November 6th, 2012

Ron Paul foresees 2012 outcome

(CNN) - It looks like neither Mitt Romney nor President Barack Obama will land the endorsement of former GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul in this final hour of election 2012.

In an Election Day interview on CNN's "Newsroom," the Texas congressman said he won't back either candidate because he sees little difference between them.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I don't think there's enough difference between the two candidates, and I assume the victor today will be the status quo," Paul said. "We're going to continue with basically the same policies that we've had for a long time, so I don't see the election, as the way its turning out, to be very crucial at all."

Meanwhile, the candidates have argued the importance of the election and sparred in a series of debates. They have also battered one another on the airwaves, where millions of dollars have been poured into advertising in a handful of key swing states.

Paul ended his active campaign efforts in May as his path to the nomination appeared mathematically impossible, though his delegates to state-level political conventions - which decide delegates to the Republican National Convention - continued to push for his long-shot bid.

At the Republican National Convention in Tampa, a video tribute to Paul was played, and the former candidate held a separate rally in the city. "I'm convinced that we're living at the end of an era," Paul said, saying the moment "provides an opportunity."

In his CNN interview, Paul said he is not concerned with the amount of money being spent in politics.

"I think we should be shocked to know that people are willing to put that much money up. Not that they did, but why are they doing it? Why have they been hoodwinked into thinking that there's a real contest going on? That's what the real problem is," he said. "But the fact that people can spend their money and they want to invest in politics, that's fine."

Pressed by CNN's Brooke Baldwin, Paul said, "what's wrong is all this money is [it's] being spent to influence and control and own government, to be used for their benefit."

Paul did not seek re-election to the House this year, in which he has served on and off since 1976.

– CNN Political Producer Martina Stewart contributed to this report

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul
  1. Larry inHouston

@ Truth Hurts – – – – U R giving me a headache !

November 6, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  2. Jared

Unbelievable how many of you are so brainwashed by the liberal media and FOX. Educate yourself on Dr. Paul and you will be suprised

November 6, 2012 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  3. stvartak

I've long supported Ron Paul...I love the guy...but I think he was a coward not to endorse Gary Johnson in this election. Paul's a libertarian. Johnson's a libertarian. If Ron Paul was willing to put his money where his mouth is, he would have endorsed the one candidate who agrees with 99% of his political positions. As it stands, Paul just let his "movement" fizzle out. Very disappointing.

November 6, 2012 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. Jamshed

God bless Ron Paul.

November 6, 2012 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  5. eric

cnn = politics ..... shame on you guys for not giving dr paul his rightfully earned coverage

November 6, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  6. tdb3

This election was a WASTE of $$$.Same garbage and nothing to look forward to but more debt!Ron Paul had it right!

November 6, 2012 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  7. Rob

I wrote in Ron Paul today and found out my dad (on the wrong side of 60) did the same!

November 6, 2012 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  8. kevin moriarty

I voted this morning@6:25 I chose to write in my vote for Ron Paul.why?because being in NY the republican party did not do a good job of informing registered republicans of their primary date.All I spoke to about when the primary was on what date, I got a differrent date each time.Myself I believe that the republican party did this purposely to keep Ron Paul supporters at bay. I did write the RNC+told them how I felt(not that it did any good)The RNC is a DISGRACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  9. chupacabra

Love Ron Paul.............if the gop would have backed him they would be celibrating now instead of crying.

November 6, 2012 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  10. nothing new here

Read 'em and weep, GOP.
    The party should have NEVER have strayed from the old Barry Goldwater standards. The party had a great chance to regain it's glory by nominating Ron Paul. Instead, the GOP nominates a flip-flopping nobody. Dr. Ron Paul has never flip-flopped, or had to backpeddal on any of his positions.
    Silly GOP – ditch the social conservatives and neo-cons, and get back to the basics of what the Party of Lincoln once stood for.

November 7, 2012 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  11. Joe

Proudly wrote in Dr. Ron Paul's name today. A nation that throws Ron Paul away throws away exceptionalism.

November 7, 2012 12:30 am at 12:30 am |