Obama warns he's got 'naughty and nice list'
November 30th, 2012
2 months ago

Obama warns he's got 'naughty and nice list'

Hatfield, Pennsylvania (CNN) – A small town, an energetic crowd, and a bustling factory backdrop. President Barack Obama's remarks in Hatfield, Pennsylvania, on Friday may have some Americans wondering if the president was back on the campaign trail. In a way, he is.

The president traveled to Pennsylvania for a campaign-style event, where he toured a local factory and delivered remarks on the looming fiscal cliff, a series of tax hikes and spending cuts set to kick in at the beginning of the year if Congress and the White House fail to reach a deficit-reduction deal.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've been keeping my own naughty and nice list for Washington," the president said after a tour of the The Rodon Group manufacturing facility, which produces more than 95% of the parts for K'NEX Brands toys. "So you should keep your eye on who gets K'NEX this year. There are going to be some members of Congress who get them and some who don't."

The event, intended to mobilize support for the president's proposed solutions to the fiscal cliff, comes as Republicans on Capitol Hill insist that recent negotiations with the White House have been unproductive.

Earlier Friday morning, House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy released a video featuring a small business in nearby Collegeville, Pennsylvania, whose owner, Jerry Gorski, opposes the tax increases being pushed by Obama and Democrats on Capitol Hill. They propose raising rates on families making more than $250,000 in addition to closing loopholes, limiting deductions and increasing taxes on capital gains and dividends.

Republicans, however, staunchly oppose a raise in tax rates.

But the president remained undeterred in his speech Friday, telling the crowd, "Our long term goal is to get our long term deficit under control in a way that is balanced and is fair. That would be good for businesses, for our economy, for future generations. And I believe both parties can and will work together in the coming weeks to get that done."

In recent days Republicans have expressed dismay over the $1.6 trillion in revenue the president has put forward as part of a possible agreement - a higher amount they say they expected.

While Obama did not mention any specifics Friday, he did hint that the deal would not be easily agreed upon, saying "In Washington nothing is easy so there is going to be some prolonged negotiations. And all of us are going to have to get out of our comfort zones to make that happen."

And just in case those attending the event missed the subtle holiday-themed deadline of the fiscal negotiations, the president was happy to remind them, saying "If Congress does nothing, every family in America will see their income taxes automatically go up on January first…That's a Scrooge Christmas."

Filed under: Fiscal Cliff • President Obama
  1. Wilson

@A True American

"...a 4 percent increase for the wealthy is not that much out of their pocket...they need to stop being so dam greedy and go back to being true Americans."

Actually, true Americans are those who understand the value of hard work and personal responsibility. True Americans don't whine and cry every time life gets a little hard, but rather they buckle down, get through the rough patch, and come out on the other side smarter and stronger. True Americans don't go to the government with their hands out to cover mortgages they shouldn't have taken or couldn't afford in the first place, student loans for degrees that have no practical purpose in the real world, or assistance with food, utilities, or shelter UNTIL they have exhausted every other possible option to take care of it themselves. True Americans know that the money in someone else's pocket is not theirs, because they didn't earn it.
    -----------------------------------
    Absolutely spot on!! Unfortunately for the socialist left that is the equivalent of matter to their anti-matter.

November 30, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

@Critical Thinking

Where are you from??? Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia??? I bet you never had a job in your whole life. The only list you'd make is the welfare list!

November 30, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. obinna hillstwinks

well,president obama has been running the country now for a long time now,he should be able to have good and bad records,nice and good

November 30, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Critical Thinking

-----------------–
    My college roommate finished school, began working in the research environment. Lost his job when Challenger blew up because they diverted research money into buiding a new orbiter. Collected unemployment until he found a job in Kuwait that lasted until Saddam invaded, meanwhile he lost his shirt in the S&L scandals at the time. Lost his shirt and his construction job once again because of Enron investments that went bad. Collected more unemployment until called up in the army reserve to serve in Iraq, where he lost leg and was confined to a wheelchair in a VA hospital until the Bush administration began closing and cutting back on the VA.

Today, he's a happy camper collecting government checks in a VA hospital thanks to the POTUS that he voted for and helped to re-elect by doing phone duty from his wheelchair.

November 30, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. The REAL Truth...

@Critical Thinking – and yes built my own business these past 10 years. put my 3 kids through college with no financial aid. have built my annual income over $750K, pay an effective tax rate of 29% or roughly pay the feds $220K per year and therefore have the right to complain when this adminstration waste the huge amount of taxes I provide
    ------------------------------
    Ah-ha!! This explains your aversion to all things Obama... you're part of the 1%, part of the very problem we are trying to fix!!! Party of the greedy Americans who thing the 98% are doing jack for ourselves.

Let's see, I put myself through college – no student loans, worked hard for 30 years gained increasing levels of responsibility and with it an increase in salary and tax rate. Never was unemployed and therefore never collected unemployment checks from the government. I do not run my own company, but I help my wife run hers, and I can assure you that a 3% increase in tax rate means jack. Oh BTW – I make under the $250 you're all complaining about. You can afford it too. The whining coming from folks like you who are NOT paying their fair share is juvenile.

November 30, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. don in albuquerque

Cannot remember what the name is for the syndrome people who have been taken hostage get that makes them begin to help the criminal who is going to kill them. You know the one where they help the bad guy even if it means destroying the good guys who are trying to help them. From some of the posts here that is exactly what we have. George W, plunged us into two wars (one if not both illegal), did not pay or budget for either, destroyed our economy by taking us from a Clinton surplus to a trillion (or more) in debt. Gave away huge sums to his buddies, lied to the whole country, murdered thousands on both sides, took away many civil rights....and when someone comes along and tries to fix it.....Its all his fault, and the guys trying to stop him become the good guys. Wow. Enjoy serfdom, you fools.

November 30, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. i'malib

I am on obamas nice list. I don't work, spend other peoples money and have 4 kids with 3 different fathers. In addition, I don't plan on looking for a job–why should I when the President will pay for my food, health and phone for me and my kids? I'm not hurting anybody-I just want whats coming to me, I just want my fair share.

November 30, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Critical Thinking

I didn't notice that it looks like he has 7 fingers but I did notice that he has taken off the pink bracelet supporting breats cancer. I guess after winning the election he is not as concerned about womens issues as he was prior to the election. Not surprising but interesting to note.

November 30, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Donkey Party

Teabagger Mike – Way to spin reality. The President has asked to extend the tax cuts for 98% of Americans, but it's the GOP that refuses. The GOP are domestic terrorists, and it is them that are holding the country hostage. Get your facts straight, or stfu.

November 30, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Donkey Party

Critical Non-thinker- Employees pay for unemployment insurance. So if I've been paying into it for 30 years, how is it not mine to use? And furthermore, why should I only receive 56 weeks worth??? You sir, are as ignorant as they come.

November 30, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

-Critical Thinking

I'm sure I would be on Obama's naughty list. Let's see, put myself through college no student loans, worked hard for 30 years gained increasing levels of responsibity and with it an increase in salary. never was unemployed and therefore never collected unemployment checks from the government. started and yes built my own business these past 10 years. put my 3 kids through college with no financial aid. have built my annual income over $750K, pay an effective tax rate of 29% or roughly pay the feds $220K per year and therefore have the right to complain when this adminstration waste the huge amount of taxes I provide and then has the nerve to call me greedy when I don't want to provide them any additional tax dollars to waste. yeah, I belong on his naughty list for sure.

***************************
    Congratulations on your success, if its genuine. No, you're not greedy, just a fool. Government under right wing control ran up the tab for the 30 years you were working to solely benefit those who make far more than you. Unfortunately, you subsidized those so-called "job creators" while they continued to enjoy far greater advantages than you, and you've obviously forgotten where you came from. By the way, where I grew up, it was not considered a badge of honor to trumpet your accomplishments, even anonymously. The government is in debt due to policies that benefitted you, so don't you think its time you paid your part, or are you insisting the middle class subsidize your success and welch out on your debt? By the way, a person makes 750K per annum would hardly merit anyone's notice in teh real world.

November 30, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. Wake up People!

So Ray E. Georgia isn't referring to President Obama as "the boy" today??? Shocking, but I wondered how long it would take you and your kind to start?

November 30, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. Name learn to write

Eat the rich.

November 30, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

kayla

i see some folks still gripping
    -----------

Don't wait for them to stop anytime soon. They started gripping the moment they came out of their mother's womb and haven't stopped since. It's doubtful they know any other way of life but to constantly gripe about someone or something.

November 30, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. billie

I'n no economist, just a woman who used to get three good meals for 5 kids off one chicken and a load of veggies. Seems to me that it wouldn't gurt to levy a oenny or two on each item imported into the USA – it would not really hurt anyone and would pay off the deficit pretty darned fast. Wsal-mart would bleat, but who cares?

November 30, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. NameFrank Deery

Obama, who spent his last three years campaigning, knows nothing else. Sell the snake-oil, like Bill Clinton. With 15 days before Congress goes on Holiday, why isn't Obama in DC, liberal-media???? You helped an incompetent President win a second term. Watch him destroy our economy.

November 30, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

A True American

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, 99.9% of the top 1% didn't EARN their wealth – they INHERITED it. Hard work is the responsibliity of those who toil their fingers to the bone for table scraps in order to keep the pockets of the wealthy full.

November 30, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Critical Thinking

I really enjoyed all of the comments from those of you who will never attain the american dream because you are waiting for the government to make it happen for you. Maybe you should send President Obama a letter and ask if you can go on holiday vacation with him during his families 3 weeks of tax payer paid time in Hawaii, I'm sure he would take you all along. Enjoy the holidays, I know I will.

November 30, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. A True American

@ Rudy NYC

Where did I say that we shouldn't help victims of natural disasters or tragedies? Oh, that's right, I didn't, because I was referring people who expect cradle-to-grave government assistance because they don't want to put in the effort to contribute to society, not folks who find themselves at the mercy of circumstances beyond their control.

November 30, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Ed1

Rudy in NY,

As always you get it wrong.

Sandy was covered by insurance not lowering the standards by the Democrats so everyone could get the American Dream when they couldn't afford it. If you couldn't afford insurance they you might not should have a house in the first place. My first house I had to put down 20% and show the banks I could afford the payments but that then and here we are now blaming Bush for just being stupid. Dodd and Frank were the leaders in getting the standards to drop so anybody could get a loan.

I could go on and on about some of your current and past comments but I don't think you would still get it.

November 30, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. Morpunkt

Obama wants us to fall off the fiscal cliff, if the GOP refuses his complete compliance. That way, he will have the press to back him up on his plan B, which will be to gain more congressional seats , for total dictatorship in 2014.

November 30, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  22. A True American

@ Malory Archer, who wrote "99.9% of the top 1% didn't EARN their wealth – they INHERITED it."

Tell that to doctors and lawyers and small business people who bust their tails to create wealth for THEMSELVES.

November 30, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

-Critical Thinking

********************************************
    Not interesting, either. What is interesting is your arrogance is assuming that he must not care for women because you can't see a pink bracelet. What have you done to support the fight against breast cancer, or do you just tell the dying how much money you make and that its too bad they won't see a dime of it? Your name is a study in irony, and your post examples of self-indulgent blather. BTW, I achieved all of your goals in half the time, so I find you a lazy, contemptible loser.

November 30, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. KLARGAR

For all the right wing imbeciles on this thread, the ultra wealthy have been sitting on literally trillions of dollars for the last 12 years they have not been investing in new companies or creating jobs with that wealth but have it in strategic investments to conserve and basically hoard the wealth. Corporations have been doing the same thing,with a higher marginal tax rate there is an incentive to invest in riskier investments ie: create new busineses with the concurrent jobs. Low tax rates do not equal job creation we have seen this at work. Trickle down economics and low tax rates did not work under Reagan and they did not work under Bush and they still do not work. Get the traitors who have signed on with Grover and run them out of Congress on a rail. FDR after the depression brought forth the New Deal the Republicans want to replace it with the Raw Deal.

November 30, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. Woman In California

A True American wrote:

--–
    Yes, we've seen YOUR version of a "True American" and IT left us with plenty of dead and wounded bodies, trillion dollar deficits, high unemployment, foreclosures and 1st time welfare recipients (through no fault of their own). Please True American do us all a favor and take your patriotism back to North Korea-most of us want no part of it.

November 30, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |