Two new polls suggest support for possible 2nd Clinton WH bid
December 5th, 2012

Two new polls suggest support for possible 2nd Clinton WH bid

Washington (CNN) - Run Hillary, run.

That's the message from two new polls about a much talked about hypothetical bid for the White House in 2016 by soon-to-be out going Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Fifty-seven percent of Americans questioned in an ABC News Washington Post poll released Wednesday say they'd back such a run, if Clinton changes her mind and decides to become a presidential candidate again, with 37% saying they'd oppose such a bid.

Clinton has repeatedly said that she intends to retire to private life once her successor as secretary of state is confirmed by the Senate, and she's added that another run for the White House is not in the cards for her.

"Look, I'm flattered. I am honored," she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer this year about calls by other Democrats for her to consider another run in 2016. "That is not in the future for me, but obviously I'm hoping that I'll get to cast my vote for a woman running for president of our country."

The poll indicates a gender gap, with 66% of women supporting any possible White House run by Clinton. That number drops to 49% among men. There's also the obvious partisan divide: 73% of Democrats would back a Clinton candidacy, but that drops to 23% among Republicans. Fifty-nine percent of independents say they would support a Clinton presidential run.

According to the poll, two-thirds of Americans have a favorable view of Clinton and 68% approve of the job she's doing as the nation's top diplomat.

Meanwhile, a majority of New Yorkers say they would like to see Hillary Clinton run for president again.

According to a Siena College Research Institute survey also released Wednesday, 75% of Empire State voters say they have a favorable impression of Clinton, who represented her adopted home state of New York for eight years in the U.S. Senate. That's Clinton's highest favorable rating ever in a Siena survey.

By a 54%-39% margin, New Yorkers say she should run for president in four years. In 2008, then Sen. Clinton lost an epic Democratic presidential nomination battle to then Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois. Obama nominated Clinton as his secretary of state after winning the 2008 general election.

New York Poll: Clinton yes, Cuomo no, on White House runs

The Siena College Research Institute poll was conducted November 26-29, with 822 registered voters in New York State questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3.4 percentage points.

The ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted Nov. 28-Dec. 2, with 1,020 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus four percentage points.

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Hillary Clinton
  1. Data Driven

I like Clinton, but no more Clintons (or Bushes!) In the White House, please. Not because I'm worried about the dynastic implications of having the same two families occupying the Executive branch in endless alternating cycles. Rather, I prefer variety in our oligarchic overloads. A multiplicity of "royal families" are more interesting and fun than just the two over and over.

December 5, 2012 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  2. Gurgyl

I love Clinton's–no where comparison Stands ground with Bush the thrushes. Yes, on Hillary 2016.

December 5, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Larry in Houston

WoW – I honestly don't know how you all at CNN can do it – I couldn't capture photos like that, if my life depended on it – I predict She's going to say No – even when it's time when everybody "throws their "hat" into the ring" so to speak –
    I could be wrong – but I'm predicting that she will wait til the last month, ( right before the deadline ) before she finally decides. By that time, she will know who's actually IN – and who the Voters are really serious about – AND IF the Dems don't have anybody with real credibility, or anybody who cannot defeat a republican – believe me , she will be a shoe in – and if I may add, she will end up being "endorsed" by people like colin powell / mayor bloomberg , and countless other millionaires & billionaires. If she can keep Bill Busy on his C.G.I. thing, ( Clinton Global Initiative ) and Just take a few "hints" or shall I say "advice" from him – we can "possibly" have a surplus by the end of her term.

December 5, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. ST

People abroad do not understand at all Americans. They think the obsession of who is running next immediately after one is in, doesn't make any sense. They think that we concentrate much on voting for someone and win, without of what they do for us.

December 5, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  5. Rick McDaniel

Fools rush in.

Here's a news flash........Clinton would be far WORSE than Obama...........and while that might be hard to believe, I absolutely think that would be the case.

December 5, 2012 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. Evangenital

Put me on top of the 49% of men that want Hillary for President. Ready and willing and eager to help her with money!

December 5, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. Bill

If she runs, the GOP is in for a ride. She will assemble a campaign team second to none and have a fundraising apparatus that will blow the Republicans away. But look at the bright side GOP'ers, this gives you until 2024 to find a respectable presidential candidate.

December 5, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. mcskadittle

The GOP canidate will lose again if she runs

December 5, 2012 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  9. Randy, San Francisco

Hillary will be the first woman to become President of the US in 2016. The GOP/Tea Party will run the same cast of uninspiring of candidates, extreme and lacking. Hillary has the character, political skills, temperament, and smarts to be a great president.

December 5, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

I wish she would aim for 2016. The response from the right would prove to be quite interesting. Circumstances have changed since 2008. The left has been pushing the idea of a right wing war on women, which didn't exist in 2008. I think the Republicans are actually phony enough to prop up a female candidate of their own. Having two women at the top of each ticket would really be a sign that we live in a new era.

December 5, 2012 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  11. tammyk tammy

I voted for Hillary in 2008 as a write-in and would be thrilled to vote for her in 2016. At this point, she definitely needs to take a break and enjoy life for a couple of years, but hopefully after getting some well-deserved R&R she will feel rejuvenated, energized, and ready to make her bid in 2016. History is hers for the making if she choses to do so. Also we will welcome Bill back as they are the ultimate twofer team. Hillary has earned my support in whatever she decides.

December 5, 2012 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  12. Me IN HOUSTON

FOR THE LAST TIME, HILLARY CLINTON SAID SHE IS NOT GOING TO RUN!!!
    it would be REALLY nice if she did. I would be all for it. I would even campaign with her
    BUT SHE SAID SHE AIN'T RUNNING
    I want her to run...she would probably win

December 5, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. Larry in Houston

go to the "cafferty file" and see how many hits she's had on google – see for yourself.

December 5, 2012 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. Expat American

It would be something if Hillary Clinton ran for President. She would win handily; given the terminal condition the GOP will be in after losing big in 2014.

December 5, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  15. Sniffit

Slow news day, eh CNN?

December 5, 2012 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Remember, we can always write her name in, wouldn't that be a hoot. Run Hillary run, atleast give us one term.

December 5, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. Wake up People!

Why is there talk EVERYDAY about Hillary running in 2016 even as she says she 's not? We just ended a very grueling campaign season and we're talking about another one? I hope you guys aren't disappointed when she doesn't run. After all, she is telling you now.

If she does change her mind, that's good news. She is very intelligent and a likable person. It's her Hilary "democrats" I have a problem with. I can't forget how so many voted AGAINST President Obama because they wanted Hilary. I know it's childish, but I want to do the same thing to them. So I have 4 years to decide..... The 2008 primaries left a heck of a bad taste in my mouth. It has taken me years to like Hilary again.

December 5, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Squigman

She would do a great job. Please don't underestimate her in any way, shape or form. Her ability to take the lead in any situation has been proven, time and again. She'd do a great job.

December 5, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  19. Sniffit

"But look at the bright side GOP'ers, this gives you until 2024 to find a respectable presidential candidate."

The GOP's next "respectable presidential candidate" hasn't even been born yet.

December 5, 2012 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  20. Dave

Seriously? This country would want to elect another from the Bush-Clinton crime families? Sad state we are in. Get informed.

December 5, 2012 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  21. kevobx

Peace and safety, pride and prosperity are the gods of the world. So far 2012 has become a year of sudden destruction. Grace and truth is Christ. (*2nd Kings 23:35 And Jeholakim gave the silver and the gold to Pharaoh; but he taxed the land to give the money according to the commandment of Pharaoh: he expected the silver and the gold of the people of the land, of every one according to his taxation, to give it unto Pharaoh-nechoh.). *Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. *Daniel 11:20 Then shall stand up in his estate a raiser of taxes in the glory of the kingdom: but within few days he shall be destroyed, neither in anger, nor in battle.

December 5, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  22. Rick in OP

Great news! If she runs for president maybe she will finally explain why the State Department denied the repeated requests from Ambassador Stevens for additional security in Libya.

December 5, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. Pander Bear

If she runs, she's got my vote.

December 5, 2012 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  24. kevobx

Peace and safety, pride and prosperity have become the media's choice of topics worldwide. Devices have shut up the world making them dumb. The book of life saves a remnant. Facebook enslaves millions of people

December 5, 2012 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. freedom

After four years of this corrupt administration, that she has been an integral part of, incidentally, this country will be ready for a huge break from democrats. And how is it that she'll distance herself from the destructive policies to our economy and national security, and her lies about Benghazi?? Standing over the flag draped caskets of the murdered ambassador and servicemen, and saying it was over a video?? Disturbing and chilling that anyone could lie at a moment like that.

December 5, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |