Romney: I've only written a victory speech
November 6th, 2012
1 year ago

Romney: I've only written a victory speech

(CNN) – Hours before the polls closed Tuesday, GOP nominee Mitt Romney told reporters on his plane that he's so confident in a win he's only prepared a victory speech.

"I've only written one speech at this point," Romney said, adding the text of that address was 1,118 words long.

Saying "intellectually" he's felt he was going to win the election for a long time, Romney said his final campaign stops in Ohio and Pittsburgh Tuesday gave him an emotional jolt as well that victory is within his grasp.

As for any campaign regrets, Romney said he had few.

"I'm very proud of the campaign we've run," Romney said, adding that "no campaign is perfect."

"I am very pleased. I feel we have put it all on the field. We left nothing in the locker room," the candidate said.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. Jeremy

what exactly are the failed policies of Obama's that people are referring to? Hmmm 30+ months of job growth, stock market is double what it was in jan. 09, taxes are down, two wars ended....somebody please explain this to me....

November 6, 2012 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. RoboCop

Does that mean when he loses, we wont be hearing from him. Ever?

November 6, 2012 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. kate

In response to CBP.....You are very correct!!!!Agree 100%.

November 6, 2012 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  4. helix10461

Well, no that the elections are getting close to over. The real arrogant Romney as we know him Massachusetts will come out. Hope he does not win, if he does it would fooled ya all.

November 6, 2012 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  5. James

Well, that will be awkward for him if he loses. Seems like it would be wise to prepare for both scenarios, especially in such a tight race. I hope Obama wins, but I'm not calling it until it's over.

November 6, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  6. Brendan

My first thought on reading this? Romney's been made promises by ES&S and Diebold... Scary stuff. Witha vote this close, it's ripe for rigging.

November 6, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. Junedragon

He's only written a victory speech?

Then I hope he's good at coming up with speeches on the spot.

November 6, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. helix10461

This is real Mitt. As soon as the election is over he will come out. Hope he does not win. He fooled us all.

November 6, 2012 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. Dnick47

Romney is either very arrogant of know that the GOP has rigged the election. Maybe Chief Justice Roberts is waiting by the phone to throw this election into the Republican camp just like that traitor did in 2000. Oh, Repubs, if you think the deficit is bad now just wait, Mitt will double it in less then six months...

November 6, 2012 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  10. DENNA

I'm sure the Mittens supporters will eat this up. If President Obama said something this stupid, the right would explode with anger.

November 6, 2012 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  11. Jason

Everyone knows Romney hasn't written any speeches. That's his speechwriter's job...

November 6, 2012 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  12. Why Why Why

This guy really just has no plan for anything does he....scary.

November 6, 2012 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. scarf

Even if he wins (which I doubt), he'll find that he can't fire Congressman and hire Chinese and Indians to pass his legislation. He better accept right now that if he moves to the left, the right will abandon him. And if he doesn't move to the left, the left will let him twist in the wind. And he won't find many friends in the middle. His administration will accomplish no more than Obama's.

November 6, 2012 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  14. Michael

The cheating, draft dodging Romney may win but he will never be my president.

November 6, 2012 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  15. jnpa

WOW, how arrogant is that?

November 6, 2012 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. BuilderBob

He wrote one and his advisers wrote the other when Obama is announced the winner.

November 6, 2012 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  17. Dave

That's ok, Mitt. keep it short and sweet, Just say, "I lost, bye/"

November 6, 2012 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  18. bibleverse1

I wish I could unread this story.

November 6, 2012 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. jeff

what scarf said pretty much sums it up

November 6, 2012 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. Xavier

@scarf

Simply not doing the damage Barry did will be a significant improvement.

November 6, 2012 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  21. Kandi

For all that voted for Romney, please don't be surprised when you find out he lied to you all just to get in the White House.

November 6, 2012 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  22. slick1ru2

At least he's consistent. He has to be elected to first before he figures out what he is going to do. He has to be defeated first before he writes a concession speech. I hope to catch it on Fox News, his stammering and hemming and hawing and the look of utter embarrassment of the hosts that their boy, the billionaire puppet.

November 6, 2012 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  23. dike

That's great now we can see the real Romney when he try's to talk without a written speech

November 6, 2012 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  24. slick1ru2

Why do any extra work when you're billionaire backers have bought the election?

November 6, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  25. John

Romney have again demonstrated how big his ego are.

November 6, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |