Sen. Paul thinking about '16 White House bid
November 20th, 2012
1 year ago

Sen. Paul thinking about '16 White House bid

Washington (CNN) - A candid Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky says he's interested in running for president in 2016.

"I am different than some in that I'm not going to deny that I'm interested," said the Republican first term senator in an interview released Tuesday by ABC News.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Paul is the son of retiring Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, who was the 1988 libertarian candidate for president, and who made bids in 2008 and 2012 for the GOP presidential nomination under the mantle of libertarian conservatism.

Asked by ABC's Jonathan Karl if there's going to be another Paul for President campaign in 2016, the senator said "you know, I want to be part of the national debate. I think it's a little too soon to talk about who's going to run and who's not going to run, and to tell you the truth, I don't know what's going to come. Am I interested in thinking about that? Yes."

"Am I ready to make the decision now? No," added Paul, who was elected to the Senate in 2010 with strong support from tea party activists.

– CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Rand Paul
  1. Other Foot

Quick, somebody ask him, 'How old is the Earth?' GOP answers are always a hoot!

November 20, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. Karl Jonas

MC Rubio... hahahaha I haven't laughed so much in months!

November 20, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  3. carlos

this imbecile wouldn't make President of the Dumpster Cleaners Association......and please do not mention the other imb..... rubio UGH!

November 20, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Jeff Brown in Jersey

This little Munchkin has no chance!

November 20, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. jk in MN

OMG – just what the country DOESN't need!

November 20, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I would like to see that. He'd get ripped apart by most of the other candidates. His ideas only work an ideal world. He and his father never speak of their assumptions because that makes a large difference in how believeable their ideas are. If there is no way that they could be done, then he shouldn't be the choice.

November 20, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |