Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency
December 12th, 2012

Christie says he's not too heavy for presidency

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie pushed back at critics doubting his ability to lead because of his weight, calling it "ridiculous" to say he couldn't be president because of his size.

Though Christie admitted to ABC's Barbara Walters he's "more than a little" overweight in an interview released in part Wednesday, when asked if his size could hinder his ability to run for the White House he said "I don't know what the basis for that is."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I've done this job pretty well, and I think people watched me for the last number of weeks in Hurricane Sandy doing 18 hour days and getting right back up the next day and still being just as effective in the job, so I don't really think that would be a problem," he said of his weight.

Following a grueling campaign schedule touting former Republican nominee Mitt Romney's White House credentials in the 2012 election cycle, Christie, a popular and candid conservative, was seriously considered by Romney's campaign as a potential running mate before the Republican standard bearer chose Rep. Paul Ryan from Wisconsin.

And with soaring approval ratings following his widely lauded response to Superstorm Sandy, which wreaked havoc on the East Coast, the Republican governor is rumored to be mulling a run for the White House in 2016.

Christie announced in November he would seek a second term as New Jersey's governor, citing more work to be done to rehabilitate his state in the aftermath of the storm.

"I felt like it just wasn't right to leave that question unanswered. And so, it's answered. I'm running. I'm in this race. I'm in this race to win," he said after filing for re-election. "I love this job more than any other job I've had in my life, and I don't see any reason to leave it voluntarily."

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Chris Christie
  1. Jack in Florida

His weight is an issue for HIS health!!!!!!! If his numbers are out of whack and he has diabetes, it is about his health that is more important, than if he can accomplish the job of President. He needs a good cardiologist, to make sure that his heart is healthy and can take the stress of the job. He is a young guy, that falls into the catagory that have sudden heart attacks.

December 13, 2012 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  2. Ken

This question has no merit. Does Barbara WaWa speech problem stop her. Ridiculous

December 13, 2012 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  3. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Here is something to boggle the mind. Let's say Christie becomes THE nominee in 2016 (don't worry Jeb, Marco, Rand and Paul – only speculating here). Now let's say he picks someone like Perry, Bachmann or O'Donnell as his running mate (yeah, I know Christie is smarter than that – just speculating again) because they really couldn't overshadow him on their best days. I would be willing to bet if he won he would have more doctors attending him 24/7 than Kennedy and Reagan combined! After all, who would want any of those three as the default President!

December 13, 2012 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  4. Edward

If you have no self control, no control over your addiction to eating, then you sould not be given control of the world's largest super power. Think how huge the Earth could become.

December 13, 2012 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  5. hubert39

If he could lose around 100 pounds by 2016 he would be a great example for people wanting to lose weight.
    Reading about Republicans. Out of about 25 he is the only one with common sense. Or a norman person.
    Romney was OK... until the right wing conservative nuts in the Tea Party told him what to do and how to run for the
    presidency.
    No matter if you are a Democrat or Republican we need a person to be president for ALL the people. Not just the super rich white Republicans.

December 13, 2012 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  6. WMesser58

I do not care about his weight it just shows the prejudice of people against fat people being one myself I do not care what people think because I was thin and slender in my youth I didn't wake up one day and say hey let me get morbidly obsess to make your life miserable my problem with Christie is he's a bully that will not answer to anyone and thinks because he's big he can stop people from asking questions he doesn't want to answer or will berate someone until he can shut them down. A public servant is just that a servant that better be prepared to answer any questions not the one's he chooses. I can't see why anyone thinks of Christie as anything but a blowhard who has been proven to misappropriate his position think using public vehicles (helicopter to get to a sporting function) and yet is allowed to get away with it. Way to spend your tax dollars NJ.

December 13, 2012 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  7. Wake up People!

I may not like the guy but I will give him props for telling it like it is in regards to how he treated President Obama during the storm. I also watched him talking to Barbara Walters last night. He stated he was doing his job and he was. I can't believe the people that act like he should have spit in the Presidents face or something. His state needed help. President Obama offered him help and he was grateful. So what??? I mean really. People actually blame him for Willard losing the Presidency. Really?? The biggest, phoniest, lying flip flopper to EVER run for POTUS, whom never had any problem offending any and everyone that wasn't wealthy like him. And you people actually thought he was going to win??? The guy that FLAT OUT REFUSED to release his taxes just like EVERY other candidate starting with his own FATHER.

If you want to blame anyone, blame yourselves that chose Willard the rat and Lyin Ryan. And please don't forget Fox Entertainment News.

December 13, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  8. JG

I am excited to think we have a chance of someone like Christi as President. His health is most important; however, we have seen that size doesn't mean a good or ineffective leader. Go for it; I would vote for him.

December 13, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  9. Mike

Just Me is right on the money. And if Governor Christie is unable to deal w/ his girth, who is to say he will make all the right decisions as president. Whether is willing to accpet it or not, his weight will affect his performance. There is no getting around that. BTW, I appreciate the Governor's forthrightness but his tact is lacking. There are right and wrong ways to be direct.

December 13, 2012 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  10. Matt Sewell

They were just trying to push his buttons to see if he would explode on them, but he handled it professionally. Forget about the fiscal cliff, let's worry about Chris Christie's weight. What a joke of a news report...

December 13, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  11. Jt_flyer

I don't know his Exact Body Mass Index but I believe the clinical term is Obese.

December 13, 2012 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  12. Peace

I have questions for Christie: Have you ever tried to lose wait on your own? Have you ever asked any help from people you think they can render it to you? If the answer is NO, I regret you do not need even to think to run for president. Remember charity starts at home!

December 13, 2012 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  13. MrBeenThere

Wife and I are both over weight, every time we are looked at for insurance/ Health, jobs we are assets to the bottom $$ of what it's going to cost them to insure us and if we can do the Job.
    Shouldn't it be the same for you Mr. Christie ???? you are what would be called a liability the chance of you dropping dead from a massive coronary with a cheese burger filling your mouth is 98%, in the middle of a job it would be given to the next in line to take up your job.
    It's going to take your party about 20 years to come up with a candidate that isn't completely laughable to ever compete for the White House again........... This country would be screwed

December 13, 2012 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  14. Hugh Jass

"Liberals only segregate and discriminate against fat people.." Wow, you are downright nice compared to your raving loonie friends. How civilized of you to not say that we also eat babies and use Bibles for toilet paper, or were you just saving that for the next post? Also, gay people don't "choose" to be gay, ugh, who'd choose that? But a drunkard can give up drink. I am not really seeing a stereotype of right-wing bigots making fat jokes, but I guess you listen to more of them than I do.

December 13, 2012 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  15. Joe

Only a republican would be asked a question like that. You liberals are the real intolerant ones. Liberals will make fun or light of people for their weight or race or for their disability if the target of their ridicule does not agree with their policies. Then they make up lies in order to call the other side racist and bigots. The problem is they need to look in the mirror to see they are the ones with the real problem. They are the hypocrites. Yes Barbara Walters is a hypocrite. She would never ask a liberal that same question.

December 13, 2012 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  16. Eric

I won't comment on the weight directly, but those of you saying "if he can't control his weight, then he can't control our country" should remember that our current President is a smoker. So if you think Christie isn't competent based on his addiction, then Obama isn't either.

December 13, 2012 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  17. snowdogg

He better hope the WH has the bathtub made specially for William Howard Taft is still in the basement storeroom.

December 13, 2012 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  18. Al-NY,NY

GonzoinHouston

He's not fat, he's "gravitationally superior
    ---------

You're right...now i see why there's always a set of muffins and donuts circling him. He's got MOONS!!

December 13, 2012 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  19. SiggieF

Although I would never vote for the man because of his political views, it is true that both Grover Cleveland, the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms, and William Howard Taft, were obese.

December 13, 2012 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  20. Ed Fl

Fortunately the American people elect a President ,not the porky old man who thinks he could become President.All we have to see AGAIN and AGAIN a fat old guy come to a litte league field in a Helicopter and NEED a limo to take him the short distance from a field to the stands to watch his Child play little league baseball. That image isn't one to impress voters of your incapacity to be responsible QUICKLY if needed.

December 13, 2012 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  21. Sue E

He says he can't figure out why he is so fat–uh, it is because you EAT TOO MUCH and don't exercise!!!

December 13, 2012 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  22. Tony in Maine

@Eric – Our current President WAS a smoker. Of course, he's a Democrat, so he must be lying right. Go back to watching Hennity and O'Really?.

I'm not a huge fan of Chris Christie, but it has nothing to do with weight. It's style. He is a polished version of our governor here in Maine. Their fans say they are plain spoken. I call them at best rude or at worst bullies.

December 13, 2012 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  23. Ed Fl

Christie current size and demeanor do NOT represent someone that uses good judgement on his health or his ability to move quickly if needed much less run a Country.

December 13, 2012 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  24. Hogan's Goat

Seriously for a moment, president is a job that kills people. Your hair turns white and you don't sleep, and everyone says they know better than you what you should do. "Just outlaw poverty and then pass a law saying everyone gets to be rich, and things will be much better." MY blood pressure would be through the roof, and I'm skinny. Christie would pop and bleed out through his ears during his second year in office. Quit riling him up and trying to give him heart attacks.

December 13, 2012 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  25. Pax

President TAFT, anyone? Our 27th President (1909-1913) Wiliam Howard Taft weighed in at up to 340 pounds. He lived another 17 years after he left office.

December 13, 2012 09:15 am at 9:15 am |