Exit polls: Obamacare remains a hot-button issue
November 7th, 2012

Exit polls: Obamacare remains a hot-button issue

(CNN) - President Obama's health care reform law - Obamacare - continues to be very controversial, exit polls indicated Tuesday.

In Florida, the exit polls showed 49% of voters say the 2010 law should be repealed completely or in part. Forty-three percent said it should be expanded or kept as is. Florida voters also had the opportunity to vote on amending the state constitution to prohibit individuals and businesses from being compelled to participate in any health care system. Exit polls show that vote is very close.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Exit polls in Ohio, show 52% said they think the president's health care reform law should be repealed completely or in part while 42% said it should be expanded or left as is.

There's a similar split in other swing states.

Iowa: 53% for change or repeal and 38% for leaving it or expanding it.

New Hampshire: 50% for change or repeal and 47% for leaving it.

Colorado: 55%-37% for repeal.

Even in the president's home state of Illinois, 49% said they want Obamacare changed or repealed while 47% want it expanded or left as is.

However, a majority of voters in some of the country's most-populous states said they are in favor of keeping the health care reform law as it is or expanding it rather than repealing or changing it.

Those states are California (50%-42% split in favor of expansion), New Jersey (58%-36%), New York (53%-45%), Pennsylvania (51%-46%) and Wisconsin (49%-46%).

Filed under: 2012
  1. Thomas

It's a start , it can be modified and made even better .

Hey truth hurts and Friends .

Please work with our president , we need to work together .

All the best to you GOP guys and gals.

See you in three years , till then remember , TRUTH DOSNT HAVE TO HURT !

God Bless America , All of us !

November 7, 2012 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  2. nothing new here

Look, I am not a fan of Nanny government either -
    But Republicans have done very little to limit government overreach, except to give "lip service" at best.
    If Republicans were serious about limiting government spending, they would have nominated Ron Paul.

November 7, 2012 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  3. Name maidukiya

congratultions barrack.

November 7, 2012 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  4. cindy

Sorry, CNN, that debate is over. By the time 2016 rolls around ObamaCare will be 2 years entrenched and you won't be able to pry it away with a crowbar. It's a done deal. Let history show that Democrats got healthcare done (ish).

November 7, 2012 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  5. NameAnnMarie

Why is it not "nanny" government in every other developed country to provide health care for their citizens? Health care costs will bankrupt families if left unchecked and ultimately the government pays one way or the other as Mr Romney well knows from his research during his term as governor. Those who are yelling the most against health care reform are those who have had veey little interaction with devastating illness. Consider yourselves fortunate, do the research and look ahead.

November 7, 2012 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  6. john maundu

let americans work wth obama.and move forward.am a kenyan

November 7, 2012 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  7. lerianis

No, the AHCA is NOT a big deal. The Republicans try to keep making it a big deal, saying that health care prices are "Going up because of "Obamacare" but it is NOT!

It has been going up every single year for the past 30 years, even taking into account inflation. Why? Greedy insurance companies, who are nothing more than middle-men adding to the costs of health insurance in this country.

November 7, 2012 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  8. jdoe

Obamacare is NOT government run health care. The health insurers and health care providers are all private. The biggest change is that people who can afford to buy their own insurance must do so, instead of shifting the cost to others. This is a conservative idea. The other big change is to set up private insurance exchanges to allow people to buy insurance outside of work at group rates. This means more choice, and more competition. Currently most people have to take whatever their employer decides for them, if they offer it at all. Employer-dependent health care is not a real choice.

November 7, 2012 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  9. Dan, TX

I am happy Obama won. Now let's cut spending and raise taxes. Everyone has suffered because of the recession, but we will continue to suffer willingly if it reduces the debt and deficit.

November 7, 2012 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  10. SHANNAN BLYSTONE

Thank God and everyone who voted for the President. My 21 yr old daughter, Samantha is on her dad's medical insurance and she's pregnant. The company she works for.only offers benefits to full-time employees. She works usually 38 hours a.week. They keep her from getting insurance. It is a big relief that she can be on her dad's insurance until she becomes a full-time employee at her work. Thank you!!!!

November 7, 2012 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  11. Scotchguard

After four years of Obamacare, I'd bet even those who claim to hate it now will not want to give it up.

November 7, 2012 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  12. annieL

Thank God and the Democrats for Obamacare. And thank my fellow Americans for re-electing the man who cared enough and fought for it. Now my diabetic son can keep his Obamacare and live! It's a good day. More to come!

November 7, 2012 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  13. don

We have a hundred internal and external HOT topics at once, and ObamaCare has to wait in line. LOL.

November 7, 2012 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  14. Concerned

Unless you have had to buy independent health insurance, you really cannot say much about Obamacare. I am self employed and boy were my eyes opened with I tried to buy insurance for my family. The insurance companies basically screw you and God forbid if you get sick... they would drop you in a second. All of this and my family is healthy. Something had to give and Obamacare may not be 'great' but it is sure better than what we had and its sure better than the 'do nothing' stance of the GOP. I also agree that everyone should have insurance. We require folks to buy car insurance, why not health insurance. Not having insurance is irresponsible to your family and the others who will have to pay for your health problems.

November 7, 2012 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  15. John in Korea

Time for a National sales Tax or VAT tax as well as cutting size and scope of government and instituting flat income tax. A National Sales tax will be FAIR for EVERYONE since everyone pays. Wealthier people buy more so they will pay more.

November 7, 2012 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  16. John in Korea

Time for a National Sales tax, a flat tax on Income and reduce the size and scope of government spending. A national sales tax is fair for everyone.

November 7, 2012 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  17. fernace

The ACA is an idea whose time is long past due! If we are to make our lives & country better & compete in the world arena, then we must have access to education & healthcare & equal pay! These are necessities, not luxuries! Our system is only as good as its people & if we are deprived, the system is, too! How long have we wanted & needed healthcare reform? Now we finally have it & people are still clinging to the T-Party hype that it's "bad" for us! Please educate yourselves! There's always room for improvement, but No Repeal, Block/Ban or Cutting it to Pieces! Hurrah, Obama 4 More!!

November 7, 2012 03:19 am at 3:19 am |
  18. John Williams

My wife and I are unemployed. Health insurance for the two of would be $800 a month. We have savings but that would evaporate quickly. I resent subsidizing overmedicated intentionally sick fat out of shape people. I do not use prescription medications and wellness care is an overpriced scam. My wellness care of taking care of myself is cheap and works better. Now I am legally required to subsidize all the obese Americans under threat of government confiscation of my assets. Health benefits -it's not insurance- is a terrible bargain- and should be for unforseeable events, not self induced illness. I deeply resent Obama and his unbelievable new tax.

November 7, 2012 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  19. Chris

I love how this article is written. I'm being sarcastic. It implies that the remainder who aren't against it still take issue with it ... but if you read carefully, what those people could also be saying is 'leave Obamacare as it is'. Flat out, the only people I know who take issue with his healthcare bill are those who: are not sick; don't have anyone in their family who is sick; don't think they'll ever GET truly ill; or who can somehow afford their own excellent healthcare in this economy. We have to try people. If at first you don't succeed... but without trying there is no chance of success.

November 7, 2012 04:05 am at 4:05 am |
  20. mike

As a business owner and I know who won the election I now know what i have too do. I have 100 employees and will be laying off 51 of them by the end of the month too get too 49 so my business will not be paying for employee healthcare. And for the 49 they will never be workin full-time again just part-time 30 hrs too make sure I dont pay for the healthcare for employees. A business has got too do what it needs too do.

November 7, 2012 04:50 am at 4:50 am |
  21. mike

America will reap what it has sown with Obama. As a business owner i will last as long as i can then if it gets too bad i will move my company too Mexico. I wont have too worry about healthcare and the pesky union down there. So, you keep moving "Forward" America.

November 7, 2012 05:00 am at 5:00 am |