Buffett hopes for a Clinton White House in 2016
November 14th, 2012
1 year ago

Buffett hopes for a Clinton White House in 2016

(CNN) – Billionaire investor Warren Buffett said he hopes Hillary Clinton will become the first female president of the United States in 2016.

"I don't see how you could have anybody better qualified," Buffett told CNN's Poppy Harlow in an exclusive interview Wednesday about the current Secretary of State and 2008 White House hopeful.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I like what she believes in," said Buffett. "I think she's extraordinarily able and energetic for that matter in pushing those beliefs."

Buffett not worried about fiscal cliff

Buffett, a Democrat and the namesake for the bill known as the "Buffett Rule" that would require people earning $1 million a year or more to pay at least 30% in taxes, supported both President Barack Obama and Clinton as presidential candidates in four years ago. He held fund-raisers and donated money to each of the candidates' campaigns.

The bill, which failed to pass the Senate in April, was intended to prevent the wealthy from paying a lower actual tax rate than most middle class workers, a proposal Buffett, Obama and a number of Democrats have endorsed.

Clinton is finishing her term in the Obama administration and has said she will not run for the president in the next election insisting she is finished with politics for good.

–CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Warren Buffett
  1. Derekame

I sincerely hope Hillary steps into the race in 2016. Republican ideology is currently so racial, religious, and anti-gay now that makes them impossible to support even though I basically support their economic platform of less government. I just wish they would express the ideal of less government on people's individual lives the same way they do on de-regulation of business.

November 15, 2012 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  2. Harry

It seems to me that Hillary made it clear sometime back that her present office (Secretary of State) would be it for her and politics. Judging from the rapid aging that this position has done to her, I do believe that nothhin more strenuous than speaking engagements will probably be it for the old gal. (Unless she's going to go back to being a divorce lawyer).

November 15, 2012 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  3. jefflazrn

She has my vote.

November 15, 2012 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  4. Hilary 2016!

I agree! Hilary would make a great President.

November 15, 2012 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  5. Henry

President Obama should nominate Hilary Clinton as the first the first female Secretary of Defense. This would seal the deal on her qualifications for the Oval Office. In addition, the next Supreme Court nominations should be women (by the way, I am male and retired military). In short, President should continue his track record of making the government reflect the population.

November 15, 2012 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  6. Synthetically Thought...

@On the West Coast: Which is precisely why he introduced the "Buffet Rule". Instead of blindly responding out of ignorance, do your homework on where he stands with this.

November 15, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  7. Thomas A Martinet

Hillary & Michele in 2016! Go Democrats!!!

November 15, 2012 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  8. Josaphat Daniels

In 2016 it will be Democrat Hillary Clinton vs Republican Jeb Bush. I wonder who will win the white house.

November 15, 2012 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  9. Yes we can

If Hillary decides to run, she will SMASH the glass ceiling and become the 1st female POTUS in US history.

Hillary 2016
    Hillary 2020

November 15, 2012 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  10. Susan b

As long as she is in good health she will be superb as the next president. Finishing the work Psident Obama is doing. And an added bonus would be she could appoint Obama to the Supreme Court. And the greates karmic justice of all would be Obama replacing scalia or thomas....or better...roberts.

November 15, 2012 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  11. Susan b

Buffet is what they call a class traitor. He is sensible and doesnt think that he is somehow smarter than everyone else because he happens to be good at capital, management. He has said if he were born in a different place and time he would be in big trouble. He also still lives in the modest home he bought before he was really rich....same home since 1960s. In all, he is a al role model. Not like the kochs, adleson, trump...

November 15, 2012 05:46 am at 5:46 am |
  12. CB

I was for Hillary before she became the best Secretary of State of our times.

November 15, 2012 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  13. 1Supporter

I totally agree that Hillary Clinton has what it takes to be President. She would have my vote hands down!!

November 15, 2012 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  14. MarieMD

@sambark, women were NOT against Hillary in 2008. The President got more votes and she,unlike your rethug sour grape party of old men, held her head high and continued to work for the country NOT against it.
    Right now, with the twit and the lyan altar boy and mcnasty and that little girl lindsay and toothman cantor still not taking blame for the failure of their party thanks for the tea baggers, Mickey Mouse could run against anyone in your party and win in a landslide.
    The rethugs learned absolutely nothing about Americans with this smack down of your bully bishop.

November 15, 2012 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  15. gypsyalso

gee, can we have a couple weeks with NO POLITICS! give us a break.

November 15, 2012 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  16. vonn

She has my vote..

November 15, 2012 06:52 am at 6:52 am |
  17. Colleen Kelly MJellor

In response to "sambark,"I, too, am struck by how women didn't make it (Clinton's election) happen, about how they deserted her. It would appear women (who actually outnumber men in the electorate) prefer to put in anyone else, as they find such fault with their own. If Clinton deesn't wish to rev up her war machine again and enter the bitter feuding it takes to seat someone in the White House, who can blame her? It seems any buffoon among men stands a better chance at capturing the support it takes. Men do historically support their own (Romney) while women bicker among themselves over whether an aptly-qualified woman should be running at all, and they end up spurning the candidate on the most frivolous grounds "(Is Bill running her campaign?") Yes, I supported Hillary–all the way through. I think she's hands-down the most able person for this job, among MEN and WOMEN...But sadly, in America, that particular trait doesn't always matter.

November 15, 2012 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  18. sifto

so, the worm turns again? what happened to the clinton's being labeled "racist" by the democrats supporting obama?

November 15, 2012 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  19. Sebastian2

I think she'd do a hell of a good job, too. She's tougher than nails on defense.
    If she runs? She has my vote... ;-)

November 15, 2012 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  20. AmericanPeasant

I would not vote Hillary for president because of her domestic policy ideas, namely the Mandate. HOWEVER, Hillary has to be one of the toughest Secretary of State that I have ever seen. On the foreign policy realm Hillary keeps these other nations in line! I wish Hillary would stay on as Secretary of State. Heck I would even go as far as to say she should keep that office for life and with a certain degree of autonomy. Come on Hillary, don't abandon the ship! We're in for a rough next four years on the foreign policy stage and we really need you to do what you do best for the sake of America.

November 15, 2012 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  21. turtle

so right Mr. Buffet. Just talking about this in History class.

November 15, 2012 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  22. KJ

I'd vote for her. period

November 15, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  23. scars

I sincerely hope that the Democrats will not be foolish enough to nominate Hillary Clinton. As much as I would LOVE to see a woman President in my lifetime, I would NEVER vote for Clinton. She is a sell-out and is worse on foreign policy because she has to out-macho the guys. As far as I am concerned, she would actually be a worse choice for President than Romney. Democrats like to think that Clinton was such a great President because of his popularity – but he is responsible for NAFTA and the loss of much of our manufacturing jobs. If we think that electing Hillary will bring back the "good old days" of Bill, we are wrong. And those days weren't that good anyway. I've voted Democratic in every election but one (because I refused to vote for Clinton for re-election). If they nominate her in 2016, they certainly won't get my vote.

November 15, 2012 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  24. Evangenital

And I agree. Hillary Clinton is the best. America's brilliant mind!

November 15, 2012 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  25. Almost Unemployed

The easy way to do this, is no tax deductions other than "charitable deductions" on anything after $1,000,000. Between $250,000 and $999,999 prorate mortgage interest, allow personnel and charitable deductions only. Leave the current tax rates in place. Also Not a Hilary fan but think she would be better than Obama.

November 15, 2012 08:11 am at 8:11 am |