November 7th, 2012
1 year ago

VIDEO: Baldwin: 'I didn't run to make history'

(CNN) – Rep. Tammy Baldwin, who won the open U.S. Senate seat in Wisconsin, will become the first openly gay member of the upper chamber. Asked Wednesday by CNN's Soledad O'Brien if she plans to pursue an agenda fighting for lesbian and gay causes, Baldwin said she hopes to see "change that will move us forward," but added the issue did not define her campaign.

"If you're not in the room the conversation is about you; if you're in the room the conversation is with you–and that does transform things. But as I said last night, I didn't run to make history. I ran to make a difference," Baldwin said, adding that her campaign focus was on the middle class, security benefits for seniors, and veterans issues.

Baldwin defeated former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson in a closely-watched race to fill the seat being vacated by retiring Sen. Herb Kohl, a Democrat.

Filed under: 2012 • Wisconsin
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Tammy, you may have not ran to make history, but guess what......YOU DID!!!

November 7, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Woman In California

I'm so proud of you Ms. Baldwin and I thank you for your service to this country. I also know you'll be a great asset.

The country made the right choice last night and we are better for it TODAY.

November 7, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

No one should run because they think that they will advance one specific cause. It should be because they should be able to help their fellow citizen and make the country better.

November 7, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. Data Driven

She's right, she didn't run as the first lesbian senator, she ran as an excellent alternative to the guy who worked for Bush.

Btw, have they freed Bush from his undisclosed location in the Caymans yet? Bwa!

November 7, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Sue

We need more gay members in Congress.

November 7, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. gr8 usa

You can make history and make a difference, and for that we are all so proud of the decision Wisconsin made yesterday!

November 7, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  7. Pam of Long Beach, CA

Congrats Tammy! We are so proud and happy that such a smart and good woman has won! Republicans seem to think that womens' bodies should be subject to their control. Smart women like you are a victory for all us women in every state. Thank you for running and thank God you won!!!

November 7, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Wilson

The moral decline continues.

November 7, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. Jane from Wisconsin

Will you now fight for my right to marry three men? I'm too much woman for just one man and I have three that want me and will share. Why am I being denied my happiness?

November 7, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |