Good cheer, perhaps, but no cliff talks scheduled for White House holiday party
December 3rd, 2012

Good cheer, perhaps, but no cliff talks scheduled for White House holiday party

(CNN) – White House Press Secretary Jay Carney wouldn't speculate Monday on any potential fiscal cliff negotiating at a White House holiday reception scheduled for later in the day Monday.

The annual gathering for members of Congress - including House Speaker John Boehner - is meant to be a social occasion, rather than a working session, and Carney said President Barack Obama was looking forward to it.

"I don't have a schedule for you on the president's conversations," Carney said when asked about party by CNN chief White House correspondent Jessica Yellin. "He looks forward to the event tonight, but I don't have any specifics for you. It's true that every member of Congress has been invited, and he looks forward to the event."

A spokesman for Boehner confirmed the Republican speaker was planning to attend the White House party Monday evening.

Obama and Boehner spoke by phone last Wednesday for 28 minutes, sources said. Their last in-person meeting to work out a plan to avoid the fiscal cliff came on November 16.

Those conversations have apparently yielded little progress - Boehner said Sunday the two sides were "nowhere" on negotiating a deal to avoid the tax hikes and spending cuts that would go into effect at the year's end.

"We've put a serious offer on the table by putting revenues up there to try to get this question resolved, but the White House has responded with virtually nothing," Boehner said on "Fox News Sunday," adding the reason negotiations are going so poorly is that Obama administration officials - in particular, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner - aren't taking Republicans seriously.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh and Greg Clary contributed to this report.

Filed under: Fiscal Cliff • John Boehner • President Obama
  1. Sueb

It's at just such an event where some kind of deal could be brokered.....however, knowing this obstructionist republican congress; they'll probably boycott the event just so that can't happen!!

December 3, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  2. Woman In California

adding the reason negotiations are going so poorly is that Obama administration officials – in particular, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner – aren't taking Republicans seriously.
    -------
    And neither am I. For the past two weeks, when there is any coverage of Boehner, I just mute my television. I am so sick of the town drunk and his failure to understand "the games are over"-the president has won and the American people have spoken. There is just too much at stake to continue with this disrespectful, unnecessary attitude. Boehner is a joke and so is his party, if they seriously think they can keep going down this route. Someone please give this whimp a carton of his favorite drink and send him back to the bars where he belongs, as he certainly serves no purpose in Washington.

December 3, 2012 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. plain&simple

Serious offer????? You put revenue on the table....pretty bare table! Which revenues? Mortgage deduction? What else? Tell us please!!! It's like someone coming over to dinner and saying I'll bring food,then showing up with peanuts.... Come on bonehead,don't play the populas like that....we deserve leadership not bs!!!! You may laugh at the President making an offer,at the very least it gave specifics.

December 3, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. kevin

It matters not if they ever agree. The simple truth is the government can never, ever collect enough taxes, tariffs, duties, etc. to pay for this oversized, bloated federal government. Simple logic: the government not only needs to collect enough money for the budget it must also collect more money to pay the debt and it can't be done. So say I make $500,000 but my debts are $2 million. I have to spend more of income to pay debt and I have less money to live on. If I use my income strictly to live on I can never pay off my debt. Hence we have what? BANKRUPTCY!!!!! When your debt goes far beyond what you are capable of earning you will never, ever be out of debt. If i was the republicans let them have their tax hike on the evil rich. They can only collect enough to run the government for 1 month.

December 3, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. CanadaONE

"Bush Budget Cuts Destroy Republican Party"

that is how history will account for the demise of the Republican Party

- they lost the latino vote
    - they lost the black vote
    - they lost the famale vote
    - and after the GOP do not protect the 98% from the tax increase the GOP will have lost the white male vote

if the the GOP fail to protect the 98% watch how many Republicans run as Independents in 2014

most of them will still loose as their challanger only needs to tie them to the Republicans – they have enough news clips to do that

December 3, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  6. Guest

No reason for continued negotiation, your clueless leader is doing a twitter q & a, that should solve our nations fiscal/debt crisis.....or not! Obama has no business being the president.

December 3, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. Dan5404

Get Boehner drunk and he'll sign a deal. He pretty much has to, anyhow.

December 3, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. Jerry

With 54 Christmas tress in the white house tell me all about fiscal restraint Mr Obama

December 3, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't see a counter proposal to Obama's plan. I thought that the Speaker understood this, but I guess that I am wrong about this level of understanding that he has.

December 3, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

2004 Bush 50.6%, Kerry 49% – difference of 1.6%
    Republicans declare landslide. Bush declares mandate.

2012 Obama 50.9%, Romney 47.0% – difference of 3.6%
    Republicans declare close election, deny Obama has any mandate.

Any questions or denials out there?

December 3, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Woman In California

Guest

Well, he is the president. Not only is he qualified, but (he qualified twice) making him far more intelligent than you are or could ever hope to be.

December 3, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |