Christie: Romney 'didn't get enough votes'
November 7th, 2012
1 year ago

Christie: Romney 'didn't get enough votes'

(CNN) - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, a strong backer of Mitt Romney's presidential bid who raised eyebrows praising President Barack Obama's disaster response after Superstorm Sandy hit his state, said Wednesday he was "extraordinarily disappointed" by Romney's Tuesday night loss and that he's "not thinking about" his own political future.

At a press conference in Harvey Cedars, the normally-outspoken Christie was blunt on Romney's chief failing: "He didn't get enough votes."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've lost elections," he said. "And I know how it feels and it hurts, and I've never run for president so I can't imagine after putting in the kind of effort that Governor Romney's put in over the years to run for president, how badly it hurts this morning for him to have come up short. So I have great respect for him. I consider him a good, good friend. I hope that he continues to be a voice in public life in our country because I think he's a good and decent man."

Romney conceded his second White House run to Obama early Wednesday morning, saying "this is a time of great challenges for America and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation."

Christie campaigned over a series of months for Romney, who he endorsed while others sifted through the then-crowded GOP field and after insisting he would not seek the presidency himself this cycle. He was thought to be on Romney's vice presidential shortlist and delivered the Republican National Convention keynote address.

But he stirred conversation with his more recent praise for Obama in the wake of Sandy. When the president visited the Garden State to tour the damage, Christie said he "cannot thank the president enough for his personal concern and compassion for our state and the people of our state." Romney praised Christie's handling of the storm and his campaign said the Obama-Christie meeting should not be seen through a political lens.

"I wouldn't call what I did an embrace of Barack Obama," Christie said when asked at the press conference about the moment. "That's become the wording of it but the fact of the matter is, I'm a guy who tells the truth all the time, and if the president of the United States does something good, I'm going to say he did something good and give him credit for it."

The governor said the moment in no way suggested a souring on Romney. "I traveled literally tens of thousands of miles for him, raised tens of millions of dollars for him, and worked harder I think than any other surrogate in America - other than [Wisconsin Republican Rep.] Paul Ryan, who became his running mate," Christie said.

With the 2012 presidential race in the bag, political chatter no doubt will turn to speculation about the 2016 campaign, where Christie's name would appear alongside a number of others. Christie did not deny interest in the position, but said at this point, he is focused on his current job.

"I want to get through this storm today, ok?" he responded to a reporter's question. "Politics becomes a lot smaller when you're dealing with life and death issues, it just does. I can be as consumed as anybody by the day to day back and forth and engage in it, but not when this stuff is going on.

"When this stuff is going on, you have a job to do," he continued. "People have given you a job the most important job in the state in my opinion. That's what I'm focused on, so I'm honored to be the governor of New Jersey. Any other honors that come in my life, if they come in due course, they come in due course, otherwise I'm not worried about it and I guarantee you one thing, I'm not thinking about it today."

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie • Mitt Romney
  1. The Unsub

I would like to thank (four and the door, truth hurts, myviewis, and other haters) If it wasn't for your daily vitriolic posts, PRESIDENT OBAMA would not have been re-elected! I hope that this is the END of the Republican Party as WE know it!

November 7, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Ed T Duck

'Didn't get enough votes'. Wow, a real intellectual here.

November 7, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. just sayin

your bear hug of obama helped him. you should have sent him to nyc for his photos ops. obama will now abandon nj. you're an idiot.

November 7, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. myviewis

I'm sure people will begin to agree with Christie that Romney didn't get enough votes when the Fiscal Cliff hits, more unemployment hits, the stock market crashing and everything is still the same that it was before Obama was re-elected and Obama will have more excuses but unemployment is still hitting everywhere.

November 7, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. GOPisGreedOverPeople

Actually he got Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than he should have.

November 7, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. anonoymous

I have a feeling Gov Christie wont be invited to any gop functions anytime soon....Dont worry about it gov you just might be the candidate the gop needs to run in 2016...

November 7, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  7. Data Driven

"he didn't get enough votes"

Lol! Christie is a funny guy.

November 7, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  8. Woman In California

IF you don't run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee and we'll lose.

Ann Coulter – Mar. 3, 2011.

November 7, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. Sniffit

"if the president of the United States does something good, I'm going to say he did something good and give him credit for it."

He's done this kind of thing a few times so far. I disagree with his politics. I disagree with much of what he's done in NJ in terms of his agenda and policies. BUT, he's had moments in which he has stood up for the right things, like when he appointed a Muslim judge and told the crowd of MSM jackholes asking him abotu concerns regarding Sharia law that they were all, well, exactly the jackholes they were proving themselves to be. He seems to recognize that it's not just the country that's in need of stepping away from a cliff, but also his party. I expect he may continue to present a public image of doing so, and no, I don't believe for a second that it's not calculated and that he's "not thinking about it today." He'll be running for POTUS in 2016 or 2020...bet on it....and, if he's as smart as I think he is, he's going to make the argument that he was a forerunner of the "evolved GOP." It may or may not present a compelling argument though, because its credibility will largely depend on the behavior of the GOPers on the House and Senate the next 4 years, and they are already starting to indicate the intention of doubling down on the obstruction and cynical political strategies of the last 4 years.

November 7, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. ariadeer

Thanks, Christie. We conservatives appreciate your backstabbing kissy-face with Obama. Why don't you change parties, please, they want you anyway.

November 7, 2012 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. nothing new here

Hey, GOP, you all had a great candidate in Ron Paul.
    Enough said.

November 7, 2012 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. Critical Thinking

Me doth think he protest too much. Christie has his eye on the office of President. Knowing that a Romney win would only postpone that ambitious goal till 2020, he made a calculated decision to surgically harm the Romney campaign under the good old standard; I'm just telling the truth. Please, Christie is as savy politician as they come. All he needed to do was say that the Federal Govt was doing a fine and supportive job and not spew the acalades of praise directly to Obama. He knew exactly what he was doing and he knows exactly why he did it. I guess there is no I in team but many i's in politician.

November 7, 2012 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. Tod Blatherton

I like it - unpoliticized, sincere appreciation for fellow humans, who are fellow collaborators (vs. "enemies)! Now if only this mindset could be found in the house.

November 7, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. Gambi

Govenor Christy thank you for your honesty and integrety you're the kind of guy and independent voter like myself appreciates and takes notice of. You are not afraid to do the right thing even if your party may be critical, how refreshing. Other politicians take note he knows how to "cross the aisle" for the good of the people he represents it takes guts in this political climate and should not go unrewarded.
    All the best to you and those in New Jersey we are praying for the best possible recovery and eager to help those in need.

November 7, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. Karina

He is right , the results are in.
    Although Romney would have been the better choice to get the country back on track but all these dumb statements and beliefs by some of the extreme right wing were his undoing.
    Romney fought a great campaign against Obama but the biggest hurdle were the liberal media and press.
    Good luck America !!!!!!

November 7, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  16. Tonya

Simply awesome! Thank you Christie!

November 7, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  17. Russell Schokman

Mr. Christie is an honest man. As he says when some one does a great job -commend him for it. It took a lot of guts to say that of Mr. Obama since Mr. Christie was of the opposing Party, As an independent Voter who finally voted for Mr. Obama i would not have any qualms at voting for People of . Mr. Christie's calibre if he chose to run for President in four years.. My hat's off to Mr.Christie and good luck to him.

November 7, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. GOP = Greed Over People!

Let the GOP continue to believe that a storm stopped Robme's ."momentum" and ignore the fact he was running ads in the last weekend LYING about Jeep sending jobs to China.

Ignore the fact that the head of two car companies called Team Robme out for these lies, a first in campaign history.

But just keep saying it was the storm or the thanks provided by Christie to President O.

It will make the 2014 and 2016 elections cycle so much easier.

November 7, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. incredulous

I disagree with Christie on a lot of things but will forever remember him doing the right thing when it came to thanking the President for his help.

November 7, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. blue19

Wow for a rethuglican, his understanding of basic math is astounding. Romney didn't get enough votes to win, what a genious

November 7, 2012 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  21. nancy lester

hi we in tx. are soo glad obama gets to stay up to the w.h. we are also very tired. we never thought mitt was ever came out to give it up. god bless mitt and karl rove . it shows you money can't buy everyone vote. i now hope mitt takes his family and off the stage. we don't have to tend to his remarks of the 47 percent people which he meant us. as we are on s.s. and doing good like everyone eles. god bless us all. thanks red white and blue in tx.

November 7, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. Florida Mom

Gov. Christie you can be a very truthful guy when it is convenient for you.. The President answered your phone calls and signed a few papers to get FEMA into NJ... May I ask you how is that working out for you?
    I believe you still have no power to over 1 million people, shelter, food are not getting to the people that need it. Electrical crews from out of state are being turned around by your unions so they can not help with getting back the power. There are many things still not done and yet you embraced the administration for all its work.
    You embracing the Pres. did not cost the election to Gov. Romney you don't have that much power in the party,it just shows the people who you really have become.

November 7, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. McShannon

I personally have previously written in a manner that expressed my view that Governor Romney did not and could not relate to anyone making less than an obscene profit. He has lost the election and all the kings, money, “horses” and all the kings’ men can’t change the outcome. I don’t think that this has to be the end for Governor Romney. He is an influential person and still could help get this country get back on track if he is capable of some humility and would disconnect himself from the extreme evangelical right. We need leaders that can work together for a common goal that can cross party lines and realize that we are all races, cultures and lifestyles with inalienable rights and that every citizen should have an opportunity to explore and develop their dreams

November 7, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. Mike

Christie was blunt on Romney's chief failing: "He didn't get enough votes." Brilliant! Just like a team that doesn't score the most points loses! Wow, somebody write that one down.

November 7, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. Laverne

"Romney did'nt get enough votes" This guy is brilliant, he figured out what the rest of the republicans don't seem to get!

November 7, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |