Obama orders flags to half-staff after shooting
December 14th, 2012
1 year ago

Obama orders flags to half-staff after shooting

(CNN) - President Barack Obama on Friday ordered flags be flown at half-staff through Tuesday, December 18, following a deadly shooting in Connecticut. He wrote in a proclamation:

"As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, December 18, 2012. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Kelby in Houston, TX

I don't need my flag to fly at half staff.
    We need gun control
    What is the value of human life?

December 14, 2012 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Ochieng' George

It's painful and senseless for such a brutal mass shooting to happen to innocent Americans...something must be done...my sincere condolences to the bereaved.

December 14, 2012 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. Facts don't Lie

"Someday at Christmas there will be no war, for we'll have learned what Christmas is for...when we have found what life is really worth there will be peace on earth"

December 14, 2012 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Sheila - Texas

my sincere condolences to the bereaved – I agree, something must be done – it's happening more often – it seems like. Makes a person wonder what type of Parents the so called "shooter" have, or had. The thing that comes to my mind is this : How were those type of people "Brought Up" ?? Makes you wonder what type of mentality the PARENTS had. Did they BOTH work ? Did they Teach them right from wrong ? Were they THERE, when the kid came home from School every evening ? I mean, doesn't it beg those type of Questions ?? It's like : IF a bank Robber keeps on robbing banks, and ends up robbing 20 or 30 banks, ( before he finally gets caught) what type of PARENTS did that Bank Robber have ? Was he brought up by One Parent ? Or two parents ? I can go on & on.
    it's a sad day for this country, and a sad day for those families.

December 14, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. marita

I'm literally sick upon hearing + following this + cannot wrap my mind around it! I would like nothing more than an explanation as to WHY this happened! Maybe sometimes horrific things take place because some people are just truly evil or their minds short-circuit? I cannot begin to understand how the parents/families feel + my heart goes out to them.

December 14, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. PJ

@Sheila – Texas
    *****
    The killer's mother was a teacher at the school and he killed her too. Obviously she was educated, raising her
    kids on her own (divorced) and probably doing the best she could.
    He might have killed his own brother too. The stories change every hour.
    She is dead. Maybe we will never know. So, maybe you could just pray for the victims, and save your
    judgements until all the facts are known.

December 14, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |