November 7th, 2012

Transcript: Romney's concession speech

(CNN) – Mitt Romney delivered his concession speech Tuesday in Boston. Read below for a transcript of Romney's remarks.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, my friends. Thank you so very much.

(APPLAUSE)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I have just called President Obama to congratulate him on his victory. His supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations.

His supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the president, the first lady and their daughters.

(APPLAUSE)

This is a time of great challenges for America, and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation.

(APPLAUSE)

I want to thank Paul Ryan for all that he has done for our campaign.

(APPLAUSE)

And for our country. Besides my wife, Ann, Paul is the best choice I've ever made.

(APPLAUSE)

And I trust that his intellect and his hard work and his commitment to principle will continue to contribute to the good of our nation.

(APPLAUSE)

I also want to thank Ann, the love of my life.

(APPLAUSE)

She would have been a wonderful first lady. She's - she has been that and more to me and to our family and to the many people that she has touched with her compassion and her care.

I thank my sons for their tireless work on behalf of the campaign, and thank their wives and children for taking up the slack as their husbands and dads have spent so many weeks away from home.

(APPLAUSE)

I want to thank Matt Rhoades and the dedicated campaign team he led.

(APPLAUSE)

They have made an extraordinary effort not just for me, but also for the country that we love.

And to you here tonight, and to the team across the country - the volunteers, the fundraisers, the donors, the surrogates - I don't believe that there's ever been an effort in our party that can compare with what you have done over these past years. Thank you so very much.

Thanks for all the hours of work, for the calls, for the speeches and appearances, for the resources and for the prayers. You gave deeply from yourselves and performed magnificently. And you inspired us and you humbled us. You've been the very best we could have imagined.

The nation, as you know, is at a critical point. At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering and political posturing. Our leaders have to reach across the aisle to do the people's work.

And we citizens also have to rise to the occasion. We look to our teachers and professors, we count on you not just to teach, but to inspire our children with a passion for learning and discovery.

We look to our pastors and priests and rabbis and counselors of all kinds to testify of the enduring principles upon which our society is built: honesty, charity, integrity and family.

We look to our parents, for in the final analysis everything depends on the success of our homes.

We look to job creators of all kinds. We're counting on you to invest, to hire, to step forward.

And we look to Democrats and Republicans in government at all levels to put the people before the politics.

I believe in America. I believe in the people of America.

(APPLAUSE)

And I ran for office because I'm concerned about America. This election is over, but our principles endure. I believe that the principles upon which this nation was founded are the only sure guide to a resurgent economy and to renewed greatness.

Like so many of you, Paul and I have left everything on the field. We have given our all to this campaign.

(APPLAUSE)

I so wish - I so wish that I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead the country in a different direction, but the nation chose another leader. And so Ann and I join with you to earnestly pray for him and for this great nation.

Thank you, and God bless America. You guys are the best. Thank you so much. Thank you. Thanks, guys.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. ST

Though am a Dem, am shedding tears hearing Romney conceding. We are all human being and we all feel pains. GOP has to reform. You have gone so far. Get rid of Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and listen to Ann Coulter, she is the smart lady. She told you so right from the beginning: If you nominate Mitt Romney and not Christ Christie we are going to lose. She was right then, and she is right now.

November 7, 2012 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  2. Thomas

Very Honorable .

Humility has a lesson for us all .

All the best to Mr. Romney .

November 7, 2012 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  3. Obviously.

I seriously don't understand the Republicans though. Me and most of my friends are moderates and we went with Bush the first time, but this time went with Obama because Romney went way too far to the right during the Republican Primary. So why are they still trying to explain that Romney lost because he wasn't conservative enough? He was too conservative trying to appeal to the vocal party fringes.

November 7, 2012 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  4. Anonymous

i guess he prepares a pretty good speech last minute

November 7, 2012 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  5. Joan

Governor Romney has class to the very end. I wish that I could be calling him President Romney.

November 7, 2012 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  6. Name Alex Ntiamoah-Boakye

A nation built under God, a nation with people who put self interest last and nation's interest first.

God bless America!

November 7, 2012 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  7. Gabby

Gallantly....nice of you. Try next time.

November 7, 2012 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  8. Mandor

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    –Theodore Roosevelt

Give Mitt this much. In this election cycle at least, he was in the arena. I'm glad Obama won. But Mitt's earned a fair amount of respect.

November 7, 2012 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  9. Ib

Awesome speech!

November 7, 2012 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  10. Turner

Even though Romney failed to challenge Obama, I respect his concession style. Actually, I respect all these concession styles from Americans who used to ran for Presidency. Congratulations to Obama, he wins, best wishes for him. I wish so bad that Chinese people could have such a chance to elect our own President. God bless to human kinds, God bless China, God bless United States of America.

November 7, 2012 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  11. Name

I live in Botswana and I have been watching US election with keen interest. I think we in Botswana can learn a lot in the where there conducted. I would like to congradulate the president on his re-election and wish him,his wife and daughters and the people of America well.

November 7, 2012 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  12. Ogbu P. Uzochukwu

This is God's own country indeed. When will this type of thing happen in my country Nigeria, for election to be free and fair and opposition candidate congratulating the winner?

November 7, 2012 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  13. NameCarol

It is sad to think the US has missed being lead by a truly successful leader. Mitt Romney is a man of distiinction, class and brains. It is too bad for us all that such a great man will not have the opportunity to lead us. Instead the mud slinging, and divided country remains.

November 7, 2012 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  14. Patrick

This is the beauty of democracy. This is what the third world and particularly Nigeria my country should learn from. Concede defeat when it matters. God bless America.

November 7, 2012 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  15. freedom

A great man with a pure heart – huge loss for America tonight.

November 7, 2012 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  16. name

Mitt's earned nothing from me. Try having a fiscal plan that makes any sense, and stop talking about your sky fairy friend.

November 7, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  17. name

Also, when a party starts doubling-down and standing behind all these creepy old guys who talk about how God feels (happy!) about r- a- pe?

Time to get a new party.

November 7, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  18. kad

Romney didn't lose tonight.....America did.

November 7, 2012 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  19. DaFashionFreak

Amazing...! Mitt Romney has a very good heart! Though you didn't emerge as the President, but I congratulate you. God bless you, God bless America!!!

November 7, 2012 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  20. Udo

Whoever you are, demokrat or republican they all want the very best for the nation and its people. I am glad that Obama won but I am sad to see Romney lose as he is a good guy and only hoped to help the country move in the direction that would be most beneficial. It was a good speech and it shows that no matter where you stand, at the end you are all American and are just doing your very best. And that is beautiful.

November 7, 2012 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  21. LD

This speech was not very humble in my opinion.

November 7, 2012 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  22. Martin

Come back when you can release your tax returns.

November 7, 2012 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  23. Indra Wadhwani

I am thrilled that Obama won the re-election and will be President for another 4 years at least. I am sure he will lead the USA in the right path.

November 7, 2012 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  24. Evergreen

Now it is time for thr President, House, and Senate to work together and get America growing.

November 7, 2012 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  25. Name Adeniyi

Am impressed with the humble speech. God bless America; God bless Nigeria.

November 7, 2012 02:38 am at 2:38 am |