Perry says concealed handgun license should extend 'anywhere'
December 18th, 2012

Perry says concealed handgun license should extend 'anywhere'

(CNN) – Amid calls for tighter restrictions on guns following last week's deadly rampage in Connecticut, Texas Republican Gov. Rick Perry said at a tea party event Monday that anyone with a concealed handgun license in the Lone Star State should be able to take guns on public property – including schools.

"In the state of Texas, with our concealed handgun license, if you have been duly backgrounded and trained and you are a concealed handgun license carrying individual, you should be able to carry your handgun anywhere in this state," said Perry, who later added a person has the right to prohibit guns on their private property.

Provided they have the proper training and license, teachers should have "access to weapons in their school," Perry said. Individual school districts should be able to determine whether or not to allow firearms on their campuses, he said.

At least one school jurisdiction in Texas already allows teachers to carry guns – the Harrold school district, located 175 miles northwest of Dallas, began allowing its employees to carry guns in 2008, as long as they obtained the necessary license.

On Friday, the district's superintendent David Thweatt said the set-up meant his schools were doing everything they could to protect students.

"Is that 100%? No," Thweatt told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Nothing is 100%. But what we do know is that we've done all we can to protect our children."

The shooting Friday in Connecticut has sparked promises from several federal lawmakers to reintroduce tighter gun control measures, ranging from a reinstatement of a federal ban on assault weapons to banning the sale of high-capacity magazines.

Perry stipulated that lawmakers have a responsibility to "do everything we can to make sure that those types of evils are restricted the best that it can be," but that citizens should be wary of reactive decisions from the federal government.

"One of the things I hope we don't see from our federal government is this knee-jerk reaction from Washington, D.C., when there is an event that occurs that they come in and think they know the answer," Perry said.

On the day of the massacre, Perry requested his state's education commissioner review emergency operation plans in schools, saying it was "essential that we ensure all Texas schools are equipped and ready to carry out a strategic plan to secure the safety of students and staff in the event of a threat such as the one that occurred today."

At the event Monday, Perry also dropped a hint about his political future, including a potential sequel to his failed bid for the 2012 presidential nomination.

The Texas governor said his 2012 run, which ended January, was an "extraordinary experience," and that despite his loss, "I would do it again."

Filed under: Gun rights • Rick Perry
  1. JW33

Our local schools have Deputy Sheriffs assigned to each middle and high school. Their presence contributes to a more orderly student population. They don't act like one man swat teams or dictatorial police officers. They keep the presence of drugs down, and ensure order. They are also available to defend students in case some nutcase tries something insanely stupid such as what happened in Newtown, Conn. We need to spend more of our tax money on getting mental help for those who need it, and providing accountable safety assurances for our children. If that means putting more police officers in schools, then so be it. Taking away law abiding citizens guns is not the answer. That was tried before in Germany and Russia, just to name a couple of places. No one needs a large clip, or an assault weapon if you're not on a swat team or in the military.

December 18, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  2. Anonymous

I think the concept that many of you are missing is that people go into schools and malls and theatres and commit these mass murders because they know that the law Abiding citizens are not carrying and are defenseless. You don't hear about people committing these mass murders in police stations do you? (with the exception of the Fort Hood Shooter) It is more about prevention than having a shoot out. And personally as a father of 4 I would pray that someone in my child's school has the means and ability to put an end any violent rampage by anyone attempting to hurt my children. I Think that every Fit Adult should be required to carry a weapon... it would sure cut down on violent crimes. Most people commit violent crimes against those who have no means to defend themselves.

December 18, 2012 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  3. Kris

Rick Perry is a Power Thinker, huh? You can't make this stuff up.

December 18, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Ryan asked:

I like how one school jurisdiction already allows this to happen. Can anyone tell me who's actually incharge in this state?
    --------------
    Oops, I don't know. I think his name is Gov. MacGruber.

December 18, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. MrsTeacher

I am a teacher and I would quit my job before carrying a weapon into school daily. I grew up with a responsible gun owner for a father and was taught right and wrong. Even so, I would never bring a weapon into a school.

December 18, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Mason

Sniffit

"We have church shootings too. Should we arm the clergy?"
    ________________________________
    We have armed policeman in our church inside and outside the building. Alot of churches do these days. I could name 4-5 off the top of my head in my city. I hunted with a policeman in my old church and he packed heat in church in plain clothes on Sunday. It is not unsual at all these days and I can gurantee there is more security you cannot see in churches than you realize.

December 18, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. Roy

And passing another gun law is the answer???!!! Get real, the question to ask it how could we have stopped him? Another law passed, would not have stopped him as he broke several before ever entering the building. If he didn't have the semi automatic weapon (no such thing as an assault rifle), then he would just have used the handguns, which are just a potent. If all guns were outlawed tomorrow, it would not have prevented this. Statist always think the government is the answer. A few well armed teachers and/or administrators could have stopped this quickly or even before it got started!

December 18, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. pomdter

Finally, some one who cares about the saftey of the children! Imagine how many lives could have been saved in Conn if any of the teachers were armed!

December 18, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. hr

I am a proud Texan.. But comments like these (btw, i never voted for this guy) makes me hang my head in shame.. It sounds like all Texans are gun crazy.. The funny thing that these folks don't realize is that guns kill people.. Coincidentally, The same day when this happened here, in US, similar thing happened in China (again kids were involved) Guess what, no kid died.. because there were no guns.. The crazy guy had knife and injured kids.. NONE OF THE KIDS DIED.. If perry thinks that he can represent US with these thoughts and vision, he is delusional.

December 18, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. jj

OMG, when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?

December 18, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. Ram Riva-Calexico CA

TX Gov Perry wants anyone to hold a concealed weapon as his solution to violent crimes in the US......Gov Perry wants to convert the United States into the "OK Corral...."
    Wait a minute he also said he wants to run for President again!!.....same as Trump.....1700's bubble....they simply cannot get out!!!!.....

December 18, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Jeff

If I want to carry a gun and shoot people I would have chosen law enforcement. I just want to be a teacher and teach. I don't want to have life and death responsibility. I also was under the impression Perry was a big state's right guy. He thinks we should all be bound by Texas's gun laws regarding carrying of weapons. As a non citizen of Texas why should I be bound by their rules.

December 18, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Kelly

ridiculous. I've had this discussion how many times? Scenario: child in school gets in altercation – has to be removed physically, grabs teachers weapon – instant mass shooting.

December 18, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. Sparty

Ghandi observed that an eye for an eye will only end up making the whole world blind; Perry's gun-for-a-gun view will end up making the whole world dead

December 18, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  15. khan

What's the matter with you? Don't you see the logic in arming a school teacher with a handgun to go up against a maniac with legally purchased high-powered, high-capacity, semiautomatic firearms, a Glock 9mm and a Sig Sauer pistol and body armor? I think Perry hasn't gone far enough in his comment. Why not arm the kids too? We could create more jobs in this country if we design and manufacturer kid size weaponry, supply them with ammo that will make heads explode and send them to school.

Sincerely,
    NRA (bozos)

December 18, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. Mr. Moderate

I'm sorry that is not the kind of world I want to live in. What does that say about American exceptionalism when we are no different than Somalia or Afghanistan with everyone armed.

When will NRA members realize that they are being thoroughly dupped by the organization? They are bombarded with paranoid messages about losing their freedom and about how more guns make us safer (then we should be the safest nation on the face of the earth) and bully politicians into loosening gun laws. There are more insane shootings which ups the paranoia level (one local promoter of gun shows includes "Get your guns while you still can" in its promotional materials) which increases gun sales enriching the people truly in control of the NRA – the gun corporations. It must be sad to live one's life in such fear and paranoia that they feel the need to be armed at all times. Reality is unless you are in a gang or dealing drugs, the chances of anything happening are extremely remote.

December 18, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. TM

Wait a minute, aren't school districts, governments? So, we're giving permission to the staff (SROs already have access) of a school to carry. I thought gun advocates pronounced that the Second Amendment right to a gun was to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. In my experience as a student and later a teacher, schools were periodically considered a tyrannic, not democratic. This just plays into the hands of the radical anti-social miscreants. Watch for an increase in home schooling where the parents really know whose carrying. Better lock them up – guns that is.

December 18, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. And

I agree with Gov. Perry. I live in CT near the tragedy. I wonder if some lives could have been spared if someone, anyone but the coward who did it were armed. The answer is not more gun laws. Laws do not prevent things like this, but maybe armed guards would have. Ask the President, Bloomberg and Rahm, they are all surrounded by armed guards. If its good enough for them then why not our own children?

December 18, 2012 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  19. hsteacher

Ask the parents of one of the deceased children if they wish their teacher had a concealed weapons permit and the ability to protect their children…

December 18, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. David

The mass murderers never go on shooting-sprees in "gun-presebt" zones. If the libs want to hang out in these "gun free " places or send their children to them while rolling the dice that the tragedy happens to someone else then fine by me.

Let the libs have their "gun free" schools and the right can have their protected schools. We'll keep track of how many teachers go postal vs how many crazies attack the liberal charade zone.

December 18, 2012 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  21. Frankie

Well, from the campaign we know this guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed so...... ya.

December 18, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

There are two main arguments in America regarding assault weapons. Gun advocates say if all Americans have guns in their possession, gun related crimes would decline rapidly. On the other hand, anti-gun advocates say if we ban all assault weapons, crime would decline rapidly. So would more guns or less guns result in the decline of gun violence in America? Here's a scenereo for ya...What if a fight breaks out at Texas stadium and every fan in the building is armed? What are the prospects that NO one would be shot to death? Its likely IMPOSSIBLE! Now, what if a fight breaks out at Texas stadium and no one is armed? What are the chances that NO one would be shot to death? The likelyhood of that is 100%

December 18, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  23. Dennis - TX

No, not everyone in TX agrees with our apparent "Governor for life" – but, as he does a great job in pandering to his base, he continues to get reelected after suffering through bruising primary battles. Many of GFL Perry's thoughts, beliefs, and positions are really out there and I strongly doubt that he really believes all of the stuff that he spouts.

December 18, 2012 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  24. Alex

I've got an idea.Why not simply assign state militia to each school and have soldiers posted at all entrances with chain guns? I exaggerate for effect, but Perry makes the assumption that it will always be an outsider who causes these massacres. I'd rather have someone posted in each school who is not staff member, is not connected to the students, and who can keep close tabs on the weapons. Sound like a police state? Hey, if staff members are expected to be armed to the teeth and prepared to end people's lives we're there already. May as well leave it to the professionals.

December 18, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. Knuckles the Republican

Perry you have rocks in your head. We need to limit the sale of military style weapons, I can tell you from experience here in Montana the deer/elk are not armed so why should carry a weapon with 30 rounds in it? If you can't bring down game with
    3 rounds do you really think 27 more rounds are going to help.

December 18, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |