Obama welcomes 'good vibes' in Thailand
November 18th, 2012

Obama welcomes 'good vibes' in Thailand

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN) - President Barack Obama said Sunday he is open to any positive thoughts over the ongoing budget negotiations, whether they come from prayer or vibes.

"I always believe in prayer. I believe in prayer when I go to church back home," Obama said at a press conference in Bangkok. "if a Buddhist monk is wishing me well, I’m going to take whatever good vibes he can give me to try to deal with some challenges back home."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

At a stop earlier in the day, Obama jokingly told a monk, "We're working on this budget; we're going to need a lot of prayer for that."

At Sunday's press conference with Thailand's Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Obama also expressed confidence about a fiscal deal, drawing on the democracy theme.

"Democracy's a little messier than alternative systems of government, but that's because democracy allows everybody to have a voice," Obama said. "That system of government lasts, and it's legitimate. And when agreements are finally struck, you know that nobody's being left out of the conversation - and that's the reason for our stability and prosperity."

The president is on a three-day, three-country swing through Asia that will include the first-ever visit to Myanmar by an American president and conclude with the East Asia Conference in Cambodia. His first post-election overseas trip is intended to demonstrate Asia's economic importance, ensure positive Democratic steps continue, and reinforce actions taken during the last four years.

"Asia is my first foreign trip since our election in the United States and Thailand is my first stop - and this is no accident," Obama said Sunday. "As the fastest-growing region in the world, the Asia Pacific will shape so much of our security and prosperity in the century ahead, and it is critical to creating jobs and opportunity for the American people."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. vic , nashville ,tn

Doesn’t matter what prayer we attend, vibrations always give us strength and confidence

November 18, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. gwats

I'll be in Thailand in March, please leave some of those 'good vibes' for MY visit please, Mr. President? Three days?.... that is NO pleasure trip, for sure!

November 18, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  3. ShawnDH

I am so so proud to have this excellent and thoughtful leader representing the United States on America. Preident Obama is a great President...the best in a generation.

November 18, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. Gurgyl

Obama is NOT a politician–he is a LEADER. I am proud to say he is my nation's president. God bless him, USA.
    PS: he needs a strong secret service SECURITY.

November 18, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

President Obama builds bridges, Republicans tear them down especially when people don't look like them or aren't as rich.

November 18, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Tommy G

Party on Dear Leader, party on.... Why are you over there while the country is in fiscal crisis? Are you now leading from afar, not just behind??? Even after four years, the Celebrity in Chief still doesn't understand his job. I honestly think he believes he is in some sort of reality TV series. Oh well, here comes the cliff...

November 18, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. Darryl

The Republicans will never admit that the POTUS has out done any Republican President in U.S. history.

November 18, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. plain&simple

Universal appeal.....Obama is humble and knowledgeable and represents the best of Americas values. Thank God he was elected.

November 18, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. Liqmaticus

Insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results. That's why I left the Republican party and went non-party affiliated. Rubio is just spouting out the same junk his party always vomits. The only thing he has done that I agree with is talk some sense into Rick Scott about not cancelling the bullet train that took millions of dollars and years of planning here in Florida. Unfortunately Redneck Rick did not know what vision was. That's the greatest weakness of the Republican party. They just want to stay in their very antiquated ideology that does not jive with a changing America. I hope they become a minority party that never regains power if they plan on being static and inflexible with the changing needs of the country.

November 18, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |