Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency
December 12th, 2012

Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie pushed back at critics doubting his ability to lead because of his weight, calling it "ridiculous" to say he couldn't be president because of his size.

Though Christie admitted to ABC's Barbara Walters he's "more than a little" overweight in an interview released in part Wednesday, when asked if his size could hinder his ability to run for the White House he said "I don't know what the basis for that is."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've done this job pretty well, and I think people watched me for the last number of weeks in Hurricane Sandy doing 18 hour days and getting right back up the next day and still being just as effective in the job, so I don't really think that would be a problem," he said of his weight.

Following a grueling campaign schedule touting former Republican nominee Mitt Romney's White House credentials in the 2012 election cycle, Christie, a popular and candid conservative, was seriously considered by Romney's campaign as a potential running mate before the Republican standard bearer chose Rep. Paul Ryan from Wisconsin.

And with soaring approval ratings following his widely lauded response to Superstorm Sandy, which wreaked havoc on the East Coast, the Republican governor is rumored to be mulling a run for the White House in 2016.

Christie announced in November he would seek a second term as New Jersey's governor, citing more work to be done to rehabilitate his state in the aftermath of the storm.

"I felt like it just wasn't right to leave that question unanswered. And so, it's answered. I'm running. I'm in this race. I'm in this race to win," he said after filing for re-election. "I love this job more than any other job I've had in my life, and I don't see any reason to leave it voluntarily."

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Chris Christie
  1. tracy

I think he sets a bad example for the kids . lol

December 12, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. Sam

Its takes a lot of guts anyway Christie and I suspect you have plenty of those.

December 12, 2012 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  3. Kevin

Whether or not you like Governor Christie, I think the argument that "he can barely take care of himself, how can he take care of the country?" is at best ignorant and at worst extremely prejudicial. What, do you think all overweight people are weak and untrustworthy?

People set impossible expectations about the men and women running for office, and then wonder why the people who do get elected end up violating them. If you don't like Christie, there are valid reasons to do so – don't degreade yourself by blaming his weight.

December 12, 2012 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. wjmccartan

Him Dem maybe, weight and I weight 290, carrying to much, gonna kill him early, I just hope everybody realizes the cost of that storm to the American people $ 100 Billion dollars, something has to change there big-time, America can't afford three of four of those a year. The land has to be redeveloped to b e able to withstand storms of this magnitude, as for New York well I feel that is something they build on the sea side. Big projects of massive scale and long term projects and you would employ thousands of peopLe, while building a country able to withstand the natural environment in which it exists, while saving the country possibly years of a trillion dollars to recover from natural phenomenons, its a good plan man, how much this year from natural disasters, well its almost 100 billion, so let's say during the year, I'll go low, 16o billions, ok five years, almost 1 trillion dollars, that a lot of your tax dollar, Well get on it I'm a Canadian so I have an excuse.

Lucid One

December 12, 2012 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  5. Rick McDoomsday

Weight of the president is not important as long as he can STOP Obama from his plan of being a dictator in the next 4 years. I just can not understand why more people can't see this.

December 12, 2012 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  6. Marie MD

@Dominican Mama, that was funny.
    Christie showed that he can work across the aisle because he needed help for his state. Just a few days before asking and showing up with the President he put him down saying that he couldn't find a light switch in a dark room.
    Look at the repug governor of Michigan. He campaigned that he wouldn't touch the right to work situation and the first thing he did was to sign the bill.
    I wouldn't trust a rethug as far as I can throw one and with Christie that would be impossible with 20 or more men!

December 12, 2012 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  7. iTALIAN NONNO

Republicans want smaller Government,..start with the President.

December 12, 2012 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@ Brigham: Christie is indeed a great leader unlike Obama. See, he's fat and Obama is not. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. :)

December 12, 2012 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. TomJay

After he submarined Romney going around photo shoots with Obama most republicans would not want him for dog catcher. Turn him over he's burnt....

December 12, 2012 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  10. Max

Image

Christie has an image problem. Honestly asking? How many Americans would be proud to have a president looking like Christie representing them on the world stage????????...and the problem is such an image can't be changed.

DUH!

December 12, 2012 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  11. ST

Firstly, how much does he weigh? Am pretty sure he can not say it publicly because everyone will say "HEY", which is the indication that is not normal in anyone's health. Secondly, before he is elected, he has to undergo a medical check up. I do not know what doctor will recommend he is physically fit and healthy for the job.

December 12, 2012 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  12. kswsting

A great leader of what Brigham? I would like everyone to keep in-mind that this is the very same guy who wants to return us to the days when the banks and too big to fail financial institutions ran roughshod and produced the worst financial crisis in 60 years. Governor Cristi would allow shadow banking practices go unchecked. There would be NO consumer protection. No capital requirements for banks. No winding down mechanism for giant financial institutions that go belly up. No regulation on the derivative markets. The banks would be able to continue to role the dice with your deposits like brokerage firms, but you wouldn't have given anyone permission. Is that what you want in your next President. Being overweight is the least of his problems. Christi wants the banks to take your money and purchase equities that they explicitly want to fail so they can make more money then they would have if those stocks flourished. These are call Credit Default Swaps folks. This means big payouts for failure. Christi wants to keep that whole system to function like the wild, wild west.

December 13, 2012 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  13. PADoc1

He turned red just trotting from a helicopter. If he thinks he could handle the slough of a three year campaign on the road... that's enough reason to see he's mentally unfit for the Presidency. Forget about the weight issue.

December 13, 2012 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  14. Kr55

Ever watch "married with children" when the fat ladies insist their feet can fit in a size 5? Dont ask fat people what they can and can't do... It's pointless.

December 13, 2012 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  15. ThinkAgain: All of the GOP's policies are PROVEN FAILURES

We've had tubbies in the Oval Office before, but seriously, I don't think Christie's going to make it to 2016 if he doesn't lose weight. I'd never vote for him, but as a fellow human being, Dude, lose some weight 'cuz you're headed toward heart-attack CITY!

December 13, 2012 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  16. kalksdjfalkjgakgqeiruqoihqkhglakgjaalkjqlwjrqi

if you listen to the health care people in this country, this is where you end up. don't blame the victim.

December 13, 2012 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  17. Barbra K

I do feel his weight would create a problem with him running/becoming President. It is a real health problem. Look at it this way.........he is subject to heart problems...he is subject to a stroke. He would not be doing the public a good service if he did not try to lose weight. From what I see and hear from him, he likes to eat (and it is obvious). He appears that he will not change his lifestyle and push away from the table. ABSOLUTELY..his weight would disqualify him from running for president.

December 13, 2012 02:59 am at 2:59 am |
  18. Al

He is MORBIDLY FAT, vulgar and a bully.

December 13, 2012 04:04 am at 4:04 am |
  19. LAguy

He's way too heavy for the GOP. They only pick lightweights.

December 13, 2012 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  20. beaverdambob

I wouldn't vote for him because he is overweight, I wouldn't vote for him because he is a republican. If he lost 200 lbs. and switched to a democrat, maybe I would consider him, maybe??????

December 13, 2012 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  21. kalksdjfalkjgakgqeiruqoihqkhglakgjaalkjqlwjrqi

stop eating corn and corn derivatives. stay away from antibiotics (unless you have to). get rid of yeast infections. stay away from oxalates. run, bike, swim.

December 13, 2012 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  22. Disgusted

Gee, I guess weight must have something to do with how smart a person is. I never noticed that before. Reporters are discriminating against heavy people. Why wasn't this reporter fired? They would have been if they had asked Obama if his being black would affect his governing. Reporters really are a joke!

December 13, 2012 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  23. RINO Bill

It is for the American voter to decide the importance of Mr. Christie's weight.

His potential health issue will make his VP choice that much more important in the campaign and election. Take it from someone who has seen two VPs become presidents.

Also, as a historical not,.the U.S. voter has not elected a fat person to be president since 1908. The weight of history is not on Mr. Christie's side!

December 13, 2012 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  24. mcwsunshine

The weight-haters on this site are further proof that if you have no serious argument or point of view, then attack a candidate personally and be as vile as you can be. You belong attacking tents full of handicapped Americans and children. Cowards and fools

December 13, 2012 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  25. Just Me

It's not ridiculous Christie. Let me help you out here and tell the reason why, since you do not have a clue what the basis is. First, let me say, I don't make light of your weight, and people should not make fun of you. I understand your struggle which is real. It should concern you as much as your family as their are known risk to being someone your size. Your morbid obesity would increase the possibility of your dying in office. I am sure where you are right now, you have Type II diabetes, and or some degree of hypertension. You cannot continue with this weight and not expect to run into complications.

The office of the presidency is a very demanding & stressful job. We all have seen how the men that have held that office turned gray overnight. With your obesity plus stress, you will be at tremendous risk for a massive coronary event which will send the nation the nation in mourning, disrupt the government, and send the markets into a free fall.

Christie, here is some good advise. I have watched you drag around that excess weight for some time now. It's time to address it before it's too late. Get gastric bypass surgery. Obviously, what you are doing has and is not working. Think of your health and family first. If you keep up with that weight, you will run into some serious medical trouble. To hell with the Presidency. Your life is more important. Once you are healthy you may consider it, but for right now, I urge you to focus on your health. Dont let the media hoard you into your premature death. And I am saying this with the utmost respect and friendliest of advise. When you dead, nothing matters other than your soul. And if you drop dead, the people egging you on to run for office, would be saying before you are even buried that your were over weight, and should have done something about it.

December 13, 2012 07:57 am at 7:57 am |