First on CNN: Priebus launches RNC re-election bid
December 6th, 2012
1 year ago

First on CNN: Priebus launches RNC re-election bid

Washington (CNN) – Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus formally launched his re-election campaign Thursday in a letter and YouTube video sent to the 168-member committee.

In the letter, provided to CNN by a GOP source, Priebus touts his fundraising success since taking over the committee and its $24 million debt burden in early 2011.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

And in a warning shot to any potential challengers, Priebus writes that he has the votes of more than 150 RNC members locked down. Only 85 votes are needed to win the chairmanship.

Former Rep. J.C. Watts and former RNC Chairman Michael Steele have both hinted at challenging Priebus after Republicans failed to defeat President Obama in November, but neither Republican has taken any serious steps toward mounting a campaign.

Read Priebus' full letter to the RNC below:

I am formally announcing my campaign for a second term as RNC Chairman today. As I mentioned to you be email just before Thanksgiving, I appreciate the strong support by so many of the RNC members. I am humbled to have over 150 members pledge their public endorsement to me for a second term.

This is not a decision I made lightly, but we have unfinished business and our country and Party need our leadership over these next two years. We were able to accomplish a great deal these past two years, and I have not forgotten just how much work we had to do when I was first elected. Over those two years we lifted the RNC out of the over $24 million of debt, we restored donor confidence and fielded one of the strongest Republican ground games in the history of our Party.

With that said, we have to do more. That is why I am running. I am running to build upon those accomplishments so that we can continue to grow the Party and unite as a Party based on our strong conservative principles and love of country. Just like two years ago, there is much to do, but I am excited about it and know we can accomplish our goals together.

My bid for reelection is a continuation of my pledge to work day in and day out for our country and our Party. Please know that I am grateful for each and every one of you. I look forward to talking with you over the next weeks and visiting with you at the RNC Winter Meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Together, we will move our Party forward and improve upon all that we accomplished over the past two years.

Again, I want to thank all of you for your support and all of your hard work.

God Bless!

Reince

Filed under: Reince Priebus • RNC
  1. Rudy NYC

Wow. In many ways, DC politics is more likely to give you concussion than playing football.

December 6, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. Squigman

The republican party will always be a joke, as long as this pinhead is the supposed leader.

December 6, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Rick McDaniel

Didn't show me much.

He should be glad I have no say-so.

December 6, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. Chief

You have no shame.You accomplished nothing save breeding insulting and failing Gop.
    You do not deserve a Second term.

December 6, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Thomas

Great News !

Reince Priebus is the best America has ?

December 6, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. Gregory M. Newbold

I really could not care less about improving the RNC but I don`t see how the Republican Party can claim to hold success in high regard, deride women or minority achievers as lacking qualifications, or tout itself as believing in a MERITOCRACY if the rehire Priebus. The man failed MISERABLY.

The GOP lost House of Rep seats, lost seat in the Senate & didn`t gain the majority when everyone on Faux News was crowing that they would, and the GOP lost the Presidency in a HUMILIATING electoral landslide. In what alternate universe is this success?

Micheal Steele was a bit full of himself when he was RNC Chairman [by effectively thinking he was Mr. Obama`s equal] but at least he was SUCCESFUL in 2010 for the GOP`s gain in the H-of-R. He`s probably a better leader to drag the GOP into the multi-cultural future required for its survival. It`s time to abandon the Southern Startegy of race-based appeals that have define the GOP since the days of Lee Atwater.

December 6, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. Bill

Well, let's see... the Repubs lost the White and lost seats in the Senate and House. By all means, reelect this bozo so the Democrats can pick up more seats in the mid-terms.

December 6, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Kevin1

Please keep this man at the RNC. RNC PR BS. Is what Renicy gave and we the Forward thinking American
    will give him and the RNC another wuppin come 2014.

Renicy remember your Women Caterpillar story.
    Now, your the caterpillar and the Anerican people
    have a WAR on you and your Backwards party.

How that "I Want This President To Fail" working out
    for you. Ha ha ha!

December 6, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. ST

This man is thanking RNC members for their hard work. Can they say the same to him? I do not think so.

December 6, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. Patriot Awesome

Did he write that letter on opposite day?

December 6, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  11. Roger

This is the best the RNC can come up with? This man has no shame and if the Republican party wants to come into the 21st century, they'd better find someone who can help lead them there and not continue to retreat back to the "good old days" when white men could win every election for them.

December 6, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. John

Take out the vowels and you get

RNC PR BS

December 6, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  13. NATHAN WIMBERLY

May as well ride him to the end in 2014.

December 6, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. Rick in AZ

Please, please, please re-elect this doofus. A guaranteed win for the Democrats.

December 6, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  15. Laverne

According to your republicans, the debt burden one inherits does not matter at all so why does he deserve to be re-elected, surely he does not expect the GOP to vote against their own standard, but of course they will because they play by another set of rules!

December 6, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. Freeman

November 5, 2012. "I feel great. I'll feel even better tomorrow." Arrogant sob.

December 6, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. Wilson

Very ineffective. Needs to go away.

December 6, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. Larry in Houston

if the GOP is smart – they will get rid of reince pubus , and bring back steele, at least steele was successful in the 2010 gop's gain in the house, where obama took a shellacking. Oh well – it doesn't matter anyway – what the hell do I know – by the time the mid-terms rolls around in 2014, I think the conservative party ( GOP ) will be on it's way out – too bad really, they used to be a 1/2 way decent party – but they got Hi-Jacked by the tea party, and far right & evangelicals / not to mention Norquist / in addition to the "F" word news network, (with all their cronies) which is nothing more than a right wing propaganda machine, and NOT News. Eisenhower is probably rolling in his grave -

December 6, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  19. Mark in Seattle

Rience Priebus. Isn't that what you do on a bidet? Stole that from someone else. Give credit where credit is due.

December 6, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. Facts don't Lie

Priebus could not even deliver his own state for the Republicans in 2012...all he can do is talk trash about the president and other Democrats as long as he is safely away from them while doing so. They might as well appoint Sarah Palin to the position because she does the very same thing, only somewhat looks better while doing it. And I do stress SOMEWHAT!

December 6, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. Gotta Be Kiddin

Patriot Awesome
    Did he write that letter on opposite day?

LOL!

December 6, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. BlkPwr817

I say he needs a 2nd term. Would be a slam dunk for Hillary or whoever else gets the Dem. nominee in 2016. This guy is clueless IMO.

December 6, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Charles W. Skinner

An appropriate response is the cruelest word in the English language:

December 6, 2012 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. Sniffit

Yawn. The guy is a such a smarmy little punk. Hey, GOP/Teatrolls, I dunno if you've noticed, but you're having a wee bit of a problem with your image. You might want to find yourselves someone who doesn't come across as such a complete d-ckhole.

December 6, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  25. realitybites

New campaign slogan reminiscent of Schmuckers. "With a name like Priebus, it's got to be......us well I haven't gotten that far yet. I was thinking of words like snipey, pernicious, surley, whiney, disrespectful, smarmy, grifty. a joke. Anyone else care to add to the list. We need to get this submitted before tomorrw by 5pm or Denice will be upset.

December 6, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |