10-year-old with same-sex parents finds pen pal in President Obama
November 20th, 2012
1 year ago

10-year-old with same-sex parents finds pen pal in President Obama

(CNN) – When Sophia Bailey-Klugh, a 10-year-old, invited President Barack Obama to dinner, she didn't get a response.

So when he replied to her second letter–this one thanking him for his position on same-sex marriage–the girl with two fathers was really surprised.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

One of Sophia's fathers, Jonathan Bailey, posted the letter to Facebook on October 28, saying Sophia penned the piece "unprompted" and it made her two fathers "so unbelievably proud."

"Dear Barack Obama," she wrote. "It's Sophia Bailey Klugh your friend who invited you to dinner. You don't remember okay that's fine. But I just wanted to tell you that I am so glad you agree that two men can love each other because I have two dads and they love each other."

Sophia, who lives with her fathers in San Diego, California, went on to write about how other students at her school say her parents' marriage is "gross and weird."

"It really hurts my heart and feelings, so I come to you because you are my hero," she wrote, asking for advice on what he would do if he were in her shoes.

"I hope you win on being the president. You would totally make the world a better place," she ended the letter. "Please tell your daughters hi for me!"

Also on the page was a drawing of her two dads kissing, with the word "love" written overhead.

From Jonathan Bailey's Facebook page

A week later, Jonathan posted a letter with the president's letterhead at the top. It was dated November 1 and addressed to Sophia.

"Thank you for writing me such a thoughtful letter about your family. Reading it made me proud to be your president and even more hopeful about the future of our nation," the letter stated.

"In America, no two families look the same. We celebrate this diversity," Obama continued. "And we recognize that whether you have two dads or one mom what matters above all is the love we show one another. You are very fortunate to have two parents who care deeply for you. They are lucky to have such an exceptional daughter in you."

From Jonathan Bailey's Facebook page

Shortly after North Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in May, Obama announced in a televised interview that he had "evolved" in his position on the issue and believed two people of the same gender should legally be allowed to wed.

Americans have largely been divided on the issue of same-gender marriage. According to CNN Exit Polls from Election Day, 49% of Americans said they agreed that same-sex marriage should be legal in their respective state, while 46% disagreed.

Obama overwhelmingly won the support of those who identified themselves of gay, lesbian or bisexual–76% to Mitt Romney at 22%. While Romney personally opposes same-sex marriage and civil unions, he did say he supported domestic partnership rights and favored the right for a gay couple to adopt children.

In his letter, Obama suggested that Sophia remind her friends at school about the Golden Rule: "A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you."

"Thanks again for taking the time to write me," he continued. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it to dinner, but I'll be sure to tell Sasha and Malia you say hello."

When Jonathan Bailey posted the letter from the president, he also offered his own personal thanks.

"Thank you Barack Obama – you have made one 10-year old feel mighty special (and her two dads too)," he wrote in the caption of the photo.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Same-sex marriage
  1. jackson

forbidden

No matter what the world think about same sex it is forbidden by god as well as other sin. People have the right to do what they wants but all things not excepted by god. Have a great day.

_________

Which god? There are many gods that people on this planet pray to.

You can't mean the god of the catholic church. If that god was so concerned about the welfare of children, why would he let so many of them get raped by people who preach his word?

November 21, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. tee

Just like our President, my views have "evolved" also. Ten years ago, I was somewhat homophobic. Since then I have had 3 kids, and my change of view can be attributed to that. I would hope that all children are able to find wonderful parents to love and take care of them. The foster system is so messed up, and the fact is same-sex couples are the ones adopting many of these kids. Two loving dads vs. foster homes, the choice is so simple really.

November 21, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. erin

This is a lovely story. I'm certain that marriage equality will be nation-wide soon. It's a civil rights issue. Keep your religion out of other citizens' private lives. (Jesus said more against eating shellfish than he did against homosexuality, btw)

November 21, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. California Gary

By the way Wilson.........for what it's worth, I felt bad when you got washed off the raft and drifted away.........I almost cried.

November 21, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  5. read the bible

It is forbidden by god. There is only one god. If you don't pray to our lord Jesus Christ our saver. Then you are lost...

November 21, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Wobbles

@forbidden
    God isn't a registered voter the last time I checked but if your church wishes to get involved we'll be happy to take that tax exempt status away from them.

November 21, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  7. Hugh Jass

"God said to love ALL!! You who don't consider this whoa be on to thee!!"

This is the best advice yet. Whoa, everybody. Hold your horses.

November 21, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. griff griff

Personally, I voted for President Obama and I am glad he won. But as far as same-sex marriage is concerned, I am in total disagreement with him and Mr. Romney because civil unions are not a good idea either. Even though heterosexual "shacking" looks more civil than same-sex unions, Proverbs 12: 14 says; "There is a way that seems right to a man but in the end, it leads to the way of death and destruction." The Bible says in Genesis 2, "and he (God) brought her (Eve) to him (Adam). I believe God set a precedent and it should NEVER be broken. The young lady, as well as her two "fathers" are very well misguided by this new generation thought process, and the damage will show later on in the young lady's life. Unlike the President, my views has never evolved on this matter, and I can say matter-of-factly, that it never will. Just sayin', but not apologizing.

November 21, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Name

And this is the man who calls himself a christian. Yet supports homosexuals. No wonder this country is in its worst state ever

------------------–

he supports ALL americans brainiac. You choose to exclude those that don't fit your moral code. Too bad for you. I hear there are other countries that don't "support homosexuals"......iran for one. You'd fit right in since the thumpers here are no better than the Taliban

November 21, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  10. EMMA

Sophia-It doesn't matter if your parents are the same sex, differentt sex, white, black, green, purple, short, tall, thick or thin...what matters is that you have TWO loving parents that love you very much! It's a challenge raising children so love them as much as they love you! You have a home a family, you are safe, warm, have food and clothes...that's all kids want...a home full of abundant love. So when the mean/bully kids make fun of your parents...tell them my two dads can beat up your one dad anyday buddy...
    P.S. Sorry Dad's I didnt mean to instill violence in your child...Sophia, ummmm just ignore those mean/bully kids!

November 21, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

California Gary

-------------------------------------------------
    Let me be a kid here for just a moment...........BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAchoke!gasp!breathe!BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Sorry Wilson but that s hit was funny!

November 21, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. ABarker

Al-NY,NY "he supports ALL americans brainiac"

No, he doesn't. He "supports" the liberal left.

November 21, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  13. Sally

When America's budget is balanced, there is no joblessness, there are no ILLEGAL immigrants, our school's are the best in the World, and there is no more homeless or hungry citizens, THEN I'll give a rats behind that the President has a 10 year-old pen pal.
    Until then, it's all PR.
    Let's fix America first, yes?

November 21, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. gaucho420

This article made my day.

November 21, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Greenspam

Republicans should hold multiple hearings on this egregious violation of federal law – government ink and paper were used to write a letter with personal opinions.

November 21, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Wilson

@Dominican mama 4 Obama

California Gary

-----------------
    Sorry Wilson but that s hit was funny!
    -------------------------------–
    I thought it was funny too, almost blew my tea through my nose when I read it. Doesn't bother me, as I said to you earlier, opinions of others don't matter a hill-o-beans in my life and shouldn't in anybody's. However, I just thought to point out that this type of comment is being a "bully" right? And Rudy was calling me hypocrite earlier???? Hmmmmmm. Wonder where kids learn bully behavior.

November 21, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. Jake

Sophia, I am very proud of you, and I am proud that President Obama won a second term in office. Your parents seem like wonderful people and are raising and intelligent, caring young lady. Don't let anyone, for any reason, let you believe otherwise. You are a star!

November 21, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Hugh Jass

" Demonstrating the kind of person you are." Can you not read my name, you dumb soccer ball?

November 21, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. djdjdjs

My goodness what a great story. America obviously elected the right guy. Sophie has a beautiful family !

November 21, 2012 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. JC

FYI: First Amendment. Separation of church and state. Whatever your favorite book of fairy tales might be, whether it be the Bible or the Koran, or any other religious fables, IT HAS NO PART IN OUR GOVERNMENT. Perhaps if the religious right can't understand that, and they choose the path of denying others their equal rights, we should give them something to think about. I think an aggressive proactive movement to deprive churches of their tax-exempt status when they step over the line by attempting to legislate from the pews. As you might imagine, I believe that religion has been the single greatest source of evil in recorded history. And I think the world would be better off without it. But I don't try to limit the rights of others to worship as they see fit, despite my views. Maybe that has to change. As they say. An eye for an eye.

November 21, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. Anonymous

I can see why Jesus said that the worker in the field would be chosen over he pillar of the church. It seems that judge not lest you too be judged is being ignored. This child needs the support of others no matter who her parents are. If she is to feel shame over the parents she greatfully has it is harmful to her. I say, let's stop judging, leave what is Gods to God, and love one another free of all of this bantering.
    I know people have beliefs that they follow, but when they divide mankind it becomes a negative energy that none of us need.

November 21, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Wilson:
    -------------------------------------------------
    Wilson you have a good sense of humor!
    You're also very perceptive and in so being you actually proved our point. You felt kind of ganged up (bullied) on by Rudy, Lynda, California et al, and maybe even me. That must've felt a little uncomfortable even through the anonymity of the internet. Sophia feels ganged up on face-to-face by her contemporaries. Kids learn this kind of behaviour from the same place that adults learn it: from us.
    Now it is my turn to extend an apology to you Wilson.....but it WAS funny (wink)!!

November 21, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Disappointed

It is very disheartening that so many "Christian" people are the first to judge!! Isn't that supposed to be left to God? It seems they are the first to cast the stone. I know many gay people who are full of nothing but love yet have to hear hateful comments from ignorant people!! Why does someone else's sexuality get to some people so much? It really makes me wonder if they are suppressing feelings...

November 21, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. Jennifer

This so gladdened my heart. I had two mom's growing up in East Texas in the 80's. Since we didn't want a cross burned in our yard, my brother and I had to lie about our family. I called my other mom aunt and when kids asked why they slept in the same room, we said we were too poor to have a 4 bedroom house. How times have changed. I'm soo glad Sophia doesn't have to lie. Thanks Obama for having an open mind and heart!

November 21, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Edwin

"A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you."

I wish more people obeyed this rule. It would make politics a lot better. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not consider *others* to really be people deserving of respect or decency.

November 21, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |