Palin bashes Time magazine's 'Person of the Year'
December 20th, 2012

Palin bashes Time magazine's 'Person of the Year'

(CNN) - Sarah Palin, who's been listed twice as one of Time Magazine's "100 Most Influential People," is taking issue with the publication's decision to name President Barack Obama as its "Person of the Year."

Poking fun at herself, the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee said the magazine lacks a certain degree of relevancy.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Time magazine, I think there's some irrelevancy there to tell you the truth. I mean consider their list of the most influential people in the country and in the world. Some who have made that list? Yours truly. That oughta tell ya something right there regarding the credence we should give Time magazine and their list of people," she said Wednesday on Fox News.

Managing editor Richard Stengel wrote Obama deserved the recognition because he "forged a new majority, turned weakness into opportunity and sought, amid great adversity, to create a more perfect union."

But Palin, who along with 2008 GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain, lost to the Democratic presidential ticket four years ago, said "those are some silly words chosen to describe Barack Obama."

"When I first heard that, the first thing that popped in my mind was: What the heck has he done? Really, what has he done, except drive us over a fiscal cliff," she said. "What has he done to unify and make our nation a more perfect union? For the life of me, I don't know."

The former Alaska governor was chosen as one of the magazine's most influential people in 2009 and held a top spot on the same list in 2010. She was also considered one of four runners-up for "Person of the Year" in 2008, when Obama first received the title, and as someone "who mattered" in 2010.

She argued that "the path towards a perfect union is our Constitution" but said Obama "sees it as a charger of negatives" that needs serious changes.

Palin stoked speculation for much of 2011 as she considered a presidential bid but ultimately decided to stay out of the running. She largely stayed out of the presidential race, instead choosing to campaign for conservative Senate candidates in GOP primary battles.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. willard43

Talk about irrelevancy! Here's an irrelevant political figure talking about an irrelevant print magazine, just to further an irrelevant Tea Party attack on a man who's already won his second term. At this point Palin simply hurts any cause she attaches herself to. Just go home.

December 20, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. tnsurge

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah.......it must be hard to always be on the losing side.

December 20, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  3. Michael

Well, at least she realizes that she is quickly losing what little relevance that she ever had. There may be some semblance of a brain in that noggin after all.

December 20, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. Wack Canuck

Sarah Palin calling Time Magazine irrelevant? Hahahaha! The very definition of the pot calling the kettle black.

December 20, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. kd

She's still a sore "LOSER"

December 20, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  6. Kentucky Burbon

"those are some silly words chosen to describe Barack Obama."

Ask Osoma Bin – Laden, or Mitt Romney, Or John McCain, or the Grand Ole Party, or the Tea party, if those are silly words... This is how ignorant and distasteful she and the rest of the party is: they refuse to call him President – yet they love this country sooo much. Inspite of those I just named, He has greatly improved America! Hail to the Chief!!!

December 20, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  7. joe

Is TIME one of the magazines that Sarah reads ? We never did get that list.

December 20, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. Sarah Palin

I hate being irrelevant. No one listens to me unless I say something silly, so I have to take outta my you-know-what to make people notice me. HEY LOOK AT ME! I USED TO BE PRETTY BUT NOW I'M JUST A USED UP GRANDMA WHO WAS ONCE GOVERNOR UNTIL I QUIT!

December 20, 2012 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. RL

Sarah Palin is a non-entity. She says these things to keep herself on the radar. She is a has been, one hit wonder, whose 15 minutes are up.

December 20, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. Aaron

Sarah, now you started reading Time Magazine? lol

December 20, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. RINO Bill

Maybe she could be nominated for the Mother of the Year if any of her kids had a marriage that lasted longer than 18 months.

December 20, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  12. imalindatoo

The ever prescient Sarah Palin, always spot on, you bethca!

December 20, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  13. Bill_Rocker

Whether you like her or hate her, that's what's irrelevant. The fact is she's right. She's so, so right.

December 20, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  14. Mike

God why won't this woman just go away? She is an embarrssment to the female gender as well as the GOP. .

December 20, 2012 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  15. RinosRwinos

Sarah Palin is person of the rear. The only accomplishment I can see from Sarah Palin is running her mouth.

December 20, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  16. Data Driven

So she admits to "lacking a certain degree of relevance", yet still feels bound to comment on every little news story? Her faux self-deprecation and her arrogance amount to the same thing. I would advise her to go see what the King James Bible has to say about envy and coveting - that's step # 1. Step # 2 would be to hang up her pundit jock and go attend to her complicated family situation.

December 20, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  17. Patricia

She couldn't even NAME this magazine and didn't even know it existed when Katie Couric posed her rocket science of a question to her.

December 20, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  18. Ratified1791

Governor Sarah Palin kicks butt while on a shoe string budget, affects the entire national debate and composition of congress. "That" is why she is feared like no other politician in America.

Four Years of liberal bias, bigotry, sexism, and hate have failed to stop the nations love for a genuine American like Governor Sarah Palin

December 20, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. Anonymous

Look up the word "irrelevant" in Webster and Sarah "What's her name"
    picture is the only definition you will see. No words needed. Sarah who?

December 20, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  20. Dumb Nut

The President is NOT relevant, but your opinion is, Sarah? You are consistent, I'll give you that. Always stupid.

December 20, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  21. AEP

Really Kelly 51, REALLY? Divisiveness is inherent in our political system, except when taken to Extremes as has happened by the republican party, to the detriment of this country and in some ways the world. Oh & I love to look at Palin, she is kinda cute, but thats about it...

December 20, 2012 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  22. David

why would anyone want to listen to this "has-been" "wanna be"?

December 20, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. SFRich

Oh my, Ms. Irrelevant doesn't care for Time's choice of President Obama as 2012 Person of the Year.

George W. was Time's choice in 2004, the year of his re-election. I'd bet she was thrilled about that.

December 20, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  24. John Stratford

I actually agree that Obama being named the person of the year now is just nonsense... maybe when he was running for president, but definitely not now... I think Malala should have been person of the year. Sarah Palin being person of the year would be a bigger joke than Obama....

December 20, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. MKB

Who really cares what Sarah Palin has to say anymore; oh wait, the media does. Anything to keep her in the public eye. I the media would unit and quit asking irrelevant has-beens their opinion we would be angered to read or hear what she thinks!!! I'm not implying that she is totally ignorant, or am I, oh well.

December 20, 2012 10:43 am at 10:43 am |