10-year-old with same-sex parents finds pen pal in President Obama
November 20th, 2012
1 year ago

10-year-old with same-sex parents finds pen pal in President Obama

(CNN) – When Sophia Bailey-Klugh, a 10-year-old, invited President Barack Obama to dinner, she didn't get a response.

So when he replied to her second letter–this one thanking him for his position on same-sex marriage–the girl with two fathers was really surprised.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

One of Sophia's fathers, Jonathan Bailey, posted the letter to Facebook on October 28, saying Sophia penned the piece "unprompted" and it made her two fathers "so unbelievably proud."

"Dear Barack Obama," she wrote. "It's Sophia Bailey Klugh your friend who invited you to dinner. You don't remember okay that's fine. But I just wanted to tell you that I am so glad you agree that two men can love each other because I have two dads and they love each other."

Sophia, who lives with her fathers in San Diego, California, went on to write about how other students at her school say her parents' marriage is "gross and weird."

"It really hurts my heart and feelings, so I come to you because you are my hero," she wrote, asking for advice on what he would do if he were in her shoes.

"I hope you win on being the president. You would totally make the world a better place," she ended the letter. "Please tell your daughters hi for me!"

Also on the page was a drawing of her two dads kissing, with the word "love" written overhead.

From Jonathan Bailey's Facebook page

A week later, Jonathan posted a letter with the president's letterhead at the top. It was dated November 1 and addressed to Sophia.

"Thank you for writing me such a thoughtful letter about your family. Reading it made me proud to be your president and even more hopeful about the future of our nation," the letter stated.

"In America, no two families look the same. We celebrate this diversity," Obama continued. "And we recognize that whether you have two dads or one mom what matters above all is the love we show one another. You are very fortunate to have two parents who care deeply for you. They are lucky to have such an exceptional daughter in you."

From Jonathan Bailey's Facebook page

Shortly after North Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage in May, Obama announced in a televised interview that he had "evolved" in his position on the issue and believed two people of the same gender should legally be allowed to wed.

Americans have largely been divided on the issue of same-gender marriage. According to CNN Exit Polls from Election Day, 49% of Americans said they agreed that same-sex marriage should be legal in their respective state, while 46% disagreed.

Obama overwhelmingly won the support of those who identified themselves of gay, lesbian or bisexual–76% to Mitt Romney at 22%. While Romney personally opposes same-sex marriage and civil unions, he did say he supported domestic partnership rights and favored the right for a gay couple to adopt children.

In his letter, Obama suggested that Sophia remind her friends at school about the Golden Rule: "A good rule is to treat others the way you hope they will treat you."

"Thanks again for taking the time to write me," he continued. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it to dinner, but I'll be sure to tell Sasha and Malia you say hello."

When Jonathan Bailey posted the letter from the president, he also offered his own personal thanks.

"Thank you Barack Obama – you have made one 10-year old feel mighty special (and her two dads too)," he wrote in the caption of the photo.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama • Same-sex marriage
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wilson

Poor kid. Her classmates are correct, it is a sick and wierd relationship/situation.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Her classmates are 10 years old, exactly how old are you ?
    Too old, I would venture, to not know any better than to propogate hate for hate sake.
    How sick and weird are YOU say what you just posted to a 10 year-old child who loves her parents and is hurting by what is being said about them?
    Do you have any idea what it must be like for this child to hurt because the two people she loves most in this world are being maligned by hateful, ignorant people like you Wilson?
    Shame on you, you bully.

November 20, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. bd

This president has the guts to take on the bold steps like healthcare and LGBT rights, equal pay for women – simply makes me proud of this country. No other countries in the world can make your dreams come true like here. Obama rocks.

November 20, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Black Seven

Too bad the only reason the dear leader responded to the girl was for political gain. If this was not a hot issue he would have tossed his nose in the air and ignored her like the unemployed of this country. Nice way to use a little girl like the beasts he funded called Hamas.

November 20, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. just askin

but obama didn't support her two fathers and their marriage last january! he was an anti-gay bigot until he saw the money at the end of the tunnel. his support for gay marriage was bought and paid for!!

November 20, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. Michael, Chapel Hill

Where are all those who celebrate Science and call everyone who believes in a Creator, ignorant? One man plus man or woman plus woman does not give birth of a baby.... My heart goes with the baby...

November 20, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  6. Geo

@not in WI

"I can't wait until my three wives can legally marry my dog. We won't be a truly free society until we're able to marry everyone we love."

