical- I think President Obama has more friends on here than you can count with your fingers and toes.

November 6, 2012 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  23. Malory Archer

Rudy NYC

truth hurts confabulated

-----

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now now, Rudy – you know you have to be careful with the truth since you know the right reacts when confronted with it!

November 6, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. ga.democrat

So many of the comments here are precisely what is wrong with this country. In my lifetime I have never seen a President treated so badly. The majority of the GOP/Teaparty claim to be Christians. The ones I know are always talking about what good Christians they are. They take to social media and tout their Christianity and at the same time hurl the most viscious personal attacks on this President and they send people just like them to Congress. My Congressman is Paul Broun. He says he represents his district based on his Christian values yet he has said some of the most vile things about the President and seems to take great pleasure in doing so and gaining the attention. Mitt Romney also claims to be a man of faith, but has been the most dishonest candidate to ever run for President. I have to wonder if these people worship the same God that I do.

I am very proud to be a supporter of President Obama. He has worked hard to turn the economy around and to keep us safe. He has lead with a level head, a steady hand, and an open heart. He cares about 100% of the people and has restored our standing internationally. He is the better candidate and the man with character and deserves four more years. Good luck to you Mr. President and may God Bless you and your family.

November 6, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. works4me

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

President Obama, I wish you the very best in the next 4 years. You have been a very good inspiration in my life and the lives of my children. Thank you!!

November 6, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |