Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency
December 12th, 2012

Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie pushed back at critics doubting his ability to lead because of his weight, calling it "ridiculous" to say he couldn't be president because of his size.

Though Christie admitted to ABC's Barbara Walters he's "more than a little" overweight in an interview released in part Wednesday, when asked if his size could hinder his ability to run for the White House he said "I don't know what the basis for that is."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've done this job pretty well, and I think people watched me for the last number of weeks in Hurricane Sandy doing 18 hour days and getting right back up the next day and still being just as effective in the job, so I don't really think that would be a problem," he said of his weight.

Following a grueling campaign schedule touting former Republican nominee Mitt Romney's White House credentials in the 2012 election cycle, Christie, a popular and candid conservative, was seriously considered by Romney's campaign as a potential running mate before the Republican standard bearer chose Rep. Paul Ryan from Wisconsin.

And with soaring approval ratings following his widely lauded response to Superstorm Sandy, which wreaked havoc on the East Coast, the Republican governor is rumored to be mulling a run for the White House in 2016.

Christie announced in November he would seek a second term as New Jersey's governor, citing more work to be done to rehabilitate his state in the aftermath of the storm.

"I felt like it just wasn't right to leave that question unanswered. And so, it's answered. I'm running. I'm in this race. I'm in this race to win," he said after filing for re-election. "I love this job more than any other job I've had in my life, and I don't see any reason to leave it voluntarily."

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Chris Christie
  1. Anonymous

It's the Liberal media's fault Chris Christie is too fat?
    Can't say I saw that one coming.

December 13, 2012 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  2. Mattski

The basis is, you can't lead on issues of health, healthy living, and healthcare when you're obese.

December 13, 2012 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. Wake up People!

@Joe. Surely you jest. Only liberals make fun or light of people because of weight or race??? Where have you been for the past 4 years??? President Obama has been called every negative name in the world by the REPUBLICANS. Does Muslim, Kenyan, marxist, darkie, boy, communist, socialist, and others that I can't name ring a bell? People have criticized him for being too skinny. There have been photos photoshopped of him with a bone through his nose. But that's not racist? What about the people that call our First Lady Moochelle??? They have the nerve to call her FAT when she has a very nice shape. And these same people praised Laura and Barbara Bush and neither of them were even close to a size 5.
    Get off your high horse. Christy is morbidly obese and he does need to lose weight, whether he runs for POTUS or not. It's about his health.

December 13, 2012 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  4. TatMan

well, here's a clue: when the Oval Office in the White House may need to be remodeled into a ginormous ROTUNDA to accommodate you, you're packing a few too many extra pounds...

December 13, 2012 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. Jan

Christie didn't want to admit the truth on TV, but he knows he is too heavy to be President, and that after giving it some serious thought, if he decides he wants to be President, he will be working on his weight over the next 4 years. After all, Bill Clinton, who loved(s) to eat was in much better shape than Christie, and he, like President Obama, went gray with STRRREEESSSSSS!!!! President Clinton also ended up needing HEART SURGERY. Governor Christie can't compare the management of one state with the management of this entire nation, especially when that management also involves global management. IF WE WILL ALL REMEMBER, CHRISTIE HAD HIS OWN STRESS MOMENT WITH PAIN IN HIS ARM, AND HE'S ONLY BEEN MANAGING NEW JERSEY!!!

December 13, 2012 09:31 am at 9:31 am |