Jesus Christ you are unbelievably stupid.

November 20, 2012 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. Marie MD

Oh please,toss his nose join the air?
    YIU must be thinking of the twit and his who let the dogs out" fiasco while looking so uncomfortable around Black kids.
    I thought your Jesus said to love everyone. I guess that's only good as long as they are white, straight and stupid?

November 20, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Carlos

Un be lieve able what about jobs ?

November 20, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Obama is a truly great president, and "great" is a word that I seldom use.
    How thoughtful and deeply human of President Obama to write such a letter to that child!

November 20, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. Maggiemae

What a wonderful child Sophia is. It's obvious she has been raised in a loving and healthy Environment. Her dads should be so proud of her and should also be proud of themselves to have raised such an exceptional daughter. I've always been a supporter of President Obama and his reply to her reinforces in my mind what a great man he is. My closest friends are raising their nieces. They are a lesbian couple who are far and away better parents then the girls' biological father and mother. They were a married couple who on the surface were 'normal'. In actuality they wete really lousy, selfish parents. Their aunts have been in a loving relationship for over 15 years and have given them unconditional love and support. One is in her first year of college now, the other in high school. Both of them are straight A students and very loving, responsible young women. They are far better off with this loving lesbian couple then they would have been with the man/woman family they were born to.

November 20, 2012 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. carlos

Good thing Obama has the guts to pander to voting segments that he doesn't agree with, just so that he can get re-elected. He was for defense of marriage before he was against it. Really, who cares if gays get married, but if it gets me more power then I'm all for it.

November 20, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  12. mike electrician

Good story.

November 20, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. dwp19542004

i guess she could have been hitlers pen pay too

November 20, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. read the bible

Read the bible see what god thinks about gays. Obama is not god. Even animals are not that stupid. God burn one city that was full of gays. This time its going to be the end.

November 20, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. RobK

I really get tired of people accusing others of hate, just because they disagree with them. Read a dictionary for once.

November 20, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. dwp19542004

i guess she could have been hitlers pen pal too

November 20, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. just askin

Geo
    @not in WI
    Jesus Christ you are unbelievably stupid.
    =======================

who are you to deny these people their happiness? are you a canine bigot or something? and don't call jesus christ stupid or you'll burn in hell forever.

November 20, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  18. Michelle

What a lovely thing for the president to do! I was brought to tears by her and his letter along with her dads comments. Being a straight female it's hard for me to identify with gay people but being a proud mom I can certainly say that her dads should be very proud of her. We should all learn something from this. People are people and deserve the same rights and respects, equally and without prejudice.

November 20, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. cdarnold2

@Uloma

Your post reminded me of a favorite quote off a favorite show: "You can't pray away the gay!"
    So many well-intentioned people want to "fix" those who live differently. Nothing's broken, there's nothing to fix.

November 20, 2012 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Every child deserves love and it's obvious this little one is well loved by both her parents who opened their hearts to give her a happy home. Now, if we had more adults who say they know what love is to open their eyes and hearts instead of passing unkind judgement which is not theirs to give.

November 20, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. snoozie

Clearly, some posters still have not mastered the art of "live and let live".

November 20, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. California Gary

Right on Dominican Mama for Obama.........kids can be cruel, have been since time began.........most mature and change their way of thinking as they become adults..........some do not (Wilson?). Your point is right on the mark.

November 20, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Wilson

@Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wilson

-----------------
    Her classmates are 10 years old, exactly how old are you ?
    Shame on you, you bully.
    -----------------------------------
    You are jumping on the wrong person, it is her sick and wierd "parents" that have put her in this position, not me. You can lie to others to be politically correct, as most socialists do, but there is no way in your heart of hearts that two men or two women having seks and being "married," is natural or correct. There is to much this little girl is going to miss out on that she would have gotten from a loving mother. Not to mention the fun times trying to understand about her monthly visitor when neither parent understands it. I'm growing real tired of you, and people like you, that try for force political correctness on the rest of us. So, many things we are no longer allowed to say, or talk about because we might "offend" someone, or they will get their poor feelings hurt. Tough, grow a thicker skin and realize that other people's opinions, including mine, don't matter a hill-o-beans to a person's life.

CNN you don't have a hair on your a&& if you don't allow this post.

November 20, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  24. OBAMACARE is here to stay ladies and gentlemen

nice..God bless america

November 20, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  25. Sniffit

"Even animals are not that stupid."

Animals "gay it up" all the time. Know what you're talking about...THEN open your yap.

November 20, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |