November 29th, 2012
1 year ago

Biden beelines to D.C. Costco on opening day

(CNN) – Count Vice President Joe Biden among the Washingtonians eagerly awaiting the opening of the District's first Costco.

The second in command made a trip across town Thursday to shop the first Washington location of the wholesale giant on its opening day, walking in prepared with his Costco membership card, which he flashed to the minder at the front door.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

A Biden aide said the vice president and his wife have long been patrons of Costco, which requires customers to buy an annual membership to shop at their large warehouse-style stores. The aide said Biden's membership was re-activated Wednesday – including paying the $55 fee - in anticipation of his DC spree.

As he strolled the store's aisles, Biden grabbed a few samples of the store's food items, and picked up, among other things, a Panasonic television and an apple pie. Workers from the store's tire department attempted to get the vice president to browse their offerings, but were rebuffed.

"Hey man I don't need tires," Biden said. "I don't drive anymore."

At one point, he attempted to call his daughter Ashley on his telephone, apparently to get her thoughts on buying one of the store's watches. She didn't answer.

Asked by reporters accompanying him to the store his thoughts on fiscal cliff negotiations, Biden said he was "optimistic" a deal could be reached, but that part of the deal should include extending Bush-era tax cuts for middle class families.

Filed under: Vice President Biden
  1. Sharon

I love Costco – first shopped at one when visiting my brother in Portland, Oregon. You learn how to buy – if I see a real bargain in food, I call family to see if they want to split it. As to hurting small business, I shop my local grocers, produce markets, speciallty stores.
    Mitt Robme_ – I don't shop Walmart, Sam's Club, etc. You are incorrec that Social Security and Medicare are 'govt dole'. I have contributed since I was 16 back in the day, as they put it. Next year, I will finally be able to collect my social security. I hope to still work and be able to save the social security to replace what I lost under Bush's recession. I do agree tha Walmart mistreats their employees.

November 29, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  2. Why Why Why

For a second I though it said George W Bush, and I was overcome with joy.

November 29, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. gr8 usa

I LOVE that the VP of the USA RE-activated his Costco card! I also love that he bought a TV, and apple pie and fire logs...yeah, that sounds like the random stuff I got on my last trip there, too!

November 29, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  4. Gregory L. Faith

I'd shop at mine here but they don't sell gasoline there so I shop at SAM'S CLUB instead.

November 29, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. Ed1

Very important news glad he didn't take out his Sams card.

November 29, 2012 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. Disgusted

Bet he didn't have to wait in line. Great photo op!

November 29, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Fiona

I'm surprised he didn't pick up a raft of whitening toothpaste for that big, cheesy grin of his.

November 29, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Welcome back VP Biden, the WH wouldn't be the same without you and Jill. Thank you for all your service.

November 29, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Pratt

I don't see slow Joe shopping at many places with concrete floors. We spend at least $800 month at Costco or Sams. Buying in bulk is a great way to save money. Costco stock has done very well.

November 29, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Rick

I hope he got lots of toilet paper, you can never have enough toilet paper

November 29, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  11. Anonymous

love costco

November 29, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Small Biz Owner

Thanks for supporting / promoting our struggling US small businesses Joe....

November 29, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  13. Dave B.

Costco's main competition is Sam's Club and grocery stores. Costco only has locations in large metropolitan areas so the idea that Costco pushes out small mom and pop stores is garbage. Those Mom and Pop general stores were bankrupted by Stop and Shop, Giant, and Safeway back in the 70's. The retail grocery market has been running on profit margins of 5% or less for the past 20 years. Mom and Pop shops is local communities that thrive are based upon restaurants, specialty groceries such as bakeries, and service providers.

By the way, there is a Costco right off of Queens Blvd. The lease cost of placing a big box in Manhattan makes their presence unprofitable; not a local ordinance.

November 29, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. CBR

Interesting reactions particularly because Joe Biden is one of the members of Congress who did not become a millionaire while serving. More important he shopped at one of the more successful box stores and one which does extend benefits to its employees. Sorry Walmart and Sam customers these store do not have benefits.

It would be nice if we could take the news as told instead of trying to make it into a political statements.

November 29, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. Clarke

Hey, the man is human.

November 29, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. Ben

Mr. VP you are looking great. Good luck on your second term.

November 29, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Travis wrote:

It's not completely out of the question that a small business can't move to another location. There are lots of variables to consider when faced with the prospect of having to relocate. Not all businesses are the same, and as such, their requirements for moving are not the same either.
    --------------------
    Hello? It's kind of difficult to relocate when your business is going bankrupt. Hello?

I never said I didn't like the club stores, I just think that they have a devastating impace on small businesses. Same is true of the drug store chains, fast food chains, shopping malls, etc. Like I said, some communities "ban" such businesses by never voting to give them a permit to start contruction within their jurisdictions.

November 29, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Chris in TN

haha love to see our Veep getting a buggy of random crap. He shops like me..oooooo I need these fire logs and hey a shiny watch!

November 29, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. Havildar

Congratulation and Thank you VP Joe Biden. By the way like you we also shop at Costco & B.J's as well as local stores that provide benefits to their employees while giving them a living wage.

November 29, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. CommonSense 12

Wow, it's so great to have a Prez and VP that both seem to be like us and show that they really care....no faking there!

November 29, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. Nick

I'm guessing teeth whitener. Unfortunately Costco doesn't sell brains. The question is, why is this "public servant" going to Costco instead of doing his job? Why is he not working with Congress on the fiscal cliff? He and Obama seem to have plenty of time for non-work events – when is the media and the public going to hold them accountable – for anything?

November 29, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. victoriangardens

Costco employees make an average of $17 an hour, and the CEO only makes $500,000 a year refusing to cut salaries and benefits to his employees. I LOVE COSTCO, I wish they were in the Albany NY area. Much better than the dirty way Walmart treats it's employees.

November 29, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  23. Gurgyl

Love you, joe!!!!

November 29, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  24. Name. Colin

Joe in its me over for Super Bowl. You,myself and the big man will catch the game and some brews Mann n n n

November 29, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. TJH2

Joe, you forgot your tie !,,

November 29, 2012 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |