Romney: I've only written a victory speech
November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Romney: I've only written a victory speech

(CNN) – Hours before the polls closed Tuesday, GOP nominee Mitt Romney told reporters on his plane that he's so confident in a win he's only prepared a victory speech.

"I've only written one speech at this point," Romney said, adding the text of that address was 1,118 words long.

Saying "intellectually" he's felt he was going to win the election for a long time, Romney said his final campaign stops in Ohio and Pittsburgh Tuesday gave him an emotional jolt as well that victory is within his grasp.

As for any campaign regrets, Romney said he had few.

"I'm very proud of the campaign we've run," Romney said, adding that "no campaign is perfect."

"I am very pleased. I feel we have put it all on the field. We left nothing in the locker room," the candidate said.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. truth hurts

Way to go Romney!! Bring home the victory!! Plough right through that empty suited Obama. He has absolutely no plans for the next 4 years, other than more of the same failure, attacks and class warfare. In other words, a DISASTER for this country. Romney/Ryan is the ONLY SANE ALTERNATIVE.

November 6, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. Cheryl

So looking forward to hearing his victory speech. It's been a long time coming. Our country can begin the healing process.

November 6, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  3. jkane sfl a vote for lady parts romney the tax cheat and lyin lady parts ryan willcut your moms medicare and soc sec . .can you afford to pay for them???

Romnytanic going down with all gop hands on the night of Nov 6 ,unless romney the tax cheat voting machine scam works ,they already caught to machines in pa, where the voters chose Obama and it came up romney , and his son is involved in voting machine companies, was on CNN , all hell will break loses ,this has got to stop ,big trouble ahead !!!!!

November 6, 2012 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. jeff odette

Another lie. He's beat and he knows it. Never had a chance to begin with.

November 6, 2012 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Dot

truths hurts Exactly what is Mitt's plan? Oh, I forgot, I should have given you information on who he is speaking to first. My bad.

November 6, 2012 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Debbie Rabjohn

Good luck tonight!! I hope that by the end of the night we will have the pleasure to call you President Romney !!

November 6, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. rb

Romney, grab a pen and a piece of paper and try to compose a bit of a concession speech. Try to still sound "presidential" so you can begin your 2016 primary race next week with a decent head start over Michelle Bachman and Sarah.

November 6, 2012 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  8. Four and The Door

He knows as well as the rest of us that American voters are not going to reelect Obama/ Biden to a second term. I better throw another bottle of champagne in the fridge. My neighbors are going to want to join us in the celebration!

November 6, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. Kathy Mills

Really? I hope Romney does not win and he had better get his pen and paper out for a re-write. Romney will be the worst for America.

November 6, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. R.U. Kidding

Sounds like his typical arrogant sociopathic mindset... in other words BUSINESS as usual.

November 6, 2012 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  11. Mike

November 6, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  12. Jason Bailey

Both candidates did a good campaign. Both had ups and downs, such as Obama's first debate disaster and Romney's 47% comment. However, both of these people are great men and I hope that the best man wins.

God bless America!

November 6, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. GI Joe

Voting Machine problems and long lines because of too few machines in democratic counties, there will be lawsuits out the yeng-yang if Mitt "wins" PA or FL.

Obama/Biden 2012 for sanity in our life. It's not too late to read the White Horse Prophesy, for YOUR sake.

November 6, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. I Voted Early In NC

Romney concession speech: I am sorry Queen Ann you are not getting The White House as a Christmas gift.

November 6, 2012 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. Reality Checker

Way to stay classy and humble Robmey. I bet he will be a sore loser as will the rest of the right-wingnuts, who only want to win at any costs.

November 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. Obama supporter

I hope he does win acting like a fool. This will be truly embarrassing when he loses. Caught with his pants down.

November 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  17. Four Sure

Romney has just announced that he has torn up his victory speech and will now only write a concession speech.

November 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. California Gary

He left it all on the field, that part is true. He left every lie and dirty trick he could think of out there.....nothing left in the bag of dirty tricks and no lie went untold, and no position was not either changed or compromised. He kissed the ring of every Tea Party, right wing zealot out there and convinced the very rich that he would be in their corner every step of the way. Better go ahead and start working on that concession speech though.....because most Americans didn't buy it Mitt. Oh my, what will you tell the Koch brothers? They won't feel like they got their money's worth.

November 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"Well, I hope for his sake he can come up with a concession speech on the spur of the moment."

His "concession speech" will take the form of the GOP filing desperate lawsuits in battleground states.

November 6, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. Cheryl

I couldn't disagree more with the other Cheryl. Must be my evil twin. I wonder if Romney is so sure of winning because he knows the fix is in, with rigged voting machines and voter suppression tricks. Never expect ethics from a business man.

November 6, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  21. Donovan

Hopefully, Romney has exceptional improvisational skills!

November 6, 2012 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  22. Ed

It is a powerful tradition of democracy in our country to have a gracious loser. Apparently Romney hasn't been here very long.

November 6, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  23. SC from Canada

Arrogance

November 6, 2012 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  24. jon

For the last few months I have been reading how the Liberals are so much more educated than the conservatives ... The liberals have also been saying that the Republicans are the wealthy 1% ... This would mean that education does not produce wealth ... if you want to be wealthy, according to the liberals, you need to be an uneducated Republican ... No ... the liberals have got to be wrong again ... just like they are wrong about believing that Obama is going to win tonight.

November 6, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Erika

I hope it wrote it to Sesame Street they are the only people who care.

November 6, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |