Buffett hopes for a Clinton White House in 2016
November 14th, 2012
1 year ago

Buffett hopes for a Clinton White House in 2016

(CNN) – Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said he hopes Hillary Clinton will become the first female president of the United States in 2016.

"I don't see how you could have anybody better qualified," Buffett told CNN's Poppy Harlow in an exclusive interview Wednesday about the current Secretary of State and 2008 White House hopeful.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I like what she believes in," said Buffett. "I think she's extraordinarily able and energetic for that matter in pushing those beliefs."

Buffett not worried about fiscal cliff

Buffett, a Democrat and the namesake for the bill known as the "Buffett Rule" that would require people earning $1 million a year or more to pay at least 30% in taxes, supported both President Barack Obama and Clinton as presidential candidates in four years ago. He held fund-raisers and donated money to each of the candidates' campaigns.

The bill, which failed to pass the Senate in April, was intended to prevent the wealthy from paying a lower actual tax rate than most middle class workers, a proposal Buffett, Obama and a number of Democrats have endorsed.

Clinton is finishing her term in the Obama administration and has said she will not run for the president in the next election insisting she is finished with politics for good.

–CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Warren Buffett
  1. The Common Man

If you think Hillary should be back in the white house, read George Stephanopoulos' book "All Too Human: A Political Education". You'll hear first hand how Bill Clinton and his staff determined in his second term that they needed to wall Hillary out of the administration's activities.

November 15, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. objectivist5

Dear Madam Secretary, with all due respect to you and your political career, please do not run for the Presidency. Although I personally feel you are more then qualified, I also feel that with the current state of the US political system in this country no intelligent or articulate individual can deal with the madness occurring in Washington. Go home, enjoy your family and reflect on a great political career.

November 15, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. Mike

I pretty confident that it doesn't matter who represents the Democratic Party in 2016, they'll win that election anyway. If we have learned anything in the days following an election that saw the Dems get 126 more electoral vots then the GOP, it is that the Republican party is clueless as to why they lost and/or not willing to change course. Either way, it makes for a dismal future for their party.

November 15, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  4. beauville

Could we please get past the Clinton's. Enough already!

November 15, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  5. DC Observer

Obama is going to take our debt to $20 trillion before he is done - Clinton would take it to $30 million at which point we can all move to Greece becasue they will be a lot stronger than us

Dems still do not get it -- the fiscal cliff everyone is watching – heck, Obama took us over that 3 years ago and we are in free fall

November 15, 2012 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. Gregory Hall

Met her once. Incredibly smart and funny. Nice enough to stop and take a picture with me and my son.

November 15, 2012 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. Will

USSS and DSS agents are rejoicing she doesn't run.

November 15, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  8. just sayin

very impressive. the biggest tax cheat and tax dodger in america supports hillary clinton.

November 15, 2012 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Get Real

Did I miss something, didn't we just have a Presidential Election last week, are we going into hiding for the next 4 years? This sounds like a no confidence agenda for the next 4 years.

November 15, 2012 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  10. Jess

I'll consider her but not before she explains why the security requests for our Libyan diplomats and people were turned down and why she didn't make sure help was sent to them while they were being attacked.

November 15, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  11. James Petrosino

I dont think theres any question that Hillary would win the house if she ran in 2016. I'm a republican but I don't know who we would match up against her. I've heard Marco Rubio's name being thrown out already. Four years is a long time from now, let's see from now and then what she wants to do. If her heart isn't in it, then she shouldn't run.

November 15, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  12. 2km N of GZero

Smart and capable. Run Hilary Run!

November 15, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. Lana

Hillary is the most qualified candidate for the 2016 presidential election. She's intelligent, well educated, has political experience and stamina. The bonus is America would get two for the price of one. It couldn't get any better than that. Who better than Hillary Clinton to be elected as the first lady president of the U.S.A? She'll need many financial supporters like Warren Buffet for this to hapen.... Unfortuantely, it takes money to be elected . My votes for Hillary.

November 15, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Wilson

Buffet wants it? Perfect argument against it.

November 15, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. Anne

I was very supportive of Hillary in 2008, but I dislike that Bill openly helped Obama's re-election after all Obama did in 2008, and that Hillary covered up the Benghazi story to help the president. I appreciate her very much, but I am starting to question her honesty, judgement and good intentions.

November 15, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Robyn

>> DC Observer

>> Obama is going to take our debt to $20 trillion before he is done –
    >> Clinton would take it to $30 million at which point we can all move
    >> to Greece becasue they will be a lot stronger than us.

30 Million Dollar Debt ??? COOL ! ! !

That means Hillary is going to reduce the debt by 99.99985 %
    She's got My Vote. Whoa Nellie, Happy Days Really Are Here Again!

November 15, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. David

Hillary Clinton is a great choice. However, seeing the current Administration, I would want to hear about how she would reach across the aisle. After 4 years of keeping his positions, Obama has continued to not work with the Republicans. We need a President who will bring together the country. In my opinion, it might be Hillary Clinton. However, she has to discuss how she would create a bipartisan agenda, rather than our country being stuck in the partisan track.

I wish she had challenged Obama in the primaries. She would make a President who would likely bring together everyone. Seeing Bill Clinton's example, I hope that someone (whether Republican or Democrat) could run the country with a heart of working with everyone.

November 15, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Ratified1791

I know of four (4) Americans, who lived in Benghazi, who will not be voting for Hillary Clinton ...ever!

November 15, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  19. TheTruth

The woman who ordered that security in Benghazi be kept artificially low; who, when told of the crisis went back to her party and then to bed; who lied about everything and couldn't even get an American team into the compound afterward is qualified to be President of the United States? Brilliant businessman, idiot when it comes to people.

November 15, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  20. TouringCapital

I went on a tour of the Capital when I was in DC for a conference. I was talking to the intern who was giving us a tour and we walked by Hillary's office. I said, "Do you often see Hillary?" He said, "No, Never." I asked, "How is she thought of around her." He said, "Let's just say that when you screw up in the Secret Service, they assign you the Hillary Clinton detail." Nuff Said.

November 15, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |