Cheney to co-author 'medical memoir'
December 4th, 2012

Cheney to co-author 'medical memoir'

(CNN) – Former vice president Dick Cheney, who has suffered at least five heart attacks since the late 1970s, will co-author a medical memoir with his cardiologist and daughter Liz Cheney, publishing company Scribner said Tuesday.

Cheney, 71, had his first heart attack in June 1978 at age 37, to be followed by heart attacks in 1984, 1988, 2000, and 2010. His 2000 heart attack occurred shortly after that year's election, when he won the vice presidency.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

He had a successful heart transplant in March of this year.

The publisher described him as "one of the most prominent and well-known cardiac patients in the world."

The book will be co-authored by Dr. Jonathan Reiner, who practices at George Washington University Hospital and teaches at the university's medical center in Washington, D.C. The collaboration will allow for an "intimate understanding of the disease from a patient's perspective, and through Dr. Reiner, a physician's view of the particular problems of dealing with a disease both chronic and acute," Scribner's president Susan Moldow wrote in a statement.

In his 2011 memoir "In My Time," the former vice president described his first heart attack.

He had awoken at 2:00 a.m. with a tingling in his hand. His wife drove him to the Cheyenne Memorial Hospital, and sitting in the waiting room after having passed out, "I couldn't help but think of my grandfather, my mother's father, who had had heart disease and had suffered his last heart attack in our home. Heart attacks ran in my family, and I knew they were serious business."

"Here I was, thirty-seven years old and a heart patient, wondering if I might have to give up my campaign and my hoped-for career in politics," he continued.

He described how "the tobacco companies supplied free cartons of cigarettes to the Nixon and Ford White Houses," where he had served, and was eventually "going through two or three packs a day."

The book is slated for publication in the fall of 2013.

– CNN's Gregory Wallace and Kevin Bohn contributed to this report

Filed under: Dick Cheney
  1. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

This guy has a heart?

December 4, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Larry in Houston

LOL – Sounds like this guy refuses to go Down – He's had a heart transplant – I must say – The good Lord must still want him around –

"""the tobacco companies supplied free cartons of cigarettes to the Nixon and Ford White Houses," where he had served, and was eventually "going through two or three packs a day""

To be perfectly honest – I drive past "Haliburton" just about every day . Everytime I pass that place, I think to myself : I wonder when he is going to get another Government contract, for his cause, or something. I guess as long as there isn't a war going on, Haliburton will end up with a skeleton crew.

December 4, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Who cares? I don't want to hear about Cheney unless he's being brought up on war crimes.

December 4, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  4. Gurgyl

Is this idiot alive still??? Idiot.

December 4, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. rs

This ought to be hoot, this guy has had a free medical ride the whole way. He is the poster boy for free "socialized" medicine.

December 4, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Does this mean that the meeting between him and his Maker is imminent, I hope?
    I most certainly said it.

December 4, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. Larry in Houston

@ Dutch/Bad Newz, VA – war crimes ?? LOL – him / bush / & paulson – if you shrunk then down to size, placed them in a bag, the first one who came out , would be the same as the other 2 . Alcatraz ( if it were still open) In my opinion, ( for Life ) and no parole)

December 4, 2012 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Mick

Cheney did not "win the V-P." The Supreme Court conferred the office to him in light of the difficulty of Floridians to count their ballots.

December 4, 2012 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. GI Joe

Let him write it from jail.

December 4, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. Larry in Houston

@ Dutch/Bad Newz, VA – war crimes ?? LOL – him / bush / & paulson – if you shrunk them down to size, placed them in a bag, the first one who came out , would be the same as the other 2 . Alcatraz ( if it were still open) In my opinion, ( for Life ) and no parole

December 4, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Babyboomer

He looks like pure evil to me.

December 4, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. Price Luber

Yes. Cheney is a war criminal and should be given an all-expenses paid trip to the Hague.

December 4, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  13. CommonSense 12

Who cares what he or his crazy daughter do? He's a liar and still not following the lead of his former boss...instead his out in the public more.....retire will you please?

December 4, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Me IN HOUSTON

....this guy just won't take a hint.

December 4, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. John

By pricing out all of your heart procedures, you cost the American taxpayer about 3 million $;s for your health care costs despite the fact that you were on the government dole, while you could afford not to be.....But of course you were against Obamacare........for all of the poor....................since you were well provided for...................

December 4, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. Hokkun Aagorhosa

Wow!!!! I cannot believe that anyone will read this guy's book. He is history and he ruined the country. My goodness, what a shame. This guy shamed all the Americans and America is ashamed to having a person like this idiot.

December 4, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. don in albuquerque

And if you think you could afford this same treatment, well..........All this on the American Tax Payers dole and we never even got kissed.

December 4, 2012 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Atasha

Stay healthy former vice president Dick Cheney, you are a honorable MAN

December 4, 2012 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  19. Squigman

The winner, and new champion for the story about the person that no one cares about goes to? Yep, you guessed it. CNN, and the story of Cheney. A new age Dracula, with no heart and no soul. He attains a new heart, but there's still a hole where the soul should be.

December 4, 2012 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  20. Former Republican, now an Independent

Cheney needs to understand that no one believes anything that has his name tied to it, even a book on medical issues. After his many deceptions of the American people, he would be well advised to just sink into the deepest part of Wyoming, never to be heard from again.

December 4, 2012 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  21. norma jean

Being as charitable to Cheney as is possible....I can't,, as an avid reader,,, understand why anyone would write this kind of book and why anyone would want to read it!!!!!

December 4, 2012 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  22. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I didn't think that anyone would care except his family.

December 4, 2012 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  23. The Unsub

he is living on borrowed time!

December 5, 2012 12:46 am at 12:46 am |