Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized
November 29th, 2012
3 months ago

Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized

(CNN) – Former President George H.W. Bush remains in a Houston hospital Thursday after being treated for bronchitis, his spokesman said. His office said he was in stable condition.

Bush, 88, has been hospitalized at Houston's Methodist Hospital for six days and has a "lingering cough," spokesman Jim McGrath told CNN.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"President Bush has been in and out of The Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center being treated for complications related to his bronchitis," his office said in a statement. "He is in stable condition, and is expected to be released within the next 72 hours."

Bush has a form of Parkinson's disease that affects his legs and requires him to use a wheelchair.

He is the oldest living former president and a World War II veteran.

He was previously hospitalized overnight in 2007 after a fainting spell caused by dehydration and hot weather while golfing in California.

– CNN's Chuck Johnston contributed to this report.

Filed under: George H. W. Bush • Texas
  1. Susan

Rest up, listen to your nurses and they'll have you up and about in no time! Thank you for your services to our country!

November 29, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. chrisgod1

Best Republican President we have had in a long time. He had the foresight on Iraq and did not roll into Baghdad as many yearned for back then. He marshaled a vast international alliance to liberate Kuwait. He went back on Rad My Lips much to his demise but he did what was best for the country. What a patriot and great American. Get well soon President Bush.

November 29, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. Geo

Get well soon Mr. President. Thank you for your service to our great country.

November 29, 2012 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. frank dean

i pray!presido,get well fast and cheer up.

November 29, 2012 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. FFFFan

Get well soon Mr. President, I appreciate your many years of service to our country.

November 29, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. JHolzer

Hoping for a fast recovery for a true national hero and treasure! Feel better Mr. President.

November 29, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. c randolph

Get well soon u are one of the Best ..

November 29, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. elise flowers

I hope he feels better. I am a democrat B/f, from Memphis tn wishing my former president, a speedy recovery.

November 29, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. John

Another Democrat here wishing Mr. Bush a fast, full and complete recovery.

November 29, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. c randolph

Charles Randolph GET WELL MR . BUSH

November 29, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Bob, Kansas City

Get well Mr. President, I consider you the last President who's really sacrificed anything to make this a better place for us. Best wishes and take care.

November 29, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. Anonymous

Get well soon! :-)

November 29, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. Lionel

Not a fan of the Bushes but I wish you well and hope you recover.

November 29, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Beeg1984

As a Democrat also, there comes a time when the what party you belong to don't matter, It about honor and repect and former President Bush deserve respect just like our current President Obama does. May the Grace and Mercy of God heal your body. Get well soon, Mr. President!

November 29, 2012 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  15. M

Get well President Bush – I wish we had Republicans like you.

November 29, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  16. livingston

This democrat wishes you well and a speedy recovery!

November 29, 2012 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. Noodley

Get well soon, Mr. President! I want to see you around our beloved Kennebunk next summer!

November 29, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. AlanR

From a VietNam Vet to a WW II Vet thank you for all you have done from serving in the Armed Forces to beng our Commander in Chief (you know what we have gone through compared to who we have now).
    God Bless and wishing you a speedy and full recovery. You are well liked and respected. YNCS(SS), USN Ret.

November 29, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Todd in DC

Get well soon, Sir. You sure were right about Gulf War I (and this from a life long Democrat).

November 29, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  20. NameLeo h Burns

God speed in your recovery.

November 29, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. GOP is for the rich(except H.W.)

Get well soon....

November 29, 2012 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Joshua

Since I'm a democrat, we have differences in ideology. However, any President of the United States, former or current, Republican or Democrat, deserves my respect. I hope you get well soon, Mr. President.

November 29, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. Sagebrush Shorty

Read my lips. Get well!

November 29, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  24. claudia

Wishing you the very best. I am a diehard democrat but I have a great deal of respect for you. My hubby supported you in 1992, he has not supported another republican since. We hope you and your family can overcome this latest bump in the road. You were a fine President and a good man.

November 29, 2012 11:59 am at 11:59 am |