Booker says Christie 'vulnerable' in re-election bid
December 10th, 2012

Booker says Christie 'vulnerable' in re-election bid

(CNN) – He hasn't yet announced whether he'll make his own bid for New Jersey governor, but Newark Mayor Cory Booker claimed Monday his potential rival, Republican incumbent Chris Christie, is politically out of alignment with voters in the Garden State.

"Christie is vulnerable, as it should be, because there's a lot of issues in the state he's not falling in line with," Booker, a Democrat, said on CNN's "Starting Point with Soledad O'Brien." "From women's issues, environmental issues, from really going in a balanced way."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Booker was responding to a question about polls that show him behind Christie in a potential gubernatorial matchup. The latest, from Rutgers University, was taken November 14-17 and showed Christie with a nineteen-point lead over the Newark mayor.

That falls in line with other polls showing Christie ahead of potential Democratic challengers. The Republican's approval ratings spiked following his response to superstorm Sandy, which devastated parts of his state when it blew through at the end of October.

New Jersey, along with Virginia, holds an election for governor in 2013.

Booker said Monday he wasn't looking only at running for governor – he also has his eye on the U.S. Senate. Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg, who will turn 89 in January, is up for re-election in 2014.

"I'm putting a lot of people I trust around me, trying to make the decision based simply on this: where I think I can make the most difference in the city I love and the state I love and the nation I pledged my life to."

On Sunday, Booker said on CBS that he'd make a decision on running for governor in the next two weeks, saying there were many good Democratic candidates in his state that are waiting for his announcement.

"I have got to give my party and be a part of my party's push forward, whether it's with me as a candidate or with supporting other candidates for that office," he said.

Other Democrats considering bids for New Jersey governor are state Sen. Richard Codey – who served as governor for 14 months following the November 2004 resignation of then-Gov. Jim McGreevey – as well as State Sen. Barbara Buono and Assembly members Lou Greenwald and John Wisniewski.

Filed under: Chris Christie • Cory Booker
  1. Dave

Maybe Christie can win by eating his opponent.

December 10, 2012 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  2. Kelby in Houston, TX

To: Cory Booker

Going against Gov. Christie in the next election would be a waist of time and money. Let some other guy be the Democrats sacrificial lamb to the slaughter. Christie's display of bipartisanship has locked up the next election. Pack it in and wait of the next one

December 10, 2012 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  3. anonymous

Dear Mr. Booker – It would be a waste of money – depends on what christie has done for the people in N.J. – if he's done things that go their way – then he's pretty much got it locked up -

December 10, 2012 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  4. Babyboomer

@Kelby. I totally agree. Love the Mayor but I think Christie's bi-partisan leadership during Hurricane Sandy gets him another term as governor.

December 10, 2012 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  5. Larry L

Christie looked good during the storm and showed his ability to defend the people of New Jersey. He'd make a miserable President because he lacks to diplomacy, the the emotional maturity, and frankly, the appearance of the head of the most powerful nation on earth. He's quite likely to face a very early health crisis due to his morbid obesity.

December 10, 2012 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. PJ

Never heard of Booker! He doesn't stand a chance against Christie.

December 10, 2012 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  7. Wake up People!

Let it go Mayor Booker, it isn't your time yet. They will reelect Crispy Kreme and you will be slaughtered. Maybe once they put him in the White House. If he'll fit.

December 10, 2012 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake up People!

-------------------------------------------------
    Please get out of my head babe!!
    LOL!!!!!

December 10, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  9. East of Eden

Booker is a media hound that will do anything to stay in the news. He has a good heart though, have to respect him for going into the burning building.

December 10, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. Rick McDaniel

Dems will demand power in every place in the country, and will go after it, because that's all they are after........the POWER!

December 10, 2012 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Steven Colo

Well, that sounds like Booker's planning to run. Pity – I like him and Christie and would hope they'd both be able to stay in office.

Odumbama – what are you smoking? Booker has dropped crime rates, revitalized the city, and swept out the previous corrupt administration. He's also saved a couple of lives. THAT'S what he's done for Newark. If you can't appreciate that, you're hopeless.

December 10, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Booker should wait and run in the race for the Senate seat that should be opening up in 2014. Christie is going to be hard to beat because people remember what he did during Sandy and not his "bully, my way or the highway" attitude with many groups like teachers as an example. I don't think that he can really seperate the union from the group that they represent. There are other things that Christie has done that don't make sense either.

December 10, 2012 10:22 am at 10:22 am |