December 14th, 2012

CNN's GUT CHECK for December 14, 2012

CNN’s POLITICAL GUT CHECK | for December 14, 2012 | 5 p.m.
- n. a pause to assess the state, progress or condition of the political news cycle

BREAKING: Children and adults gunned down in Connecticut school massacre

- Mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut
- 20 children, six adults are dead, police say

Eighteen students were pronounced dead at the scene, and two others died at the hospital, said Lt. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police. The six adults died at the scene.

President Obama’s Complete Statement

“This afternoon, I spoke with Governor Malloy and FBI Director Mueller. I offered Governor Malloy my condolences on behalf of the nation and made it clear he will have every single resource that he needs to investigate this heinous crime, care for the victims, counsel their families.

“We've endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years. And each time I learn the news, I react not as a president, but as anybody else would as a parent. And that was especially true today. I know there's not a parent in America who doesn't feel the same overwhelming grief that I do.

“The majority of those who died today were children - beautiful, little kids between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. They had their entire lives ahead of them - birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own. Among the fallen were also teachers, men and women who devoted their lives to helping our children fulfill their dreams.

“So our hearts are broken today for the parents and grandparents, sisters and brothers of these little children, and for the families of the adults who were lost.

“Our hearts are broken for the parents of the survivors, as well, for as blessed as they are to have their children home tonight, they know that their children's innocence has been torn away from them too early and there are no words that will ease their pain.

“As a country, we have been through this too many times. Whether it is an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago, these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods and these children are our children. And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.

“This evening, Michelle and I will do what I know every parent in America will do, which is hug our children a little tighter, and we'll tell them that we love them, and we'll remind each other how deeply we love one another. But there are families in Connecticut who cannot do that tonight, and they need all of us right now. In the hard days to come, that community needs us to be at our best as Americans, and I will do everything in my power as president to help, because while nothing can fill the space of a lost child or loved one, all of us can extend a hand to those in need, to remind them that we are there for them, that we are praying for them, that the love they felt for those they lost endures not just in their memories, but also in ours.

“May God bless the memory of the victims and, in the words of Scripture, heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds.”

Filed under: CNN's Gut Check
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

Amen.

December 14, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Weep, America.

December 14, 2012 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. WiredweirdinSF

I wonder if he has any sympathy for Governor Snyder of Michigan after his corrupt union buddies issued threats against his family and are telling the world the will demonstrate at and disrrupt his daughters soccer game? This is another hypocrisy of democrat liberals. Sure wish we had an honest, intelligent, uncorrupt president.

December 14, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. Phyllis G Williams

Children need to be told from birth as my parents did, that Heaven and Earth are given free of cost to those who LOVE
    and those who Hate go to Hell, the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20: 12-15). I was born with an open heart, gave my heart
    to God, and He sealed it.

December 14, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. Phyllis G Williams

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    to God, and He sealed it.

December 14, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. Yvette

I hope to the lord they help these parents to be able to go on. ):
    I hope God has mercey on our soles . <\3
    Thank you Barack Obama . I wonder if Mitt would have done anything. Not to be offensive. ):

December 14, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. M.S Demeanor

Wiredweirdin SF Is this really the place for this? CHILDREN JUST DIED and you are trying to bring politics into this?

December 14, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Gurgyl

Pass GUN-CONTROL LAWS. Ban guns altogether. Criminal has guns why not we–is BS argument. NRA IS CULPRITS HERE. Pass gun laws. We can survive.

December 14, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. SP

Weep for the unborn as well

December 14, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Lisa P.

SP

Weep for the unborn as well
    December 14, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Maybe they are better off, given the world that we've created.

December 14, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  11. S Clark

@wiredweiredensf Really? really? in face of such an unsmeakable tradgedy all you can do is drag up more hateful comments on the President. You are one very, very sick individual.

December 14, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |