Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency
December 12th, 2012

Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie pushed back at critics doubting his ability to lead because of his weight, calling it "ridiculous" to say he couldn't be president because of his size.

Though Christie admitted to ABC's Barbara Walters he's "more than a little" overweight in an interview released in part Wednesday, when asked if his size could hinder his ability to run for the White House he said "I don't know what the basis for that is."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've done this job pretty well, and I think people watched me for the last number of weeks in Hurricane Sandy doing 18 hour days and getting right back up the next day and still being just as effective in the job, so I don't really think that would be a problem," he said of his weight.

Following a grueling campaign schedule touting former Republican nominee Mitt Romney's White House credentials in the 2012 election cycle, Christie, a popular and candid conservative, was seriously considered by Romney's campaign as a potential running mate before the Republican standard bearer chose Rep. Paul Ryan from Wisconsin.

And with soaring approval ratings following his widely lauded response to Superstorm Sandy, which wreaked havoc on the East Coast, the Republican governor is rumored to be mulling a run for the White House in 2016.

Christie announced in November he would seek a second term as New Jersey's governor, citing more work to be done to rehabilitate his state in the aftermath of the storm.

"I felt like it just wasn't right to leave that question unanswered. And so, it's answered. I'm running. I'm in this race. I'm in this race to win," he said after filing for re-election. "I love this job more than any other job I've had in my life, and I don't see any reason to leave it voluntarily."

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Chris Christie
  1. Sniffit

He's not. He's just too stupid, ideological and incompetent. On the fat thing though, us liberals would do well to remember it and keep the fat jokes to a minimum if he runs. Given that the MSM's first rule of reporting is IOKIYAR, any attempts to give back the kind of nonsense the GOP/Teatrolls engaged in about Obama...such as "Ermagerd!!! What kind of message is teh POTUS sending to teh childrenz by being a smoker!!!???"...will only backfire and win Christie points, whereas the MSM virtually endorsed that kind fo crap when the GOP did it.

For now, however, I will continue to refer to him as Captain Teatubby the Bottomless Buffet Gnome.

December 12, 2012 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  2. Data Driven

Why not? That's what Vice Presidents are for. There's no provision in the Constitution that requires all Presidential candidates to be between 40 and 65 and not be any more than 30 lbs overweight.

It's Christie's policies with which I'll likely have a problem. He's right-wing, make no mistake.

December 12, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. lynn

If he doesn't care enough about his own health, how can he care about the Country's?

December 12, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Unh-huh.
    Five:
    That's the number of Secret Service agents it would take to blanket your body in the event of a shoot-out.
    Twenty:
    That's the number it would take to drag your body in the event that 5 was the wrong number.

December 12, 2012 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  5. 2012liberal

@dominican mama so true. Facts r facts. He wouldnt b allowed n2 the military.

December 12, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. 2012liberal

Heart attack n the making. Keep waiting 4 scilia and thomas scotus 2 stroke out!

December 12, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. Ann

DOMINICAN MAMA 4 OBAMA SAYS

Unh-huh.
    Five:
    Twenty:

THAT IS HILAROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 12, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

This is probably the most truthful thing I've heard coming out of this man's foul mouth yet. Hopefully, he loves all of his "constituents" as much as he loves himself.

At any rate, he is not someone I'd ever vote for. President or otherwise.

December 12, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. jkane sfl gop mascots the blubbering slobs allen west rover nitwitquest rick scott ,carl rove and donald dump ??????

Hey ,we have the m1 abrams tank ,who needs a limo and the secret service ,but you have to fit through the hatch ,weight watchers?????

December 12, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. Kelby in Houston, TX

"Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency"
    My opinion of Christie has softened over the past few weeks. He ain't as bad as I thought he was...still wouldn't vote for him...that being said,
    I say he is too heavy. That weight is not healthy. The weight of the office wears down men of better health than he. The stress that weight puts on his body combined with the stress of being POTUS would kill him. If he's serious about being POTUS, he would lose weight
    Still wouldn't vote for him

December 12, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Woman In California

calling it "ridiculous" to say he couldn't be president because of his size.

But it wasn't "ridiculous" to say Barak H. Obama COULDN'T be president because of his race?

December 12, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Taft 2.0 needs to quell his ambitions. The GOP will not have an administration in the White House for 2 more terms. You read it here first.

December 12, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  13. leftywriteagain

First diet tip, shed the GOP!

December 12, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Woman In California

Correction: In a hurry today. I meant Barack H. Obama.
    Sorry.

December 12, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. Brigham

He is a great leader unlike Obama but it is a valid question. Its a concern because fat people have lots of health issues and a shorter lifespan. He needs to make it a priority to take care of his health if not for himself for his wife and children. He is definitely not very conservative.

December 12, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. plain&simple

Liberals only segregate and discriminate against fat people.....It's ok to make jokes about them....they choose to be fat! Just like the alcoholic chooses to drink,or gays choose to be gay....right? Careful here or you might be just what you accuse the right wing bigots of being! Is it ok to make fat jokes???

December 12, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. LudwigVanB

If he'd just eat more veggies, get some exercise, clean up his act, and change parties ... Nah, he still wouldn't get my vote.

December 12, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  18. Former Republican, now an Independent

It's not his weight that we should be worried about, it' s his political views, which are all messed up.

December 12, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. Wake up People!

Right. And I'm a short, fat, white male. Christy you are HUGE. Add the stress of being POTUS and that's a recipe for disaster.

He could lose 200 lbs and I still wouldn't vote for him.

December 12, 2012 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

It takes discipline to be a President and it starts with yourself and Christie needs to show he has discipline by losing that weight. I like him but not that much of him, discipline is a factor.

December 12, 2012 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  21. Jay

Hey, he's just a guy with discipline issues!

December 12, 2012 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  22. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Yeah... Not too heavy. Too heavy handed, maybe, but...

December 12, 2012 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Babyboomer

I would never vote for him but not because of his size. There are too many overweight people in this country to discriminate in that way. It would strictly be because of his politics.

December 12, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  24. GonzoinHouston

He's not fat, he's "gravitationally superior". He did a great job in the Sandy aftermath, but that's not enough to win him the presidency. See Rudi Gulliani.

December 12, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  25. Laura518

His weight does matter. Between that, and the way he shoots of his mouth, it shows a complete lack of discipline that is needed for the highest office in the land. That makes him unfit for office (no pun intended)

December 12, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |