Photo: Obama imitates gymnast McKayla Maroney's 'not impressed' look
November 17th, 2012

Photo: Obama imitates gymnast McKayla Maroney's 'not impressed' look

(CNN) – President Barack Obama met with members of the 2012 U.S. Olympic gymnastics team on Thursday and mimicked gymnast McKayla Maroney's "not impressed" look.

"Did I just do the Not Impressed face with the President..?" Maroney, who won an individual silver medal, tweeted afterward.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The White House released the photo Saturday.

During the medal ceremony Maroney was caught with the now-famous unimpressed face which quickly went viral sparking tumblrs and memes of Maroney's face. After the London Olympics, the gymnast told CNN's Soledad O'Brien, "You just have to laugh at what happens."

"Everything happens for a reason and you just have to turn it into something positive," she said about the attention her expression received after the ceremony.

While in the thick of campaign season in August, Obama, an avid watcher of the Olympics, applauded both gold medal swimmer Michael Phelps and the "Fierce Five" women’s gymnastics team for their outstanding performances in London while he and his campaign stumped in the political battleground of Ohio.

"These gymnastics folks - I don't understand how they do what they do," Obama told supporters at a campaign rally after he had spoken by phone from Air Force One to all five members of the team. "So I told these young ladies as I was congratulating them, how do you not bust your head every time you're on that little balance beam? I couldn't walk across that balance beam."

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. Gurgyl

Hillerious....

November 17, 2012 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

It's called the expression of "shyness" in young girls, I saw this many times in my own daughter when being praised and sometimes I see that quirky smile today. I too am amazed at the gymnastic talents of these young women because I know it's very hard work and many times when they fail, hurt themselves, they get right up and try it again, been there myself.

November 17, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. Brad G

Now I find myself doing that expression several times but when I happen to see.my reflection doing so I am not near as cute.

November 17, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. joe

cute photo nice artical Im glad the president has a sense of humor.

November 17, 2012 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  5. me3str

would be better if she did the face with romney, who also took 2nd place.

November 17, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  6. Tony

The McKayla "not impressed" look does not work on Obama. But Obama had good reasons not to be impressed with his political opponents after two presidential elections.

November 17, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. God Bless America

love u Mr president

November 17, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. Frank

LOL... LOVE IT!

November 17, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. C Anderson

President Obama, one of our greatest presidents.

November 17, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  10. LoLo

I doubt that Romney would be loose enough to pull this off. Thank God America woke up!!!!!!!!!!!

November 17, 2012 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. MARITZA.DIAZ71@YAHOO.COM

Cute Photo from the Whiite House of President Obama, taken with gymnast Mckaila, some day my 12 year old and I will love to meet The President, and the first Family, is apromess i made to my kid.

November 17, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  12. MARITZA.DIAZ71@YAHOO.COM

I love you cute photo Mr President Obama, you are my American heroe!!!!!!!

November 17, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. Pippa

Ah...Mr President, you are a true Leo:-)

November 17, 2012 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. jummai yahia

u are the best, Mr President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 17, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  15. Norma Vessels

A wonderful light moment.

November 17, 2012 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. TR

Mr. President... u r da man! Love u president Obama!

November 17, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. Keith

great picture.
    I truly think some – not all – of the president's detractors should take a long look at this and ask themselves if they're really comfortable with how ferociously they despise him, and how badly they want to see him fail.

November 17, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. cali girl

Hi Five McKayla, and to the gymnastics team, you ladies Rock!

November 17, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain: All of the GOP's policies are PROVEN FAILURES

Fun photo!

November 17, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  20. Margo

lls I love it...

November 17, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. Steve Smith

TCFW (Too Cool for Words) . Obama is going down in history as one of our greatest presidents.

November 17, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Disgusted

Sorry, Mr. President. She does it better than you.

November 17, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Glad the fool in the White House is out having a good time. Not impressed well neither are we with his administration.

November 17, 2012 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. John Warren

He is going to be criticized for this, but the one thing I fear more than anything else is a President without a sense of humor and an ability to laugh at himself. I think we made the right choice.

November 17, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |